shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas to determine ring size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lee420

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am in a bit of a fix here. I am going to propose to my girlfriend this December while we are vacationing in St. Thomas & I pretty much have the diamond & setting picked out. I don''t, however, know my girlfriend''s ring size.
nono.gif

I did a search of these forums for ''ring size'' & similar searches & found some good stuff, but nothing I could use. The problem is that my girlfriend wears no jewelry whatsoever! She may wear a necklace on occasion but I have never known her to wear a ring of any sort(no bracelets or earrings either).
The only promising idea I have heard so far is to attempt to size her finger with a strip of paper or something while she is sleeping. Thats great & all but she is a fairly light sleeper & if she were to wake up while I was trying the surprise would be ruined!
cry.gif

I know I can get the ring re-sized later but I really want it to fit when I present it to her. Any ideas!?!?

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Lee420,

Ok, let me take a stab at it. I am a pretty good "guesser" when it comes to this situation.
First, you could call her mother, or one of her friends (preferably her best friend). Girls tend to know each others size from shopping together. And like myself, I wear the same size ring finger as my mom. So you could call her and ask? Just a suggestion.

Let me know if it helps~!
wavey.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Would it be possible, by chance, to take her someplace selling handcrafts/jewellery (some sort of festival) and get her to try on a cheap sterling silver ring. Gush over something and insist on buying it for her. She'll have to try it on. Once you have it, you have her ring size. Get her to that counter by having a look at some earrings, if she wears them, saying you want to buy a momento for this outing. A cheap ruse, but it might work.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Size 6 1/2 is the average around the country

If she is under 5 foot 6 inches and weights around a 110 lbs then go for a 5 1/2 or 6 size

If she is heavy then a 7 to 7 1/2

I do this over the phone all the time and guess at it from there discription of the girl.

Seems to work.

Good luck with the weather
1.gif

the Iceman

Lee420

Rough_Rock
Hey Iceman,

She is about 5 feet 4 inches tall & about 105 pounds. So you think a 5.5-6 will work?
She is a little girl but her hands are not that small. In fact, our fingers are pretty much the same length if we hold our hands up against each other & I am 5'10" & 150 pounds.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id go 5.5. Im a 5 ft 5 bigger girl but I have SKINNY fingers.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Girls fingers tend to be long and slender. Her hands are most likely smaller than yours, but the length of fingers might make up for it.

Your GF sounds like a little girl. My FW is a 5.75 based off of a co-workers ring that was >1 ring size too large for her. She just about matches your GF's size and she was a 4.5.

Don't necessarily go by what she has in her jewelry box. Had I done that, I may have gotten a 6.5 since her rings are mostly from street-side stands and what-not. Luckily I have sly friends where were able to get her to try on their rings to get a better idea of size and then report back to me!

reena

Ideal_Rock
i'd also concentrate less on height than on weight and bone structure. i'm almost 5' 9", but i am very small boned so my ring size is about 4 and 1/4.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Or... if you're not in a rush... you can do the cruel thing and...

Just ask her what her ring size is.

Then never mention it again. Get her little un-engagment like gifts when gift giving time comes around. Then she'll give up the idea you might be shopping and then POW!... hit her with the rock. (Not literlly.)

jfaller

Rough_Rock
Take a ring that fits her, and impress it in a bar of soap.

Bikergirl

Shiny_Rock
Height and weight are not a very good way to determine much of anything. I am 5'4", I wear a size zero clothes. I've had people ask me before if I've ever broken 100 lbs. Most people assume I weigh around 85-90 lbs. That's far from the truth - I weigh about 120 lbs. It's all muscle because I work out like a mad woman! For the record, my ring size is 4.5.

What part of the country do you live in? Does she have a pair of winter gloves that you can take to a jeweler when she's not using them?

Does she ever take off her class ring - like when she's in the shower, or working out? If you can get hold of it for about 30 seconds, you can make an impression of it in clay or putty or a bar of soap - anything that will hold the form. Then you can take the impression to the jeweler.

reena

Ideal_Rock
the poster said that his girlfriend does not wear any rings of any sort.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/15/2004 11:45:55 AM Lee420 wrote:

Hey Iceman,

She is about 5 feet 4 inches tall & about 105 pounds. So you think a 5.5-6 will work?
She is a little girl but her hands are not that small. In fact, our fingers are pretty much the same length if we hold our hands up against each other & I am 5'10' & 150 pounds.----------------

Hi, I'm 5' 4" and 110 and my ring size is 4.5 ONLY because i have a large knuckle. . .my 4.5 is actually loose and spins around once on. You cannot gage size of finger based on averages OR size of person.

You can get a ring size tester on Blue Nile's site and I'd recommend getting one of these and trying to put this on your girlfriend while she's sleeping. Make her a couple drinks so she sleeps more soundly
2.gif

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I had kinda been joking about getting married, etc. and bringing it up in casual conversation. Finally, one day, I was like, "You know, I wouldn't be able to ever propose to you anyway, because I do not even know what size ring you wear."

The next day she says, "I went to the mall today and I wear a size 6." How's that for an answer?

For the record, she's about 5'6" and 125.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
LOL--see, Zeppelin, we girls are MASTERS of problem-solving!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results