shape
carat
color
clarity

Identical specs but different $?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hawkjr

Rough_Rock
I am a new member and this is my first post to this message board. I''ve been doing a lot of research and shopping recently for an engagement ring and stones. It seems as I do research and get answers more questions pop up! One thing that has been bothering me is the disparity in prices between stones that seem to have specs very closely related.

I just came back from a jeweler and am looking seriously into a Tacori ring (Penguin setting). He''s quoted me $17,200 for both rings ($4,192 engagement & $4,542 wedding), stone (I''ll get to this below) & tax. I won''t get into questions about how good a quote he''s giving me on the rings but am interested for now in the stone.

The stone is a 1.79 radiant cut, VS1, J color for $7,700. I didn''t write down the depth and table. When I got home I typed those specs into pricescope and found one that seems similar. It''s a 1.8 radiant, VS1 J for $6,318. The depth is 62.4% & table is 71%.

Can the depth and table be the difference in $1,400? If not, what other differences could be attributed to this (i.e. dealer markup)?

I''d appreciate any help and advice you all might have.

Signed,
Confused

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the prices of diamonds are not fixed. If you'll pay $8K for the stone, then what vendor wouldn't try to sell it to you for that first? These prices are negotiable.

Many internet vendors are already providing the best price that they can . . . because they know that instead of having in their store face to face, they need to attract you to their site with a good price. I suspect that the difference you are seeing has at least partly to do with the mark-up of the jeweler.

However, things like cut quality and who, if anyone, certified the stone also make a difference. One thing you could try would be to show the jeweler the stone that you get for less elsewhere, and see how much wiggle room he has on the price.

Also, check out the tutorials on this site and Good Old Gold. You need to have more of an idea of what could affect the stone's price so that the jeweler doesn't just give you some crap excuse for the mark-up.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Your local B&M could be accessing the Virtual Inventory Lists, just like Price Scope Vendors do. The wholesalers set their asking price for the diamonds, then the Vendors add their margin. Price Scope Vendors work on relatively low margins. For the local B&M, a big diamond deal such as yours could be the sale of the month. Each Price Scope Vendor has different costs. The same diamond can be offered by different Vendors and every Vendor will have a different price. Some Vendors Drop/Ship the stone. Others have the diamond shipped to them for professional evaluation prior to sale to the buyer.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/12/2004 4:18:04 PM hawkjr wrote:

Can the depth and table be the difference in $1,400?----------------

The answer to your question is "Yes, a subtle difference in the total depth and table measurements of a diamond can result in a difference in price" but more likely, the price difference is due to the percentage of mark-up being charged by the various vendors you are working with. Internet dealers as a general rule work on much lower margins than traditional brick and mortar retailers. We work on an average of 5 - 8% while the jewelry store down the street from us works on a 300% mark-up and we are typical of the average internet dealer in terms of mark-up. The difference between an internet dealer and a brick and mortar retailer is VOLUME, we're able to mark each diamond up less because we're going to sell more, let's face it, our traffic is not restricted to what drives down Main Street U.S.A.

However, it is also important to keep in mind that diamond prices vary by vendor on a cutter level as well as by dealer to dealer here on P.S. and we're willing to bet that there is more going on behind the scenes with regards to that price difference than merely different venues of distribution. The fact is that a difference of $1,400.00 is not substantial enough for the two different venues for that size stone, we're willing to bet that the diamonds are not of equal quality in terms of cut... You need to do more homework, find out specific details about the two diamonds you have been comparing and post the details here for review...

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It really all comes down to markup,most online vendors work on a very low markup,And are basing their profit margin on a huge turnover of diamonds throughout the year.
These low mark up's are beneficial to the consumer's .

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It really all comes down to markup,most online vendors work on a very low markup,And are basing their profit margin on a huge turnover of diamonds throughout the year.
These low mark up's are beneficial to the consumer's .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results