shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal/softest metal for ring holder necklace?

ECMO

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend needs to wash her hands and wear sterile gloves a fair bit at work, and as such she can't actually wear her (Pt950/Ru) engagement ring for most of the day.

I'm looking to get a wishbone style ring holder necklace, and I've been looking online at which the metal of choice would be, but there is some conflicting information online.

Essentially I am looking for a white coloured metal that when rubbing against the platinum/ruthenium ring will be eaten away and not eat away the e-ring

I've already ordered one in Sterling silver but it didn't cost that much so if 14k-18k white gold is softer and more protective for the platinum ring then I will get one of those instead.

Pic related, it's the one I ordered
bgtzIqF.jpg

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably do 18kt gold.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You can also just put the ring on a necklace as a pendant without a holder. Just slip it on a chain. That works well.

mgmsrk

Rough_Rock
I would not trust my engagement ring on a delicate chain.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easier just to get a solid chain.
Best to choose a soldered link chain of decent gauge.
A parrot clasp is better than a ring bolt clasp.
Avoid box chains and the like, they can and do break.
Keep chain length short ie under 18 inches. She doesn’t want to be bending down and having it “swing out” and “crash” into something or someone.

ECMO

Rough_Rock
I would not trust my engagement ring on a delicate chain.

Ok I will look into getting a separate chain that is a bit more robust.

Easier just to get a solid chain.
Best to choose a soldered link chain of decent gauge.
A parrot clasp is better than a ring bolt clasp.
Avoid box chains and the like, they can and do break.
Keep chain length short ie under 18 inches. She doesn’t want to be bending down and having it “swing out” and “crash” into something or someone.

Are you saying a soldered link chain in addition to the holder or just the chain by itself?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results