shape
carat
color
clarity

Identification of gold Italian link bracelet

jbolo

Rough_Rock
I have an Italian chain bracelet gifted to me some 20 years ago. I think it may be from the 1950's. Its about 19.5cm in length and weighs approximately 30.1g.

I am unable to identify the markings as they look like squiggly marks even with a magnifying glass. The numbers I can read look like .99 or 499 at both end of the bracelet. Any info would be appreciated as would any idea of its valuation.

Thanks

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
499 is not a common metal purity marking, but 999 is... is it possible that what you're reading as 499 is actually a worn version of 999?

.999 would indicate 24 karat gold, or near-pure gold. That's the good news. However, 24 karat (or even .999) gold would be very soft and easily distorted, and it's not likely to have been used for a link bracelet. It's much more likely that the gold would have been layered over some base metal.

Note though that I said "likely," as there may be exceptions out there. Your best bet is to ask a trusted jeweler to test the metal for you. If the bracelet does turn out to be .99 solid gold, enjoy it but wear it with care.

https://bellatory.com/fashion-accessories/750-585-417-gold-markings-jewelry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results