shape
carat
color
clarity

idealscope image

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

g2man

Rough_Rock
I thought all idealscope images showed leakage around the girdle in the "V-shaped" things going around the edge. Is it possible to have and idealscope image w/out the "V-shaped" things? This diamond scores E/VG/VG/VG with a score 1.7 on the HCA.

g2man

Rough_Rock
I can't get the image to post but can you have a idealscope image that shows none of those "V shape" things around edge of the diamond? The image looks identical to the one at the top of this page and it has about as good a H&A pattern possible. Looking at the H&A pic I can't detect any imperfections in the pattern. But it doesn't score real well on the HCA...why?

Depth: 60.6
Table: 56
Crown angle: 34.9
Pavillion angle: 40.9

https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You might be looking at a stone with girdle facets which have been "tweaked" to avoid light leakage.

Whiteflash''s "new line" and Eightstar both exhibit that type of Idealscope pattern.

Some people like it better, some like the contrast shown by the "non tweaked" stones.

g2man

Rough_Rock
I couldn't get the pic to load but I got it to load as my avatar. That is the actualy idealscope image of the diamond.

If I'm happy with the color, clarity, and images of the diamond, should I let the HCA score bother me? I guess I'd like a HCA score of .5 instead of 1.7 but is it really that important?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes.
Do a search for cheated girdles

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2004 1
6.gif
6:35 AM
Author: g2man

If I'm happy with the color, clarity, and images of the diamond, should I let the HCA score bother me? I guess I'd like a HCA score of .5 instead of 1.7 but is it really that important?

g2man,

At this point it becomes a matter of taste. This, from Garry's HCA site: "A score below 2 (Excellent) means you have eliminated known poor performers (more than 95% of all diamonds). Your own personal preference may be for a diamond with an HCA score of 1.5 more rather than one with a lower score of say 0.5."

The newsletters he references above are a good read.

Best,

g2man

Rough_Rock
I've looked at a lot of diamonds on the net today and they all have steeper crown and pavillion angles than the ideal 34/crown and 40.5/pavillion angles, and are deeper than the 60% total depth, that you need to have the lowest HCA score. These mythical ideal HCA dimensions don't seem to exist in real life diamond inventories.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2004 2:13:35 PM
[...] the ideal 34/crown and 40.5/pavillion angles, and are deeper than the 60% total depth, that you need to have the lowest HCA score. These mythical ideal HCA dimensions don't seem to exist in real life diamond inventories.

This is often brought up... but those HCA scores are not meant to read "the lower the better". The measurements and model behind them are just precise enough to make that HCA=2 threashold meanigful. And even then... there is no telling that one sarin report that gives HCA=2.5 describes a reject.

You may wnat to look into the newsletters or Garry's posts for further detail.

It is always useful to ask what exactly those numbers mean and if any difference shows. Looking for a Harts and Arrows cut with ideal proportions and top light return does sound like the tightest selection to me. At this point, I would wonder if you (or anyone) can still tell the diamonds apart for cut alone. ;-)

When the fine print reads "you may prefer a diamond with HCA 0.5 or one with 1.5" - this is just saying that once the scores go over 2, the score alone is no longer very useful for a decision. One can still choose among the very best according to personal prefference and taste, even if picking at random will still yield an outstanding piece. Some difference of looks is still possible among the high scores since finer details (minor facets) are not taken into account by the HCA, yet may still make a visible difference, especially if the diamonds in question are rather large.

The HCA and the Ideal Scope are technical tools - as far as I understand. Definitely meant to read diamond optics, not shopper's good or bad taste. You definitely have some choice left after using these tools, IMO.
34.gif

Hope this helps.

There may be other ways to split hairs further, if you find this meaningful.

g2man

Rough_Rock
I found a diamond with very good HCA dimensions. Both are 1.032ct.

This is the first one again.

Depth: 60.6
Crown angle: 34.9
Pavillion angle: 40.9
HCA score: 1.7
HCA grade: E/VG/VG/VG

Brilliance Scope
White light: H/VH
Color light: VH+
Scintillation: H/VH

Measurements: 6.56 x 6.58 x 3.98

This diamond has a cleaner H&A pattern and the idealscope image is the one in my avatar.

This is the 2nd diamond I just found.

Depth: 60.3
Crown angle: 34.5
Pavillion angle: 40.6
HCA score: .6
HCA grade E/E/E/E

Brilliance Scope
White light: VH-
Color light: VH+
Scintillation: H+

Measurements: 6.56 x 6.60 x 3.97

This diamond had a good H&A pattern, not as clean as diamond #1 and the idealscope image has the white "v-shape" things around the edge but is otherwise excellent w/ no leakage in the center.

Would the excellent HCA score of diamond #2 make it a better buy? The difference in HCA score is quite substantial. Both diamonds are AGS triple ideal rated diamonds.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They sound like a perfect pair of earrings.
Do you have this trouble ordering food when your 2 favorite desserts are on the menu?

If you can see them side by side, then let your eyes be the judge.
Otherwise, toss a coin - they both seem amazing :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2004 3:29:19 PM

Would the excellent HCA score of diamond #2 make it a better buy?
The difference of HCA is not substantial (both over HCA=2, end of story), IMO. And no, #2 is not a better buy ''cause of the HCA.

Tossing a coin sounds great. Otherwise, well, one of these has been on your avatar for a while :) It''s just a matter of "which feals good" between these two. Their descriptions are as good as they get, to the best of my knowledge.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
g2man
i prefer the ones with the V shaped leakage,because it gives the stone more contrast. i like the HCA score 1.0-1.4 the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results