shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-Scope VS FireScope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DNA_Cyan

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just a quick question.

How does the Ideal-Scope compare to a Firescope?

Reading from past threads have told me that diamonds viewed through an Ideal-Scope will be pink (and not red as shown on the Ideal-Scope website and on paper).

But basically, does the Ideal-Scope give a good representation of light return compared to the FireScope? Do they basically work on the same idea?

So if I have a diamond that looks extremely red with little or not white areas through a FireScope, does that mean that the same diamond will appear extremely pink if viewed through an Ideal-Scope??

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
>>
Same principle.

>>
Color differences are from photography, it would not matter if the color was blue, white and dark.

>>
Light return is similar if not exactly the same.
The differences are
1. The firescope shows more darkness because the % of lens to pink relationship is larger (30 degrees compared to 24 degrees.)
2. The firescope has a redesigned controlled illumination direction that is designed to make 8* show no leakage. I think this is rather poor form from a company that never needed to be so devious. Ideal-scopes show leakage in all diamonds, even 8*.

So if I have a diamond that looks extremely red with little or not white areas through a FireScope, does that mean that the same diamond will appear extremely pink if viewed through an Ideal-Scope?? No- you will see more white thru an IS.

DNA_Cyan

Rough_Rock
so if using an IS, and I see a diamond that is extremely pink, then the FS would show an even darker shade or red?

does it mean that IS will show light leakages even if FS does not?

DNA_Cyan

Rough_Rock
.....darker shade OF red I mean.....(not OR red)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There should be little or no difference in the red since both supply red / pink from same directions. Read, pink, blue, orange or green reflectors would all do the same thing.

Because of the way light is supplied to the FS leakage is reduced to about 1/2.
the IS will always show more partial and full leakage than the FS.
You can trick the FS. You caan not trick the IS.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Demonstrating Gary's point:

I'll have to ditto Gary's comments. While I could show various examples of diamonds tricked by the FireScope this one is of a 1ct G VS2. The image on the right was taken with the FireScope and makes all the pinks appear the same hue/saturation. The image on the left was just taken moments ago under our LightScope which plainly shows the the contrast between the darker reds vs the pale red areas particularly under the table. I chose to use red instead of pink as it brings out the contrast to a greater degree in my photography.

Hope that helps.
Rhino

lsvsfs1008gvs2.jpg

DNA_Cyan

Rough_Rock
Actually, how many types of scopes are there out there that shows light leakage??

Ideal-Scope, LightScope and FireScope?? These 3?

I forgot about the LightScope when I asked my first question.

How about comparing between LightScope and Ideal-Scope???

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well ... I am completely biased towards my LightScope so I may not be a fair person to ask but then again ... I'm the only one who has it. :tongue:

Gary has been using his IS for quite a while and he has trained himself to see with it what I see a little more easily with my LightScope. LightScope not only allows me to see these more critical contrasts in the reds but also allows me to photograph what I see with extreme accuracy.

Trouble with LightScope however is it is not practical for a laymen to purchase (if I decide to ever start selling them) as they cost a few hundred dollars to produce while you can get an IS for less than $50.

That is one reason why we feature pictures taken under this when people are purchasing or considering diamonds with us as it shows me gemological information such as variances in the minor facets, angle twists, and weakness or strength of light return within diamond. Best feature IMO is it shows me plainly not just quantity of light return but *quality* of light return and brilliancy which is key in the finest cut stones.

Ideal-Scope takes some practice to use and a diamond can take on different appearances depending upon which light source you are viewing a diamond in. In LightScope the lightsource is the same temp and consistent from diamond to diamond and after using it now for 2 years I can interpret a stones performance by just viewing a diamond under it.

If I find time tomorrow I'll try and show pics between IS and LS, and while decent pics can be taken under the IS, the LS is a bit more photo friendly. :)

Peace,
Rhino

DNA_Cyan

Rough_Rock
Great....I will be looking forward to some pics.

Thanx alot for the healthy explanation.:appl:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results