shape
carat
color
clarity

If an SI2 in not eye clean face up, is the Cert then considered false?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

okaynow

Rough_Rock
If an SI2 in not eye clean face up, is the Cert then considered false? Is this reasonable grounds for a diamond return since it should have been graded SI3 or I1 to begin with? Now that my line of credit has expanded, I''m ready to for the virtual swipe. I''ve finally decided to go for Cut and Carat. Color and clarity have been compromised. It''s either go superideal, or AGS 0. I''m assuming the super fantastic brilliance, symetry, fire, scintillation, and master precision slicing, grinding, cutting, and polishing of the Cut will mask all evil SI2 inclusions.

I''ve got a few scoped out. Once I do the ol'' "ee nee mee nee miney mo." I''ll contact the Cut Pimp for my ho.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is my personal (and business) standard.

I look for a stone that has no visible inclusions seen in good light (not lab light) by a trained person with good vision (not exceptional). This test is done before knowing the position of the inclusion (ie it has not been louped).

I find less than 1/2 the GIA SI2 stones I see acceptable.
I suggest you choose SI1 as a base line.
I recomend >H

Check out the tutorial here to find out about AGS 0 grades.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on what Garry said. Each stone is different... You can find an eye clean I 1 as well as a VS 2 with eye visible inclusions! Nowdays GIA is quite liberal in its SIs grades. AGS and HRD are stricter.

Giangi

okaynow

Rough_Rock
I see.

I just kind of don't get it. From what I've read so far, it seems that an SI2 is either really an SI1(eye clean), or an I1(not eye clean).

If so, then what's the point of an SI2 anyways? Is there really such type of an inclusion that falls between and SI1 and I1? What is considered a true SI2? Does anyone have links to pictures of a true SI2? I keep favoring the SI2 because going SI2 gets me into the 1.x ct ideal cut territory.

I have another question. Do feathers wash out under normal lighting conditions?

Thanks for all the help guys.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please don't take this as cynical or an attempt at being funny at your expense.

SI1 stones have less inclusions or less prominent inclusions than SI2 stones. SI2 stones have less inclusions or less prominent ones than I1 stones. Especially at 1ct and larger, the "eye clean" factor has little to do with GIA grading of clarity. It is a subjective subject and takes experience to make the determination with a degree of intuitive understanding and repeatability.

As a consumer or a newer grader, one will make all sorts of errors in judging clarity. There is no special problem in separating SI2 stones from SI1 or I1 stones, but calling a diamond I1 hurts it when it comes to making a sale. Labs are prone to grade a bit more lax at SI2 because of this.....

I agree with Garry. SI1 is a smarter cut off point.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results