shape
carat
color
clarity

ideal scope question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jknapper

Rough_Rock
I just got my ideal scope - Wow its cool! I put a piece of paper over a light bulb, and looked at my diamond (already set in tension mounting). The symmetry is perfect. Its a HoF so that was a relief to see (Yes, I bought a HOF before finding the internet sites). Anyway I found a spot between 2 of the arrows where it looks like leakage. For discussion, lets say I see it on the left side of the diamond. So, I turn the diamond 180 degrees, look at it again, and expect it to see the "leakage" on the right side. Nope, its still on the left. I'm guessing I'm not seeing something correctly. Any thoughts?
To my eyes, the arrows and this "spot" seem similar in color, with the "spot" being a little more white.
This diamond scored a .9 on the HCA. 57% table and ~60% depth (don't have all specs in front of me)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is because there will be one other brightish lightsource either in the same direction (usual) as the white spot relative to the center of the stone, or sometimes on the opposite side of the stone.
Try shading out this spot with your hand and it will probably disapear in such a well cut stone :)

Let us know how you get on.

jknapper

Rough_Rock
I put my hand over it to difuse the light, and wow - it is picture perfect! That is the best $28 dollars spent.

jknapper

Rough_Rock
I took the ideal scope to show the jewelers that sold me my ring - they of course don't like it too much. One lady said "you don't need that, you can tell by the sparkle". I completely disagree. My next question is "what is more important, the symmetry or the abscence of light leakage"

By more important, I mean which makes a more valuable stone? I'm guessing fire of the diamond comes from less light leakage?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Abscence of leakage, and not too much black are most important. The very best stones will have both though - perfect proportions and symmetry. The big question is can everyone get a benefit from perfect symmetry - it adds a lot to the cost of the diamond.

Glad you are enjoying your scope :)
Retaailers are starting to wake up - but we have only just begun promoting to them - consumers know more about the IS than the trade!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results