carat
color
clarity

Ideas on setting for tourmaline

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
I have a lovely tourmaline I bought without thinking of a setting in mind and now it's been sitting in my jewel box for too long. Could you recommend a simple setting for it as well as a vendor accessible for singapore? I'd love some ideas! I am very new to this

It's a big stone already (4.77 carats) so i can't have a very chunky setting for it. I think trillions are particularly hard to set!

Let me know what you think? I currently just have a simple halo in mind.

IMG_2405.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some designs that might work for you. The first two are not trillions but this design could work well for trillions.
The first two are made by David Klass. The last design is by Australian based designer Alistair Kelsey. Not sure abput the other rings.
IMG_3922.JPG IMG_3923.JPG IMG_3924.JPG IMG_3925.JPG IMG_3926.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Really like the true elegance and simplicity of that Alistair Kelsey ring! It's not often that a setting has the purity of line that is the essential form.

It's a lovely tourmaline! I can imagine it with simple setting since it's already large, the color is outgoing, and therefore really doesn't need extra or superfluous embellishment . But I'm sure it will be lovely in any settling!

Last edited:

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you both ! Totally agree the Alistair Kelsey setting is very nice and simple

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you tried the 2 benches at Far East Plaza? Same level as Nanyang Gem Lab, at the corner nearest to them. You can show them the photos and get a quote. I had my red spinel pendant done there.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually I'm originally from India and have always gotten my jewellery set there. I moved to SG recently and would love to know more about the jewellers you are referring to.. could you share the names? I'd love to try them out, have been looking for a local jeweller but wasn't sure places are cool with setting stones they haven't sourced.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And if you don't remember the names that's fine, but do share a pic of your red spinel pendant :)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes I don't remember the names but there are 2 of them. Small shops That just set jewellery, not retail shops, round the corner from the lab. Just ask the lab folks. I found them when I sent my stones in for testing and they referred the guy before me to the 2 benches to remove his diamond from the setting for testing if he wanted to.

http://www.ngi.com.sg

Don't have the spinel pendant photo in this new phone but it's in my thread on Burma gemstones :) very simple design.

I've had friends bringing in their stones to the shops here to set so they are usually perfectly fine with setting those not sold by them, except the chain stores I think.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a protective setting that doesn't expose the sides like Chrono's chrysoberyl ring above. As beautiful as that setting and similar settings are, tourmaline is prone to chipping,

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze, thanks so much for your reco. I checked out your thread (incredible stuff) and also came across your HK vendor. Could you share what they usually charge for the simple halo settings you have bought from them?

I'm thinking TL is right. I shouldn't expose the sides even though I love the designs. So maybe a simple sleek halo will be more protective as long as the stone is set well. I'm wondering if the HK Vendor you have shared be open to making a setting for me like this...

IMG_3450.PNG

Mochiko- those are super useful links! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
About US400ish to 800ish depending on ring size, any upgrade to diamonds in colour or size and the ring design. It's gone higher recently owing to the gold price. They work with a partner shop in Singapore. You can contact Hugo Rich online to ask for a quote or more details but bear in mind there will be a wait time of a couple of months at the very least.

To make a new mould for a design is an additional 150 upwards

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah ok sounds good overall. I'll contact them. Thanks so much :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Lovely stone! Something like this is how I always wanted to set a trillion, if I fell in love with one.

DSC_1874.jpg

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow that's really very cool. But not suitable for my massive stone I feel. It's really big!

Burmesedaze - the same benches you mentioned at Far East plaza , how much do you recon they will charge for just safely setting a stone if I bring them both the gem and the setting? Rather what is the fair price to pay for just setting? Jewellers in India just do it for free so I really have no idea about this

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow that's really very cool. But not suitable for my massive stone I feel. It's really big!

Burmesedaze - the same benches you mentioned at Far East plaza , how much do you recon they will charge for just safely setting a stone if I bring them both the gem and the setting? Rather what is the fair price to pay for just setting? Jewellers in India just do it for free so I really have no idea about this

Sorry I really have no idea you'll have to pop down to ask. I don't think they will set for free unless you're a regular or have given them lots of orders previously, but tens of dollars (way under S$100) would be reasonable for a quick job with no modification required.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds good :) thanks so much

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I got carried away and bought another tourmaline on an impulse and need more setting ideas again! This is a bit small so need to enhance the size with a halo or side stones... it's just 6 mm

The vendor says it's a windex blue tourmaline but I'm not sure if that's what it is. Maybe lagoon???... I do like it though.

Let me know what you guys think! And do share your ideas on the trillion too

IMG_3503.PNG
IMG_3510.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results