shape
carat
color
clarity

Idealscope, am I using it right

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

synapse

Rough_Rock
I just received my idealscope, the pro version, and I want to make sure that I'm using it correctly. I actually have to have the stone with tweezers in the scope, not in front of it, just to get a 6.8mm stone to focus. Is this right?

I'm also confused because a stone I'm looking at with very good eye performance, in store that is, is coming up with alot of white leakage around the crown and glassy white for the table. I know I should avoid this like the plague, but the stone peforms so well under and away from the lights.

Your thoughts.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you been to the 'how to use' part of the website?
Try to use a diffused light source as in the examples.

Then if you still see leakage then remeber that 90% of stones do - even many so called AGS 0 ideal cuts. Also remeber that if you are not experianced then all diamonds look great - and deep leaky diamonds look great until they are set and get a bit dirty - that is when the diamonds that look great thru the ideal-scope really shine out :)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The use of diffused light, like Garry said, is crucial. When I first used the I-S I thought it didn't work, but now, with the right back lighting, it works perfectly.

synapse

Rough_Rock
Gary,

I used the IS with a diamond tray that centers the diamond flat and it works awesome. With the diamond on the edge of the IS it actually focuses better and almost focuses itself. You should sell a tray to go with the IS, it is the tray for the Firescope that I was using.

BTW, thank you very much for the input regarding how the diamond's performance will really change once set and dirty. Yes it looked great in the counter and clean, but once smudgy (and I finger printed the diamond to check) will not perform. I know this because I bought a pair of studs that looked awesome at the store, even away from the lights, peddled as "ideal cut," but months later somewhat disappointed that they only really perform well when super clean and under special lights, like candle light or sunsets. This I feel is very important, thanks guys for helping me get through my journey.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Synapse,

There is a problem with the lighting model using a clear tray. This only allows light from directly beneath the stone to enter the pavilion. No light can enter from more than 45 degree angle of incident, so you are efectively blocking 70% of the potential to see light leakage by the use of such a tray. (This is a problem that 8* are aware of and chose to ignore.)

synapse

Rough_Rock
If I'm reading you correctly Gary, you are saying that 8*'s or other stones put in a firescope could be leaking more than the FS is showing?

but if a stone is showing leakage, wouldn't it then show more leakage if the "70%" were available?

But I do see what you mean, in using the IS with just tweezers as you instruct, I see a little bit of 8* leakage, tiny bits, but nowhere near that of other diamonds viewed similarly.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
>> Yes Synapse - the firescope only shows some of the leakage - mostly of the type that does not appear in 8* diamonds. The instruments lighting was changed in the new variation that is now used by their dealers.

>>Yes - If you could use the FS the same way as we advise you use the Idealscope then you will get the same result - that is why we want you to use tweezers and diffused light.

>> I agree that 8* are very nice diamonds, it sadens me that they feel the neccessity to adopt the approach they have when they have expert knowledge about this instrument and employ scientists for their 'research and development'. But I guess business is business!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results