shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas - advice please on remake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

I bought this ring a while back in August, and it's been sitting with my jeweler since then - waiting for me to make my mind up about a re-make on it. I'm struggling - so thought 'why not go to the guys and girls who know' - and get some help and ideas!

It's 18ct white gold - centre cab sapphire is 1.5ct (6mm) with 12 very clean stones around (3 pointers - total .36ct - G/H VS1)

It came from an 'estate and vintage' site in the US, and I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and I reckon I got it for a good price (it was around $700)

Anyway...moving on! I didn't see when looked at the pictures on buying it, but did when it arrived, that little parts of the metal work are missing. Also, the prongs coming up from the shank to under the head are a little rough, and slightly too big I think for the ring, making it sit a little too high...

Small things, but I can notice them, and just felt it could be improved somewhat...

My jeweler has looked at it very carefully, and suggested just refining the while ring - and suggests a new head to hold the stones in a more traditional cluster, with scalloped edging, and the diamonds flush set around the cab. He thinks millgraining around the cab bezel would look good, and he's going to make the underbasket much sleeker, with the cab sitting lower into it, but also make sure I can sit a plain band next to it.

It's to be a right hand ring, but want to wear a band with it (shank is only just over 2mm width) and he'll make a plain band in the same profile, with some millgrain on the top two edges of the band.

He's quoted me well ($1200) - is it a good price you think? This is for a complete head remake, plus a band to sit next to it, but keeping the original shank with the engraving.

BUT...I have another ring that needs a new mount...a solitaire that I want to get remade in unplated white gold, which is likely to run into about $5-600. And...I am hoping to have a plain band to sit with that also.

Funds are tight right now, owing to potential house move, and my man is also in the middle of a job change, having been made redudnant...

I say tight...not quite accurate, we are older, so we have money, and the house is more or less paid now, but I don't want to spend money that really I could do with keeping for now. I just don't want to keep my jeweler hanging around.

My priority is getting my solitaire remounted (fed up with the rhodium wearing off) - so wonder if the sapphire work ought to take a back seat for now...or if there is a slightly less expensive way of remounting the cab?

I'd need a mount to take a 6mm cab (bezel) with either flush set surround or prongs, to take 3 pointer stones around in a cluster. Any ideas of who might have a mount sized like this, so I could just buy the head?

Or go with the plan, but get the solitaire done first, and take my time in getting the cab ring done?

Or leave the ring alone, and just be careful when wearing it (one diamond has a little metal missing - putting it at risk)

Ideas? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

35.gif

SapphireCabRing1.jpg

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
2nd picture

SapphireCabRing2.jpg

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
3rd

SapphireCabRing3.jpg

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
last one!

SapphireCabRing4.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a beautiful ring! I do like the idea of having the diamonds sitting flush with the sapphire, and I think that the milgrain would look pretty and would keep up with the vintage feel of the ring, and it would match the subtle milgrain around the edges of the shan!. I would definitely leave the engraved shank as is because it is gorgeous!

As for the price, I have never had work like this done so I am not sure what it would run, but I don't think that the price sounds unreasonable, that includes the matching band, correct?

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your kind words DiamondDana

26.gif

The price of $1200 is for the cluster remake and a matching band in the same profile as the engraved shank, but no engraving - just millgrain on the upper two edges. So - will be total of around £1900 (£950 - as I'm in the UK!)

He's going to certify, appraise and hallmark for me at a value of around $2500/2700 - so I reckon it's a good price to have the work done.

Does anyone have a central sapphire cluster with about 12 diamonds set flush in a scalloped design...to get a feel of how it might look?

In-between that I have a .65 diamond solitaire to have reset, and there are so so many beautiful mounts, it's impossible to choose! Right now, it's a plain band with prongs sweeping up from the band metal and slightly twisting (6 prongs)

It does kind of overwhelm the stone though, but do prefer the 6 prongs - so really am looking at retaining that look.

I fell in love with a mount on Knox site...it's an 8 prong mount, which I reckon would be too much, and I believe it's made for minimum 1ct stone only...but am keeping it in my head!

I may just get my mount replicated, but in non-plated white gold, and a tiny tweak on the setting, to make the band straighter (it is very slight by-pass now) and have the six prong as dainty as possible, but still pulling up from the band. I do like the look of my ring, the way the prongs flow from the band, in one piece kind of...

I can't post pictures of that ring sadly...I need a camera!

Thanks thus far everyone.

36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results