shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for remaking emerald and diamond cocktail ring

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have a cocktail ring that has 1.5 ctw of diamonds and a cute little asscher emerald that's about 4.5 mm long and 4.1 across. Since it's a cocktail ring I rarely wear it and I even considered selling it. Now I am considering repurposing it because Daniel M recently repurposed another ring for me and the cost was really reasonable (I'm waiting to get it the mail and can't wait to share btw). I was thinking of doing a small bezel around the emerald; I don't currently care for the prongs because you cannot make it out that it's an asscher shape. And perhaps using the outer melee as a shared prong band? I think I might even have enough melee for a double band. I cannot really find anything online that looks like that, but what do you guys think? Or do you have other ideas?? Provided I like the quality of the work when I get my first repurposed ring in the mail, I think I'm going to do a big push to recycle some pieces this year.

Here's the cocktail ring. The emerald is little, but it's a really lovely color. IMG_0230.jpg IMG_0229.jpg IMG_0227.jpg IMG_0231.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also I say outer melee because the inner is a different size; in fact the outer looks like it may have been added later ( I got it as an estate piece). The small rings I've seen are like this even though in these the center is bigger than mine would be. Just trying to visualize how it would looks and/or if a double band would look weird.

small-asscher-cut-engagement-ring-pearl.jpg asscher-cut-basket-prong-diamond-small-engagement-ring-in-14K-white-gold-FDENS3104ASR-NL-WG.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely emerald! I adore the top view, but you are right about the Asscher shape not coming across well with prongs.

I personally love the double halo, and if it were me, I'd keep the diamonds and have Dan bezel the emerald and make the emerald recessed into the center, so it's more protected, rather than popping out as the top part of the ring in the current setting, where it's the least protected.

I don't know what you mean by a double band. A bezel center with diamonds pave ring is very doable if that's the look you want. I think your emerald will look very good in most types of settings with diamonds.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty from the top down but from the side it’s obviously too high to be practical. I like @voce idea. If it were mine I think I would have it all pave set into platinum so it sat flat like a circular panel ring. That way the top view would remain similar but it would be much more practical and the emerald less vulnerable. If you still feel this is too big then your idea would obviously make a much smaller and less blingy ring but perhaps it might lose some of the charm.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What about making a set of two bands that can stack?

My thought is you could keep the emerald with the smaller halo, but make the halo square, not round. Use a couple of the large melee for the sides, and the rest to make a stacking band.

I agree with changing the prongs. Very hard to tell it’s a asscher.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My thought is you could keep the emerald with the smaller halo, but make the halo square, not round. Use a couple of the large melee for the sides, and the rest to make a stacking band.

That could work well

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

I really like the idea of a square halo and I thought of that, but I didn’t know if the emerald was to small and the diamonds a bit too big to make it square?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely emerald! I adore the top view, but you are right about the Asscher shape not coming across well with prongs.

I personally love the double halo, and if it were me, I'd keep the diamonds and have Dan bezel the emerald and make the emerald recessed into the center, so it's more protected, rather than popping out as the top part of the ring in the current setting, where it's the least protected.

If I recessed it I wonder if the diamonds would still need to be pulled out and redone. If so and the square halo is doable I really like this idea...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s very pretty from the top down but from the side it’s obviously too high to be practical. I like @voce idea. If it were mine I think I would have it all pave set into platinum so it sat flat like a circular panel ring. That way the top view would remain similar but it would be much more practical and the emerald less vulnerable. If you still feel this is too big then your idea would obviously make a much smaller and less blingy ring but perhaps it might lose some of the charm.

Yes it would be less blingy for sure but was thinking I would get more wear that way. . If the square halo is doable that’s appealing too. Especially since I’ve been getting emerald fever!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck with the remodeling
Wear it, don't warehouse it as Calla Gold says in her jewlery blog
i actually feel quite inspired by the ring now - how that extra ring of melee - im thinking of a ring of my mum's from the 80s - nowhere near as nice as your find, but its a thought I'll tuck away

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes it would be less blingy for sure but was thinking I would get more wear that way. . If the square halo is doable that’s appealing too. Especially since I’ve been getting emerald fever!

I’m a total believer in having what you love and will wear, I just don’t see the point otherwise! Yes emerald interest seems to be hotting up!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the idea of a square halo and I thought of that, but I didn’t know if the emerald was to small and the diamonds a bit too big to make it square?
I think the proportions will look something like this, it looks good to me!
6989011D-D9A4-420E-80AB-F4CD50D0954D.jpeg
ED166B6F-E6E4-44ED-821D-789FF9E6FA9B.jpeg
And you could also space out the diamonds around the halo using metalwork. Imagine this but square. Instead of the tiny melee, just have metal and then diamonds at closer intervals. Alternating melee size here will be a cool look!

BBF4E19D-9BAC-4585-A566-04D4FDC6B4DB.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think the proportions will look something like this, it looks good to me!
6989011D-D9A4-420E-80AB-F4CD50D0954D.jpeg
ED166B6F-E6E4-44ED-821D-789FF9E6FA9B.jpeg
And you could also space out the diamonds around the halo using metalwork. Imagine this but square. Instead of the tiny melee, just have metal and then diamonds at closer intervals. Alternating melee size here will be a cool look!

BBF4E19D-9BAC-4585-A566-04D4FDC6B4DB.jpeg

I really like the second pic you posted! I love the first too but the stones are so much larger than mine that it’s hard to envision a teensy version haha.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the second pic you posted! I love the first too but the stones are so much larger than mine that it’s hard to envision a teensy version haha.

If you used the outer ring of melee, I think you could achieve the first look. I think it will look even better since I think the diamonds are too big in the example.

For the second example, you won’t be able to do it with the inner ring of melee as it needs more than 7. So you could mix the two sizes. It will look a bit like a “bubble” halo. Like this picture but without the bezel.

FC1AB49C-E409-4EE3-84E9-215AE2D7F301.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So update I usually don't post CADS and prefer to just show the finished product but I'm just really excited! I opted to do the smaller ring with the little emerald and then make the rest of the stones into a half-eternity; anyway Dan had the idea of double bezeling since the emerald is small. I'm sharing the CAD bc I like it so much and very excited to get it :) The bezel will have milgrain but that doesn't show in the cad as it's added after he said.

cad.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see the finished ring as it looks good in the CAD!

DK :))

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, looks like an awesome re-furbish project. The CADs look pretty awesome. Are there 19 diamonds total? Looks like five on each side of the emerald ring (10) and the remaining 9 in a half-eternity? Not a CAD artist, but wonder ... if you had four diamonds on each side of the emerald ring (8) and then 11 in a half-eternity, the ends of the diamonds on each ring might meet up more closely?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow, looks like an awesome re-furbish project. The CADs look pretty awesome. Are there 19 diamonds total? Looks like five on each side of the emerald ring (10) and the remaining 9 in a half-eternity? Not a CAD artist, but wonder ... if you had four diamonds on each side of the emerald ring (8) and then 11 in a half-eternity, the ends of the diamonds on each ring might meet up more closely?

Good point. There are 18 stones total - 6 on the inner circle and 12 on the outer. I told him I wanted it to cover the finger but didn't want stones under my fingers. But I will bring it up to him.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Good point. There are 18 stones total - 6 on the inner circle and 12 on the outer. I told him I wanted it to cover the finger but didn't want stones under my fingers. But I will bring it up to him.

So glad I posted cad and you said something @ringo865. I reached out to Dan and he said he was also thinking of the same thing so we are going to do four on each side and the others in the band.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful! It will be beautiful. :kiss2:

I have a photo of the band and he said that the photo of the emerald would be available “tonight or tomorrow“. THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME.

CB19A253-9818-431C-946E-96634F17E262.jpeg

Lol I'm always torn when vendors do this. On one hand, I totally appreciate getting an update as soon as possible. But on the other hand, it feels like a tease... I wanna see all my new shinies!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would not bezel an emerald due to their clarity enhancement and as a small gem, you would get less face up because the bezel needs to cover some of the crown.

David Klass does well executed bezels, but I’m afraid it’s not worth the risk. A bezeled emerald can sometimes fracture further, later on.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my all time favorite setting for a beautiful small green stone. It’s a round, but you get the idea. I would refrain from the bezel though. This stone is a demantoid, so it’s not clarity enhanced. I adore the rose gold as well. Not my ring, but I just adore this ring so much. It belongs to @OTL.

Attachments

• E68ED4FD-67B7-4F2B-8138-2D0BB1E504CA.jpeg
    E68ED4FD-67B7-4F2B-8138-2D0BB1E504CA.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 15

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This is my all time favorite setting for a beautiful small green stone. It’s a round, but you get the idea. I would refrain from the bezel though. This stone is a demantoid, so it’s not clarity enhanced. I adore the rose gold as well. Not my ring, but I just adore this ring so much. It belongs to @OTL.

Oh gosh well it’s too late because it’s already done or should be done by today. . So I just have to hope that it holds up over time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh well it’s too late because it’s already done or should be done by today. . So I just have to hope that it holds up over time.

I’m sorry, I didn’t know.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a stunning ring!! Can’t wait to see your hand shot a!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results