shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-scope: table leak artifact

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dymonite

Rough_Rock
Having just started using an ideal-scope, I have noticed that an apparent table light leak can occur by just altering the distance a fraction away from the lens. Similarly, you can seem to totally diminish this effect if the stone is held just within the scope?

I know the instructions say that you ideally (excuse the pun) should have the diamond flush with the plane of the scope opening. This is easy with a loose stone held with tweezers, it is much harder with a stone on one of those other dooverhickies where the stone is held end on or when it is mounted on the ring.

How susceptible are most diamonds to this effect? Since the presence or absence of a table leak is so critical to evaluation, I am a bit concerned that a small error on my part can totally change my assessment of a stone. How do I deal with this?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should ensure the stone crown is illuminated by light from the pink reflector. The focal plane is very close to the correct position for most people.

You will notice the amount of black increases as you take the stone closer to the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results