shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas needed for a low key proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crober51

Rough_Rock
I bought the ring yesterday, its stunning and exactly what I have caught her staring at a on a few seperate occaisions. Here''s the problem. She found out I was shopping for rings already so she knows the question is coming. I''m trying incredibly hard to keep a small modicum of surprise in the actual proposal and I feel good knowing that she doesn''t know what ring or when I''m going to ask. But I want to make this special. She is like many women nowadays in that she is a private person who would likely be embarrassed by a big production in front of a lot of people. She has even gone so far as to ask me not to ask her in a restaurant. So what do I do here? I wish I could say I was fantastic at thinking of the most romantic ideas, but most of the time I just come accross as cheesy. Her birthday is coming up in october, and because we live in New Englad it is going to be absolutely beautiful here around that time. I was thinking about taking her to a B and B in the area, one of them has a couples package that includes a night at the inn, a couples day at the spa, dinner for two at one of the nicest restaurants in the area (where we both happen to know the owners), and champagne. Is that campy?

Also just to give some other ideas, some of which may be less wonderful than others, she loves to Knit, I was thinking that maybe I''d learn to knit just well enough to knit "Will you marry me?" in a small blanket or something and tie the ring to the blanket so when she opened it up the ring would be there for her to see. Another idea is that she has always wanted to show me where she went to college, which is in a small mountain town about two hours north of where she lives. I was thinking we''d go up there and I''d pack a picnic and maybe take a walk out into the fall foliage of the mountains and propose there.

It''s amazing to me how we guys can be so clueless when it comes to doing these things, especially when we want nothing more than to make it perfect for the loves of our life. The worst part for me is I know that if I just said will you marry me and gave her the ring that she''d say yes and be thrilled. But I want her to have better than that, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance folks :)

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I think all of your ideas sound fantastic and very personal! the knitting idea is very cute, but probably the hardest to pull off. Could be the most memorable though, and she would always have the blanket as a keepsake
36.gif
. As far as wanting it to be a surprise, the day before or after her birthday will be more likely to surprise her. Most women expect to get proposals on "special days" like b-days and anniversaries and holidays.

Here is a site I just used to make a personalized champagne bottle for my 5th anni with my BF. You can upload your own photo, but you will need to photoshop the words on there before you upload, unless you use one of their templates. You could easily do a ''Will you marry me'' bottle. (2 bottles is the min order, and it was $44 total with shipping (9-10 busineess days, $47 for 5 business days))
http://www.signaturewines.com/index.php

tlroyce1

Rough_Rock
I also want to keep mine low key, so that there is more of an element of surprise to it.

My family has a small piece of land in WV that we went camping at alot when we were kids. After my grandfather passed away the family stopped going. Recently we''ve been going back with friends for weekend trips to get out of the city. It''s a very special place to me, and also beautiful and isolated. I plan to do it within the next few weeks when we drive out to see the leaves change.

I figure she won''t expect it as much since we will be camping and being "rugged"

It will be great weather hopefully, and we will be semi isolated so we can just enjoy each other''s company. Just an idea that I like.... maybe you could do something similar if you are an outdoors person.

sugarjo

Shiny_Rock
Your girlfriend sounds a lot like myself! I really like all of your ideas! However, as your girlfriend will testify to, knitting is not easy and it is very time consuming. It would take a beginner a long time to do a blanket. Especially if you are trying to write something out (I''ve been knitting for years, and would be able to spell anything in a blanket). If you choose to go this route, I suggest you take some classes to get some help. Or maybe consider something on a smaller scale, like a scarf, with "marry me"......Just an idea! Keep us updated and we want to see the ring you''ve picked!!!!
Good Luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results