shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-Scope and set stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

synapse

Rough_Rock
Everyone, especially Gary.

If a stone is not showing leakage via the ideal-scope once set, is there really leakage?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is the same stone with reasonable back lighting and absolutely no backlight (a rare situation).

What you would normally encounter would be some grey / pale pink areas. Hold a set piece up with a stronger light source behind the setting.

ISWB.jpg

synapse

Rough_Rock
Gary,

My question really is: does it look like it's not leaking because there isn't sufficient backlighting once a diamond is set to indicate leakage, or is it that because it is set, it actually has nowhere to leak to?

This analogy would be like that of mirrors, where a see through glass window will pass light, but one painted black on one side would reflect the light completely.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If there is no light behind the stone - then even complete leakage will apear black as in the example I posted.

a better analogy is to look at a window from outside a house with no lights on - then turn the lights on in a room. It allows you to see into the room, where as the window is black otherwise.

When you set a diamond you never completely close the back in as with your painting analogy Synapse.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/16/2002 5:47:38 AM

This is the same stone with reasonable back lighting and absolutely no backlight (a rare situation).

What you would normally encounter would be some grey / pale pink areas. Hold a set piece up with a stronger light source behind the setting.
----------------

Garry, from your second statement, it would seem that the idealscope results one would see in a set stone is the top image (which shows more grey & more pink). But, your first statement seems to contradict this. :confused:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry F&I, I thought it was clear.

This is the same stone
The first (top) image is what you will see if you have back lighting.
The second (bottom) image is the same stone with absolutely no backlight (a rare situation).

Is that clear?

To use the ideal-scope you must baclight the diamond. Nice diffused backlight is best (as described on the site), but if the diamond is in a setting then make the light stronger and even hold the diamond ring up close to a desk light etc.

synapse

Rough_Rock
Gary,

I've found some interesting ways to use the Ideal-scope very effectively. Some background: I recently purchased a 3 stone setting with an eight star center and regulars on the sides. The firescope images are emblazened on my memory and I can replicate those images with the Ideal-scope, even when the stones are already set.

With the set ring completely out of focus and slowly bringing it into focus, but still hazy, you can see where the light leakage exists for the non 8*'s, just like the firescope. The 8* is the same in all conditions, in focus, out of focus etc. I think what's especially required with set diamonds is that you have light enter the crown while the diamond is outside of the cup of the ideal-scope. Basically have the light source perpendicular with the crown. Using this methodology, I can replicate the images I viewed on the firescope before the diamonds were set.

Being out of focus shows me light leakage, where as in focus demonstrates the amount of black areas.

Your thoughts?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No Synapse, this is not good.
I think I need to explain on the phone - it is hard at the speed i type.
You are introducing reflected light from above the stone that will appear white, but is light return - not leakage.

You should not try to replicate the Firescope result for an unset diamond with the idealscope.

If you go back to the store and look at the mounted ring in the firescope with the ring held in tweezers then both instruments will give similar results.

You should try to understand the images I posted. When you do you will understand.

Happy to call you in your early morning (my evening)if you like.
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results