shape
carat
color
clarity

If a stone falls out of tension setting is it hard to reset?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Over the summer I saw a very unique ring in my local Jeweler’s showcase - I split my time between two states so he’s “local” for a few months out of the year. I wanted him to make me one but with my own stone. I gave him the stone in the summer and paid; I said he could wait on it and get it for the holidays. Well it’s so sad bc he passed away suddenly. I told his wife (they ran the business together) that I would pay the balance to buy the original instead. As bad luck would have it, she dropped it as she was about to pack it and it hit in just the right spot and the stone came out. I can either just get my money back or she said that she will send me the ring and stone and I can find someone to reset and she won’t charge me any additional $
(I owed about $250). The thing is though is that it’s tension set with, as she said “an underbezel for support “. I haven’t seen it in months so can’t remember clearly. My main worry is being able to reset it since it’s that type of setting and not just prongs or something. The other thing that made it unusual is that the stone was purposely tilted at an angle. It’s hard to explain and I’m waiting for her to send me a picture. But I made a really awful drawing and where the emerald is - just imagine it’s tilted. it has a European shank. I’m curious what you may think especially those of you familiar with tension settings. Would this be a tough reset?
image.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It may not matter but it's not a tension set if it's got an underbezel. That's a channel set. How difficult it will be to set depends on the details. Some are great trouble, others are relatively easy. If the store remains open, I would suggest you have THEM set it. It's their design and it'll involve less negotiation over the angled setting. That eliminates the liability issues for damages. Emeralds are a bit fragile and channel setting them is pretty aggressive.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
If the store remains open, I would suggest you have THEM set it. It's their design and it'll involve less negotiation over the angled setting. That eliminates the liability issues for damages. Emeralds are a bit fragile and channel setting them is pretty aggressive.

I asked her if they had someone who could set the stone and she said no. Things are fresh, so I didn't press her about whether the place would stay open, but my guess is no.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If the stone already fell out of the setting once, I would get my money back and start again with another jeweler and a different, more secure setting.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the stone already fell out of the setting once, I would get my money back and start again with another jeweler and a different, more secure setting.

Me too, putting an emerald in a tension setting doesn't sound like too great an idea.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1 to this.

DK :))

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
I would contact Kris Kildow Jewelry (he is in Michigan) as he does lots of sleek, channel set rings. He is a designer and I have a couple of rings he has done for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results