shape
carat
color
clarity

IdealScope Lighting Idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peterchristopher

Rough_Rock
This is primarily directed toward CutNut although anyone else who can shed some light on this is welcome to post a reply.

Is a photographer's light box a good light source to use with the IdealScope? It seems like a perfect light source, although I don't know how you'd get the stone to stand upright. Any thoughts or ideas?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I think Garry and Christian (aka CP) already found a symple way to take idealscope pictures. Let's wait till they wake up :snore:

:))

peterchristopher

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid, I'll wait for them to wake up. BTW I was actually thinking the light box would be good for plain old viewing, not necessarily for taking pictures, although that would be fun to try. The reason I ask is that I already have a light box for viewing my slides and am going to order an ideal scope ASAP, and was wondering if the two would work together.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Light box sounds good - but may be too bright.

The sheet of A4 works well.

Leonid is correct - we have a trade secret lighting method being molded and made as we speak that will be able to be added to your scope, as well as a high quality lens and wooden box with instructions.
Christian has been very busy :)

CP

Rough_Rock
Here is a pic of the best lighting set up we have found so far.
You need a lamp (flouro tube is best) with a piece of plain white paper taped to it. The paper acts as a diffuser and makes assessment easier.

You can apply the same technique to a window pane.

see this page for a full run down on using the Ideal-Scope http://www.ideal-scope.com/howto.asp

As Garry said we will have a new attachment available soon that will act as a diffuser for all types of lighting conditions :))

Over and out
CP
www.ideal-scope.com

Instruction 1b 72 5cm.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Garry, you look very focused on this picture :)

CP

Rough_Rock
like a moth

CP
www.ideal-scope.com

dymonite

Rough_Rock
CP,

I am only a novice a using the ideal-scope. Unfortunately the best stone I have seen has been sealed (which is obviously not the best to view it). Most of my other experiences have been with mounted stones.
I have not yet seen too many real life examples with loose diamonds. All of these except the sealed stone ranged from medium to awful and making me doubt that I am using the scope properly.

Can you describe what kind of spurious results you can get if you are viewing the diamond in sub-optimal conditions? Such as - Too dark, too bright, not diffuse, other bright lights in the room, looking out a doorway/window into a busy mall, standing outside in the sun

Ohh, BTW I gather CZ stones could generate the same impressive light return as diamonds under the 'scope?

peterchristopher

Rough_Rock
Thank you both, Garry and CP. I'll compare the light box to your favored technique and report back to you.

dymonite

Rough_Rock
The only reason I mentioned the CZ thing was that I was embarrasingly evaluation a mounted stone at a store which was in fact a CZ - commenting on that it was reasonable cut. Is it usual practice for a store to declare that their display ring contains a CZ if I ask to examine the stone?

CP

Rough_Rock
I don't know if that is standard practice...?
Our parent business here in Aus is retail jewellery and we only have Ideal Cut diamonds. No CZ's in our rings! ;))
Getting back to your earlier questions about lighting, here are some thoughts...

You need to try and control the lighting in some way. This of course can be difficult in a jewellers shop or mall.
Here are a few tips
1. avoid strong lights (halogens) and if they are present do not face directly at them.
2. if you are in a brightly lit space try and find a neutral coloured area in the room/shop to use as a background. A dark coloured background is not helpful.
3. avoid strong directional light, orientate yourself so you are getting the most balanced light possible.
There is almost always somewhere in your immediate environment that will fit the bill.
If you are viewing in the wrong lighting you will see effects like intensly bright white facets (lighting too strong) and one half of the stone bright white and the other pink (overly directional lighting).
You could take a piece of paper with you into stores and some blu tack - is that what you call it? - sticky blue stuff:))
If they have desks with lamps you could attach the paper to the lamp to act as a diffuser.

We will have a diffuser attachment available in about 1-2 months time.

I hope this is helpful,
Good luck in your diamond search :))

CP
www.ideal-scope.com

dymonite

Rough_Rock
Thank you CP, that was helpful.

CP

Rough_Rock
No worries :))
We'll have a calibration CZ for sale soon which will show what a near excellent stone looks like through the ideal-scope. You can practice with it at home then take it with you when you go shopping to use as a reference point. Should be quite handy.
These should be available in a few weeks.

Regards
CP
www.ideal-scope.com

dymonite

Rough_Rock
Very clever

CP

Rough_Rock
that's what Garry (cut nut) pays me for

CP
www.ideal-scope.com

peterchristopher

Rough_Rock
The lightbox I have works great with the IdealScope! I finally received my IdealScope earlier this week and I've had the diamond for about a week. The light is already diffused so there is no need for a separate diffusing device. Also, the color temperature is close to daylight and it is not too bright as Garry had feared. Mine is manufactured by Logan Electric and the viewing area is about 4"x6". I believe I paid about $30 for it at B&H (bhphotovideo.com).

Incidentally, the WhiteFlash H&A diamond I ended up going with looks to be near perfect! :)) :))

CP

Rough_Rock
Nice one PC
I'll take a look at the site and the light source you have mentioned.
Glad to hear you got a nice rock :))

CP
www.ideal-scope.com

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
one set of calibration sets ordered :)

S

peterchristopher

Rough_Rock
My mistake, it was $40. Here is a link: http://snurl.com/8ks. There are some cheaper models out there, but I like this one because it is THIN, portable and takes batteries as well as AC power.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually we have one of these and trialed it for a few weeks.

Christian found that the sheet of paper is better becaue it is less "directed" = more difused.

If the light comes aat the diamond from a plannar source the result is that some leakage does not show up quite as well.

We will soon be revealing our new secrect wepon which is being moulded in a plastics factory as we speak. No batteries or power supply's will be included (you will not need them).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results