shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas Needed on how to spend $6k!

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,
I have been on this site a thousand times and learned so much from all of you.
Using that knowledge, I bought a diamond and setting from white flash (see old thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-a-princess-cut-for-a-ring-a-good-buy.214966/)
I have always loved halo settings and thought I was done ...

Alas, when I received the ring, I saw two problems with it right away.
1. One of the halo setting diamond was missing when the ring was delivered to me.
Imagine my dismay when after discussing with my WF rep, I learned that melee stones like the ones that were in my halo have a tendency of
falling out. When I had received the ring, I did think that the diamonds in the setting were so small that it was hard to make out the individual
stones and they all sort of 'ran together' if that makes sense. So one or two missing down the line would not be noticeable (if not ideal) but
to get a ring with a missing diamond in the new setting was very disappointing.

2. The second issue I saw was that my stone size in the princess cut looked tiny, and in the setting I had chosen did not stand out at all.
I thought the halo was supposed to focus the attention on the diamond. Instead, because the diamond and the setting were almost at the same
level, it was hard to make out where the diamond ended and the halo started. For some reason, the diamond was looking even smaller...

So I returned the diamond and the ring and now am in the market for a new option.
I bumped up my budget to $6k and am now looking for a stone and a setting to start over from scratch.

Shape: I have realized that I am open to any option as long as it looks (for lack of a better word) a good (big) size on my hand.
I am a ring size 7 and have small hands but want a rock with a presence!

Setting: I thought I loved halos but the tiny melee diamonds and the issues with fallout have put me off that setting. I want a setting that
enhances the diamond not overwhelms it. Usually a plain solitair six-prong would suffice but I wanted something more since I already have a similar
setting for my actual engagement ring.

Size: From what I can see, I may be able to go up to a 0.90 - 0.95 in round and maybe more in other shapes...

Color: Fine with an I or maybe even a J

Clarity: VS1 or 2 should be fine, I think...

Cut: Excellent or Ideal

I know this is like finding a needle in a haystack but I thought with Valentine's coming up, there may be specials going on that I could take
advantage of.

The forum has so many knowledgeable resources that before I took the plunge, I wanted to see what ideas people may have so that I dont buy something
I dont like again...

All ideas welcome (and desperately needed).

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
If you are open to shapes other than rounds, have you considered oval, marquise, or pears? Most people agree that these shapes generally appear larger for their carat weight, so if size is a factor, it might be something to think about. I speak from experience - I feel I will always be on a budget, and I currently have an oval (though it's a colored stone, not a diamond) and am in the midst of creating a marquise ring...I definitely feel like it's been a great way to get a bit more presence on a budget (though my dream is to someday own a nice, big OEC!).

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
I am upgrading my engagement ring since we had our fifteenth anniversary last year...so it would be a left hand engagement ring. (Great idea about a right hand ring though - maybe next year?).

I like the marquise and ovals too! The only concern I had was that I read rounds perform the best in term of light reflection and other stones follow so I was not sure if that would affect how much my stone would shine...

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I second Farralyn's idea about a 3-stone (or 5, but I prefer 3 -- although what looks best to you counts most!) I also liked Girlyglam's idea about looking at different shapes. Pears are really pretty and have great presence.

I'm sorry you are not thinking halos are a good idea. I know there have been some cases of lost melee, but not everyone has issues. In any case, you have to go with what you are most comfortable with. If you decide to reconsider halos, look for one that is undersets the center stone a bit. I think those really showcase the stone, yet offer some depth and extra sparkle.

Inspiration pics...

screen_shot_2016-01-24_at_4.png

screen_shot_2016-01-25_at_0.png

screen_shot_2016-01-28_at_4.png

screen_shot_2016-01-28_at_0.png

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
oh, congrats! We made our 15th anniversary last august and my dh upgraded my ring as well. lol!

Plenty of super sparkly marquise and ovals out there! Mine is terribly distracting while driving. :lol: GREAT finger coverage too especially if you go with an elongated marquise :love:

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1454020967|3983209 said:
oh, congrats! We made our 15th anniversary last august and my dh upgraded my ring as well. lol!

Plenty of super sparkly marquise and ovals out there! Mine is terribly distracting while driving. :lol: GREAT finger coverage too especially if you go with an elongated marquise :love:

I like Marquis and Ovals too... I am going to start searching for an oval. Does it offer the same brilliance as a round? That is the only thing I was concerned about...

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
SparklySoprano|1454019641|3983191 said:
I second Farralyn's idea about a 3-stone (or 5, but I prefer 3 -- although what looks best to you counts most!) I also liked Girlyglam's idea about looking at different shapes. Pears are really pretty and have great presence.

I'm sorry you are not thinking halos are a good idea. I know there have been some cases of lost melee, but not everyone has issues. In any case, you have to go with what you are most comfortable with. If you decide to reconsider halos, look for one that is undersets the center stone a bit. I think those really showcase the stone, yet offer some depth and extra sparkle.

Inspiration pics...

I love the last one! Never thought of a peekaboo halo - is that what they are called?
I am going to try and find a setting... seems like everyone has amazingly good ideas.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! I'm horrible with not knowing exactly what the technical terms are called, so I'm not sure (and kind of doubt) that it's actually called "peekaboo." But, that word makes sense to me. :wink2:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/1-01ct-round-brilliant-diamond-solitaire-gia-f-vs2#.VqrE469OKK0

This is a good site that I never went fully through....this seems to be a good buy? They have some other three stone halo rings in my budget but the center stones are 0.7 or less.

Or this stone: http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/0.90-carat-i-vvs2-hearts-and-arrows-round-cut-diamond-gid-15282.html
In this setting: http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/doris-bpid-1251-45.html

Or this diamond (great size) in the setting above or similar?
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.988-j-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104084407035

As u can see I am all over the place!

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
I edited my comment above three times as I found more stuff I liked! I think the last diamond offers a lot in terms of bang for buck and I know the forum regulars recommend the Brian Gavin blue line. What setting would this look best in though ...?

I see Brian Gavin is giving a 5% discount for Valentine's Day if bought with an earring or pendant setting... Maybe they could extend the same to a ring too and I could get something from there settings...

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
sanaenver|1454016413|3983159 said:
Alas, when I received the ring, I saw two problems with it right away.
1. One of the halo setting diamond was missing when the ring was delivered to me.
Imagine my dismay when after discussing with my WF rep, I learned that melee stones like the ones that were in my halo have a tendency of
falling out.

Setting: I thought I loved halos but the tiny melee diamonds and the issues with fallout have put me off that setting.

...ummm... :???: ...not to dispute what someone else in the trade has told you...but...well...I'm not sure it's accurate to say that they 'have a tendency of falling out'...or have anymore 'issues with fallout' than any other settings if the piece is done well...
Yes they are a more fragile setting, but if made well and worn properly, you shouldn't have any more problems then you would with any other jewellery...IMO :|

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hmmm...does it have to be a ring? Just going by the title of the thread, if I had $6,000 to spend on jewelry, I'd be looking into a daily-wear, bezel set bracelet, or a really nice signature piece necklace. I had a gorgeous locket with over a carat of diamonds on it. I sooooooo miss that piece!

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
Winks_Elf|1454035413|3983353 said:
Hmmm...does it have to be a ring? Just going by the title of the thread, if I had $6,000 to spend on jewelry, I'd be looking into a daily-wear, bezel set bracelet, or a really nice signature piece necklace. I had a gorgeous locket with over a carat of diamonds on it. I sooooooo miss that piece!

It's a 15th anniversary ring so an upgrade to my engagement one so yes, a ring for this time!!!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
As u can see I am all over the place![/quote said:
I completely feel your pain about feeling "all over the place." How many rings have you actually tried on? It took me a year for my reset decision to be final. I tried on many during that time. I ended up with kind of a mix of things I liked, yet something very unique to what I had seen all at the same time. There is no magic formula, but I really encourage you to explore as much as you can locally to have a better idea of what you want.

Or.... upgrade for the biggest stone possible (as you alluded to by looking at solitaires) and put in a very simple (non-designer) setting. Then, come 20th or 25th anniversary, get it reset in its forever home. :))

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
That's a great idea!!! I haven't tried any rings on except three or four halos when I bought the princess cut.
I should start thinking of that then...

Any particular stones you guys would recommend.
I found some on Brian Gavin and diamond cutters.
There was one that was insanely cheap...

http://www.diamondcutters.com/detail.php?did=2961188439
I can request more info for it if it seems like a good option.
Otherwise brilliantly engaged had a few that I liked too.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sanaenver said:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/1-01ct-round-brilliant-diamond-solitaire-gia-f-vs2#.VqrE469OKK0

This is a good site that I never went fully through....this seems to be a good buy? They have some other three stone halo rings in my budget but the center stones are 0.7 or less.

Or this stone: http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/0.90-carat-i-vvs2-hearts-and-arrows-round-cut-diamond-gid-15282.html
In this setting: http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/doris-bpid-1251-45.html

Or this diamond (great size) in the setting above or similar?
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.988-j-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104084407035

As u can see I am all over the place!

LOVE that BE setting, it's lovely! and the first one that Sparkly Soprano posted, love that it's halo-ish but underneath the stone so really showcases it.

Definitely don't jump into anything. Can you go try on some different styles and cuts?

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
I live near Dallas so I can... Just didn't know of any good bm stores nearby.
But I am liking the idea of getting a simple setting and spending all on a diamond.
That way I can try on some settings and choose one that I really like later on...

Any diamond recommendations?

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The last graduated 5 stone is my favorite by far! What is yours ?

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
Ok, i am putting the stone on hold...the setting is 2100 so i am not going to be able to get it set but am just thinking of going for a simple setting and buying something later.
Do you think this would be a good investment for a stone? I am really liking the size and cut.
I havent been able to see the stone in person but I have read good reviews about Mark and brilliantly engaged here so am hoping that this is the one.

Excited and anxious!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! My stone is almost the same size at 1.03 (6.5mm), which I think is a really great size. ;-) Where I am concerned is the pavilion angle being greater than 41 and the crown angle kind of low at 31.9. I was particular though when I searched, and these concerns are based on my notes (which I acquired from the expert posts and resources on PS) from over a year ago.

That being said, it's an AGS 0 ideal, so I guess it should be a stunner! I'm curious as to what other PS'ers have to say.

I'm glad you're going to wait on the setting and spend more on the stone now.

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
It has a 2.3 on the HCA and I know experts try to dissuade buying anything over a 2.
However, looking at light performance map attached in the link under the AGS section, I think it looks like a pretty good stone. diamond_69.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Can you return it if you are not satisfied? That would be my biggest concern with any purchase especially of this type.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Since you started with a princess cut you must like square...what about a cushion brilliant??...they are a RARE find but lovely:

This one faces up 7mmx 7mm and will give you great finger coverage:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.57-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-697990

I like the faceting on this oval. They tend to hide inclusions well, but it is probably not eyeclean.
these 2 have minimal bow ties:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.18-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-sku-729415

and a "moval" that is lovely;
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-123461

Good luck with your search!

sanaenver

Rough_Rock
I did start with a princess but over the course of my search I realized I like rounds more. Otherwise I would be all over those stones.
Good idea about the returns. They do allow 30 day returns. I think I am going to pull the trigger on that stone today!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results