shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas/suggestions need for EC sapphire RHR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ve been doing some searches online and can''t seem to find quite what I want. I''d really like to get a RHR for myself when I graduate with my masters in 9 mos. but I''m thinking I may need to go custom to get what I want.
31.gif

I''m thinking of an approximately 1 carat blue (or maybe white?) emerald cut sapphire in a setting much like mimzy''s and tberube''s e-rings--halo with pave or bead-set, 1/2 the shank with pave or bead-set diamond melee.

I''ve seen one sort of like what I want at Macy''s for like $250 but obviously I''d rather pay significantly more for something I can wear every day. I''m not really sure what my budget would be, but I''d like to get an idea of what my goal for saving up would be.
20.gif

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, and I will share photos if/when I get the ring!
9.gif
2.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Oh, this sounds like a fun project. What is your est. budget? If you don''t mind sharing that is fine.

I saw tons of EC sapphires when I was looking for mine. There seemed to be a lot at the high end B&M. I think your best bet would be to find a vendor you trust and have that person help you find the stone in the cut and color you want. Lots of people have had luck doing it that way, it just might take a little bit of time. But well worth the wait.

As for the setting, I think there are tons of options. Just depends on the look you want (antique vs modern) and your price range. I am not sure where the posters you mentioned got their rings, but I am sure someone does.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Good idea, Firecracker! I did see one I liked at a local B&M store, but that was a few years ago, when I was pre-shopping for my potential e-ring.
2.gif
I think I will check on it and see if they still carry it there, but I feel like I''m getting ripped off buying at maul stores, knowing how high they mark up everything. *sigh*

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Just for reference, this is kind of what I''m thinking of (photo not mine) but with a sapphire center. If anyone sees something like this, let me know.

Thanks!

ringideabutwithsapphire.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I know what you are talking about. I bought my sapphire at a B&M after doing lots of looking. I am happy with my stone, but they killed me with the setting. I have started buying colored stones online, and I now feel like I know what to look for even though it is so hard to judge sapphires on photos. I would look everywhere, including the B&M. Do a little shopping to see what color and quality you can get. I am not against heat treatment, but some other treatments worry me. Wherever you shop, they should know about the different sapphire treaments, and be able to tell you what kind of sapphires they carrey. There are a ton of great vendors on here. I think Wink and Pearlmans'' are places I would start with being that there has been some recent luck on here. Plus, they both have settings. You could potentally get it all done in one place. Just make sure you get a look at the sapphire loose even if it means doing the back and forth mail thing.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Is it a sapphire in particular you want, or can it be another blue gem?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your help, Firecracker!
36.gif
I will definitely do my research before I buy. I did a lot of research for my e-ring, but I am also concerned about the heat-treated stones. Some sites have a disclaimer saying, basically, they aren''t responsible if your sapphire goes all wonky due to heat-treating. Um, thanks!?
27.gif
Thanks for the tips of Wink or Pearlmans. I''ve been looking at Pearlmans settings for a while now, and they are awesome.

EBree, I think I do want a sapphire. From the little bit of knowledge I have of sapphires, I think I would appreciate their hardness, and know they are available in lots of different colors, though I am thinking of the dark blue color that is so rich and lovely. Other ideas are welcome, though! I also love rubies.
2.gif
But I don''t really wear red very often, and I kind of like to ''match'' my jewelry to what I''m wearing.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
No problem. If you do look at any stones in person, feel free to post pics up here for opinions
31.gif
. You can look at the top of this fourm, there is a post that lists a ton of good sites that sell colored stones. A lot of them have educational material on sapphires and different types of treatments. Keep us up to date!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results