shape
carat
color
clarity

IDJ Diamond stud questions...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting studs! DH has agreed to buy some for me for my birthday (September- the big 45.) I am going to try to stay around .96 or .98 ctw to save money if that's possible. H-I color, SI1 (eye clean) PS quality (ideal cut stones.) I have a couple of questions...

1. I LOVE the double milgrain bezel setting they do but I don't want it to "stand out" or protrude too far off my earlobe. Is this a poor choice of setting if I don't want that?

2. If I go with 6 prongs, will the earrings droop forward? The martini settings seem to have their center in the earring hole- is that correct? I think that can be prevented with jumbo backs?

3. Does anyone have IDJ earring jackets in the size I am looking at? Do you love them?

Thank you! I lost my .50 carat studs again so I'm looking forward to these. :oops:

Q

Queenie60

I have IDJ studs and earring jackets - love both! Mine are 6 prong with a flat back so that they don't press into my piercing. Yekutiel will find beauties for you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are 0.78 or 0.87 ctw. Backs are flat.
20180726_013037.jpg 20180726_013215.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The right backings will be like push up bras.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like 0.5 ct each is about 5mm which is what my jackets fit. This thread shows me putting cabs in my 3 pointer jackets.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have IDJ's 3 prong martini settings with 2.12ctw stones. They do sit inside the piercing and don't droop forward. There's an old thread in SMTB on those settings. What I disliked about that placement was that they stretched out my piercing over time and irritated it. I ended up upgrading and also changed to low 4 prong basket which works better for my ears.

I never owned their jackets but did try them on. Very nicely made and have a lot of presence.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 5 mm martini set studs (OECs that IDJ set for me) and the 3-pt jackets from IDJ and they are perfection!

_10311-jpg.369770

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! You’re on a bling roll!!! :lol-2:

I like martini vs basket because I don’t like my earrings protruding from my ears. I use LaPousette backs so I never have to worry about them falling off and then just keep them tightly against my ear to keep them from drooping.

As for the double bezels, I love the look too but I think it would be too much metal for your stones. You’re probably looking at at least 2mm of metal, so if you put that in ratio with your 5mm of diamonds it might be overwhelming. BUT, opinions are subjective and you might love the look. To help, here’s an image I came across when I was trying to decide on my setting; they are 1/2ct diamonds, so pretty much exactly how yours will look =)2

A28E4028-C060-4C37-AC9B-8E2D7CFE7039.jpeg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! You’re on a bling roll!!! :lol-2:

I like martini vs basket because I don’t like my earrings protruding from my ears. I use LaPousette backs so I never have to worry about them falling off and then just keep them tightly against my ear to keep them from drooping.

As for the double bezels, I love the look too but I think it would be too much metal for your stones. You’re probably looking at at least 2mm of metal, so if you put that in ratio with your 5mm of diamonds it might be overwhelming. BUT, opinions are subjective and you might love the look. To help, here’s an image I came across when I was trying to decide on my setting; they are 1/2ct diamonds, so pretty much exactly how yours will look =)2

A28E4028-C060-4C37-AC9B-8E2D7CFE7039.jpeg

Hmmm...you might be right.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, btw I found my .50 studs last night. DH put them in a little china box because "they were scattered all over the vanity in the bathroom." He's so great...... I love those little sparklers.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My coworker has 1.1 or 1.2 ctw (can't remember exactly) studs from IDJ with their 3 point jackets and they are fabulous on her!! She got them as her wedding gift to wear the day of - the jackets are blingy enough to dress up any outfit but she loves being able to remove them for a simpler look.
IMG_6010.JPG

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry the pic is so huge!!! As for the setting, I'm not the biggest fan of martini settings for fear of stretching my ear holes since I rarely take earrings off so I'd go for the bezels (doesn't hurt that it gives the illusion of being slightly larger too!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results