shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal scope and ASET influence on price/value

EL

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of a GIA certified triple excellent (cut, symmetry, polish) stone. I believe I am getting a good price on the stone, but have not seen the stone through an ASET or ideal scope. I plugged the measurements into the HCA calculator and it returned a 1.1.

Question: Would the information gained through the ASET or ideal scope significantly influence your decision to purchase the stone? Does that information affect the price and value of the stone significantly?

Thanks all!
-EL

FYI other specs: F, VS2, 1.38 ct, no fluorescence

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it would influence my decision. Because I have seen ASETS and idealscopes on here for excellent cuts that indicated leakage. If I were spending that much, I would want to know I was getting a stone that would have ideal light return. If you have a good return policy, I suppose you could either have the diamond sent to an independent appraiser or you could buy the scopes yourself if you feel confident in assessing the stone. I might be a bit less concerned if the stones were small and for earrings, perhaps (but in fact, my earrings are ideal cut, H&A stones, too!).

Vendors who specialize in the top cut quality stones do charge a little premium for all the extra screening they do. It is worth it to me not to have the headache of seeking the extra evaluation on my own.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does not affect value to the general market, because most vendors don't use those tools. It does affect value on PS, though, because vendors who use those tools offer other information as well and many consumers like to get all the information they can about a stone before buying.

For me, if I was buying in person, for some diamond purchases I would be OK with GIA Ex and a good HCA score and using my eyes to assess the stone. But I know diamonds pretty well 8) I would recognize signs of poor optics, and I know what I like. I also think that some of the nuances we obsess over here are not evident in real life.

You can buy your own IS for about $25 bucks, but I personally find it a little hard to use in person, and not much more informative than my own eyes. Another way to assess a stone is to compare it to a known winner, like an AGS0 with an HCA below 2. That can perhaps help calibrate your eyes.

All of that said, for a significant purchase I would just buy online from a PS vendor who offers those images as well as many other assurances of cut quality, and who also has great prices. No guessing in that method of purchase, and for such a large one, I don't like guessing.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would stick to an online vendor that sells AGA/GIA graded stones, provides ASET and IDEALSCOPE images, and is backed with a great return & trade-in policy.

kdn2684

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1308114498|2946354 said:
Yes, it would influence my decision. Because I have seen ASETS and idealscopes on here for excellent cuts that indicated leakage. If I were spending that much, I would want to know I was getting a stone that would have ideal light return. If you have a good return policy, I suppose you could either have the diamond sent to an independent appraiser or you could buy the scopes yourself if you feel confident in assessing the stone. I might be a bit less concerned if the stones were small and for earrings, perhaps (but in fact, my earrings are ideal cut, H&A stones, too!).

Vendors who specialize in the top cut quality stones do charge a little premium for all the extra screening they do. It is worth it to me not to have the headache of seeking the extra evaluation on my own.

Here's an example of a GIA triple Ex that doesn't have a good Idealscope/ASET image as it has leakage under the table.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-should-i-bite.144057/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-should-i-bite.144057/[/URL]

Although most of Whiteflashes Expert Selection are great stones and barely miss ACA, here's a Whiteflash Expert Selection that has great numbers but also has leakage under the table.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2632643.htm

The new AGS Platinum Document has a computer generated image that closely resembles an ASET image, so you can select stones that have the Platinum Document if you don't have access to ASET/Idealscope. However by doing this, you limit yourself because most round stones are GIA graded.

EL

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the opinions and advice PS people! PS has been my go-to, one-stop source for diamond info and its been great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results