shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-Scope first time user - I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I just used the ideal-scope (and beginner tool kit) tonight on 3 different loose diamonds I have looked at recently. After testing myself with the 6mm CZ, I headed off to the store. I looked at an AGS Ideal stone which rated 0.8 on the HCA as "Excellent TIC". I also looked at an AGS Ideal stone which rated 1.4 on the HCA, and also "Excellent TIC". Then I looked at a GIA (Excellent polish, Very Good symmetry) stone which was actually being touted as being within "ideal" proportions.

After viewing all three, I was so glad that I purchased the ideal-scope & kit. Close to $100 for the viewer, kit & light, but I saved myself from making a mistake worth thousands. This scope re-affirmed exactly what the HCA rated the stones at, showed the GIA stone as nowhere near the AGS (a concern of mine) and made the jeweler all the more willing to make me happy as a customer! The best stone was the AGS (HCA 0.8), which unfortunately was SI2 in clarity and with naked-eye visible inclusions, but it was excellent in cut. The jeweler said he will check tomorrow to see if they can get another stone in with the same, or nearly the same proportions & he will talk to the owner, if need be, to get one in that will make me happy.

I am an ideal-scope and HCA believer! The jeweler simply has to call me with or fax me the cert with the AGS proportions so I can put them in the HCA, then I will know if I should even check out the diamond.

Gosh, this is getting a bit easier now that I have my hands on some worthwhile tools!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds great! And NOTHING beats looking at those stones... Look HERE for the worts that can happen otherwise
2.gif

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I see exactly what you mean. Seems odd to me, though, from my newbie understanding of the TIC that those numbers in the post you referenced came up as being within the TIC range, even though the girdle was certainly not thin, as would be typical of the TIC.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/30/2004 6:58:35 AM 2Bmarried wrote:

Seems odd to me, though, from my newbie understanding of the TIC that those numbers in the post you referenced came up as being within the TIC range, even though the girdle was certainly not thin, as would be typical of the TIC.----------------

That is really a limitation of the system (explained by the makers to boot). The HCA simply does not take into account all the variables that determine light return: it is not designed to, so it is not appropriate for "blind trust" usage. Of course, such exceptions as the stone discussed there are rare, for now... The whole story is just some extra warning that the HCA is a great tool for screening numbers, but the passing stones still have to be seen (through the IdealScope, if you wish) to be believed. Hope my 0.2 did not come unwanted...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
No Way, Val!! You made a very good point there. The HCA is a great screening tool. Follow up on diamonds that look good when screened thru the HCA with further info.
2.gif

Great testimonial, 2B!!
16.gif
You are applying all the info you've learned with the tools you've aquired to make an informed buying decision!!
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results