shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for setting my Red Spinel pear stone?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don't have it in hand yet but I may as well get started looking for setting ideas. Anyone willing to suggest would be appreciated.

First the stone: 2.8ct, 8 x 10 x 5.5 Mahenge Red Spinel

Red Spinel 2.8.jpg

Red Spinel 2.jpg

Red Spinel 3.jpg

Red Spinel 4.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ideas for setting my Red Spinel pear stone

I saw this one on Leon's site. If I went with this style it would be a different color metal and white diamonds.

Gypsy Ring.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

Bright Ice - The ring is cool!

I feel like this puppy NEEDS to be seen. So a pendant is a good option too!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
It might darken up too much in bezel...

engagement-ring09.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of styles do you like? Clean lines, lots of bling, halos, vintage look, modern?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I love this one.

Something like this is what I yearn for, and what I *should* start saving for..... :sun:
My thinking is, a stone like that deserves the choicest of settings, so go all out !!!!!

_diamond-engagement-rings_halo-spinel-diamond-ring_halospineldiamondring.jpg

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock

bright ice|1305315394|2921002 said:
I saw this one on Leon's site. If I went with this style it would be a different color metal and white diamonds.

that ring is really gorgeous! I don't usually go for pink gold, but that I would love to have...wow, that's a stunner! :lickout:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's Chrono's amazing Mahenge spinel. It's beautiful.

I wouldn't think about a bezel set until you've got it and have assessed it. Bezelling can darken a stone so wait until it arrives to decide.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1305400801|2921846 said:

I wouldn't think about a bezel set until you've got it and have assessed it. Bezelling can darken a stone so wait until it arrives to decide.

That is Chronos's mahenge. It's 4.85 carats, and there's a thread floating around with a zillion pages on it.

I agree with LD that you should assess the stone in person before deciding if it should have a bezel, and what color metal to use. If the color is accurate to the photo, I think I would prefer high karat yellow gold. I have a Tanzanian spinel very similar to the color of yours in the photos (it's also a pear), and I am going to remove it from it's white gold setting and put it in high karat yellow gold. White metal does absolutely nothing for it. However, wait and see it in person first, and please post photos. :halo: Your photos will also help people make judge what setting to use.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1305401300|2921850 said:

That is Chronos's mahenge. It's 4.85 carats, and there's a thread floating around with a zillion pages on it.

I agree with LD that you should assess the stone in person before deciding if it should have a bezel, and what color metal to use. If the color is accurate to the photo, I think I would prefer high karat yellow gold. I have a Tanzanian spinel very similar to the color of yours in the photos (it's also a pear), and I am going to remove it from it's white gold setting and put it in high karat yellow gold. White metal does absolutely nothing for it. However, wait and see it in person first, and please post photos. :halo: Your photos will also help people make judge what setting to use.

Looking at the photos,I agree yellow gold would be good for this stone.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is Chrono's ring. I appreciate those who have commented. I will certainly wait till I see the stone before making any decision.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm fond of white metal settings with yellow gold claw prongs on red stones...

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

I think the stone, and the setting, are absolutely beautiful.
I hope Chrono doesn't mind that I posted her Mahenge as an example
of what I love, since I didn't ask her permission.
I just think it's wonderful.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
herekittykitty, wow, that is one stunning setting for a pear cut stone! and for those that must have diamonds they could be incorporated as melee. a very very versatile setting. personally, i like as is.

MoZo

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bright Ice: Please post many, many pics when you get it! Oh no! I just realized that we will have to wait to see pictures since its coming all the way from Australia... :errrr: :-o :blackeye:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shiney,
Don't worry - to have it posted as an example is the highest form of flattery. Thank you.

Bright Ice,
I also prefer to wait until you have the stone in hand and have viewed it under various lighting before making any recommendation. That will narrow choices down in terms of metal colour and prongs or bezel. In any case, it doesn't preclude you from deciding if you might like a solitaire style, 3 stone, halo or some other design.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1305649898|2923992 said:
Shiney,
Don't worry - to have it posted as an example is the highest form of flattery. Thank you.

Bright Ice,
I also prefer to wait until you have the stone in hand and have viewed it under various lighting before making any recommendation. That will narrow choices down in terms of metal colour and prongs or bezel. In any case, it doesn't preclude you from deciding if you might like a solitaire style, 3 stone, halo or some other design.

Thanks for chiming in Chrono. I actually have gotten a quote from Whiteflash in Platinum and 18kt yellow gold just incase I want to go that route. Just wanted an idea ;))

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really wanna see more PHOTOS of that baby.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results