shape
carat
color
clarity

ideal scope / 8*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
Why are 8* diamonds the only ones without the little white triangles in the periphery? All imagescope/lightscope/firescope images that I have seen have the little triangles. Does this mean that there is light leakage compared to an 8*?

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
The white triangles do indicate light leakage. The EightStars do not leak so much in the same area.
Do not pay too much attentinon to leakage only, the EighStars different look comes from precision and alignement of all the facets. Peripheral leakage is just one thing.

FireScope/IdealScope do not show the direction of light source, it plays a certain role for the importance of the red triangles.

Iiro

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do the ACA New Line stones and/or GOG's stones look like 8*'s in other ways? If so, which ways? If not, how are they different?

I apologize in advance if I'm starting a war...

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/19/2003 7:23:49 AM Cut Nut wrote:

There are other suppliers of stones with the same effect.
A cut Above from whiteflash call it the 'new line'.
GOG do it too.
----------------
So your saying that these stones from these above vendors performs like the 8*??? Do you have side by side pictures of such stones?

pardon my ignorance... just curious
6.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/20/2003 10:52:36 PM 3hearts wrote:

----------------
On 8/19/2003 7:23:49 AM Cut Nut wrote:

There are other suppliers of stones with the same effect.
A cut Above from whiteflash call it the 'new line'.
GOG do it too.
----------------
So your saying that these stones from these above vendors performs like the 8*??? Do you have side by side pictures of such stones?

pardon my ignorance... just curious
6.gif

----------------

Nobody is saying or claiming these stones perform like an eightstar, but they are cut in a very similiar fashion which deals with the upper girdle/lower girdle angle relationship where total leakage seems to be eliminated. It is stated on some informational sites that because of the way these stones are cut some of the "contrast brilliance" is lost because if you look at the eightstar and diamonds cut in a similiar fashion under the firescope, lightscope,idealscope there is a blending of reds versus in stones with strong dark reds viewed provide more of a contrast returned to the viewers eye.

In other branded and non-branded ideal cut stones there is leakage at the junction where the upper girdle facets and star facets meet, but it is argued that the leakage at these points provides the increased contrast to the viewer versus the Eightstar.

Another difference in the 8 star is the dispersion is broad coloration being returned to the eye, but to achieve this you trade off a slight bit of scintillation and brilliance.

The other H&A stones often have a similar amount of dispersion, but the color areas are smaller. Eightstars are cut with small star facets and larger upper girdles facets which contribute to the more flashes of color being returned to your eye.

A Cut above brand cuts their stones and GoodoldGold sources stones which display the same leakage and pattern as the 8 star viewed under the scope. 2 are branded and there are many vendors that can source stones similiarly patterned like 8 stars. Premium is what you should consider important and also take into account the true life visual comparisons versus all the marketing that goes on.

Both are beautiful just 2 different styles. I think the long argued notion is that just because 8 star is cut in a way to eliminate leakage in different areas does the leakage provide more of an optical pleasing result to the viewers eye vs. more of a contrast viewed under the scope from other super ideals cut differently...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well said josh.

Brian the ACA cutter prefers the original H&A's and if you look at the intensity or the first image - a tweaked girdle 8* or new line ACA type stone, top left, you might note that the stone next to it (a normal H&A's) has a more intense red. The white leakage on the outer edge I believe makes these stones look smaller - but it also increases the contrast.

All of which goes toshow that personal preference is quite valid.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well said josh.
Havea look at the images here http://www.eightstar.com/scope/

Brian the ACA cutter prefers the original H&A's and if you look at the intensity or the first image - a tweaked girdle 8* or new line ACA type stone, top left, you might note that the stone next to it (a normal H&A's) has a more intense red. The white leakage on the outer edge I believe makes these stones look smaller - but it also increases the contrast.

All of which goes toshow that personal preference is quite valid.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very Interesting Garry. I have attached a picture of my fiancees scope image on the right and an actual 8-star scope image on the left which I think illustrates visually what your talking about and the leakage around the perimeter versus the eightstar..I decided to do my own chart so there wouldn't be any copyright infringement...Lol

-Josh
1.gif
Excuse the spelling on the comparison chart...
sad.gif

compareresult.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results