shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for this light natural sapphire

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
This old ring has been sitting in my box for a while. It‘s a lovely stone - with inclusions, but nice colour. It deserves more attention. Any ideas what to do with it? Open to ring, pendant, whatever comes to mind! :)

Attachments

• C0D3D902-8FB3-4543-BB5D-5527655B7CB1.jpeg
    C0D3D902-8FB3-4543-BB5D-5527655B7CB1.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 9290FDB3-FC9E-4E8C-964A-9A062130E29F.jpeg
    9290FDB3-FC9E-4E8C-964A-9A062130E29F.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 17

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are you not satisfied with the current setting? It would be helpful to know so that we know what you like / don't like. Budget considerations too.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
It‘s hard to tell why I don‘t like it. I love antique pieces and I love modern pieces with clear, simple lines. This ring is neither. I was hoping someone could share pieces of their own as inspiration. Budget I‘d say between 500 and 1500.

Last edited:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
An update of what I did with the ring. The “wave-ring” was a YG ring and quite small. It was my mother’s ring and I remember her wearing it a lot. An 80ies style. So my jeweller came up with the idea of reusing it with the sapphire. They cut the wave band in the middle and put the bazeled stone there. Now I got something so special I’m actually wearing for little buck. 482EFC6B-FE6D-4AC4-9513-F04267CD659D.jpeg AD6418FA-D353-431D-837D-E14B61EA46E6.jpeg 9D6C7A41-782E-4B1E-9452-9094473A9801.jpeg

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that's a great transformation! Hope you enjoy it, I think the sapphire pops a lot more in that setting!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that's a great transformation! Hope you enjoy it, I think the sapphire pops a lot more in that setting!

Thank you :)! Yes, the stone looks much nicer now.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a transformation!! I have a light sapphire too and I'm deliberating on the setting - this is pushing me towards a bezel.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a transformation!! I have a light sapphire too and I'm deliberating on the setting - this is pushing me towards a bezel.

Thank you! The bezel makes the stone look bigger and gives it a „clear“ appearance (I don‘t know how to put it)...

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
It is really beautiful. The ring style is stunning too.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Wow! An amazing reset!! I love that it lets the stone shine while also having such a unique angle and framing. I'm sure getting to re-use the sentimental setting was a nice touch as well. Enjoy it!! So lovely!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! The bezel makes the stone look bigger and gives it a „clear“ appearance (I don‘t know how to put it)...

The jeweler really did a great job on it. I can see from your first pic that the stone has a window which would make it look not so great in most off-the-shelf settings, including your previous one, because the light goes right through the stone and stops at your finger, without reflecting back to the eye, making it look "dead" in the middle.

The jeweler has fixed this by setting it up with metal underneath that reflects into the stone and makes that whole center part light up. It also looks like (although I can't tell for sure from the metal pics) he has textured it in some way and/or set up the reflections so that it is reflecting the texture (or possibly reflecting multiple ways off the metal backing), making that center look complex and interesting and the window, which is a negative for most settings, turned into an asset :D Also the way he's done it, it is not metal right on the back of the stone which makes it much easier to clean, which I really appreciate! (I have a couple of rings with metal backing the stone like this which are right up against the stone, which solves the windowing problem but drives me nuts as they are very difficult to clean.)

I just really admire what your jeweler has done here -- I have a lot of windowed stones so I've thought about this kind of thing a lot :) (And yet most jewelers don't seem to take these kinds of considerations into account!)

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
The jeweler really did a great job on it. I can see from your first pic that the stone has a window which would make it look not so great in most off-the-shelf settings, including your previous one, because the light goes right through the stone and stops at your finger, without reflecting back to the eye, making it look "dead" in the middle.

The jeweler has fixed this by setting it up with metal underneath that reflects into the stone and makes that whole center part light up. It also looks like (although I can't tell for sure from the metal pics) he has textured it in some way and/or set up the reflections so that it is reflecting the texture (or possibly reflecting multiple ways off the metal backing), making that center look complex and interesting and the window, which is a negative for most settings, turned into an asset :D Also the way he's done it, it is not metal right on the back of the stone which makes it much easier to clean, which I really appreciate! (I have a couple of rings with metal backing the stone like this which are right up against the stone, which solves the windowing problem but drives me nuts as they are very difficult to clean.)

I just really admire what your jeweler has done here -- I have a lot of windowed stones so I've thought about this kind of thing a lot :) (And yet most jewelers don't seem to take these kinds of considerations into account!)

Thank you so much! Yes, I was quite impressed when I got it back. I add some more pictures, so you can see how it is done. They elongated the part where they cut the old ring and this is also the bit, that reflects. But there is quite a gap between metal and stone. Maybe that is the trick. A93ACAE3-E440-430C-B6F2-A7C705D58B67.jpeg 8E73ED1C-9C5F-411A-BFCC-A81980BF9F4D.jpeg 79B10189-C534-423A-B788-33E33BEABC7E.jpeg 3D22786A-170F-4574-91A0-AFF3015C1852.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a smart design. It's like adding a reflective plate to close the window but he incorporated it into the design aka fluid and flowing instead of a plain closed back.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That is d*mned clever! Look at that sapphire (boom, how you like me?)now :love:
The elegance factor is high, I love the raised bezel suspension gallery and the metal work has great flow. It's amazing.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
What a brilliant idea! Totally closed the window. Smart jeweller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results