shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal Price for this stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jerseycat10

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new to the diamond engagement ring buying process, and hopefully, this will be the last time that I will have to buy one :) Here is the ring I am interested in, and was given a price quote on:

1.12 carat
princess cut
i-j color
SI2 clarity
GIA certs

also included is a platinum band with a diamond baquette on each side.

I was given an quote of $5300 for the combination of stone and band. How much would an experienced buyer pay for a ring of this magnitude?

Thanks!

AJ

phi368

Rough_Rock
I've been in the e-ring process for several months now and am far from an expert but I can tell you this. You'll need a lot more information to accurately figure out if it's a good price. Have them run a Sarin. A sarin report gives you the all the angles of the diamond. My search has centered around rounds, so I don't know what are good proportions for a princess. Just look them up on pricescope.com. Hope this helps some.

jerseycat10

Rough_Rock
I have done quite a bit of research tonight on the subject. It is amazing how much of a science this is! However, most of the online documentation is for diamonds with a round cut. My girlfriend seems to enjoy the princess cut. Any good sites out there in terms of the princess cut?

AJ

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
It is worth maybe $4,000 as you described.

jerseycat10

Rough_Rock
really? band included? Let me pose you this question. If i had a budget of $5300 (which I do), and I was in the market for a princess cut diamond with a platinum band (the thinner the better to emphasize the diamond), and a premium was paid to size and clarity (although color should be ~ i or j), what could I get for my money?

phi368

Rough_Rock
You have to remember, the most important characteristic is cut. Not in the sense of what shape, but as to the proportions. If you have an overall budget of $5300, you need to first budget what you want to spend on the setting. (on another note, I would never buy a stone that is preset. It becomes very hard to judge the quality of the stone. And don't buy from the malls). So say you plan to spend $1000 on the setting. (leave the other $300 for extra things, i.e. setting, appraisal, etc. . Anyway, for $4000, you could get anywhere from .75 carat to 1.75 carat. It all depends on the cut and proportions of the stone. If you haven't already, go to pricescope.com. It lets you search numerous vendors databases at once. It will also let you search by just putting in your budget.

The next question is whether you might consider buying from an internet vendor. Personally, I was highly against it, when I started out. Now I wouldn't do it any other way. I am working with Diamond Brokers of Florida. They have their own store in Florida but also post their inventory online (not to mention they can call in about any stone from any other vendor's site). I have found them to be the cheapest and extremely helpful.

Hope this helps for now. Feel free to ask me any quesitons at [email protected]. However, as I said, I've put in a lot of time educating myself, but I have only been doing this the past couple of months, so I am far from being the expert that most of these people are on here.

Good luck!

phi368

Rough_Rock
Here's a link to a site the cut grades for a princess. http://pricescope.com/tutor_fnc1.asp.

In the abstract, it really might not be that helpful. I say your best bet is to keep reading this board (and www.diamondtalk.com). These boards have been my main source of education. Also, just go to local stores and look at their diamonds then ask them to tell you the proportions of each diamond so you can start getting an idea of what type of proportions you want. Then buy from someone online to save 20-40%. Just keep reading posts and you can get a good sense of the most highly regarded sites are.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Yes, band included.

I can tell you about round diamonds and the best for that budget. I don't know how to judge square ones. But you may want to get it from SuperbCert as they specialize in high-grade Princess and round.

In your price range you can get an H in the 1 carat range:

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1045/v.cgi?stock=782598&_s=1045&_p=wp&_c=&_fs=2&prestock=

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1045/v.cgi?stock=782599&_s=1045&_p=wp&_c=&_fs=2&prestock=

Or if you want an E/F color then you have to go down to a .85 or so to stay in that price range.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
also, does your girl like the exact princess cut, or is does she like a square-ish cut diamond? because there are several VERY nice cuts that are square, but not exactly princess. The regent cut is absolutely grand, and will probably blind you from the pictures that i have seen. while they are a little more pricey than the average princess cut, i would definately say they are worth looking into. i am not sure of who else carries them, but i do know that http://www.goodoldgold.com does. i have heard nothing but great things about the folks there. check the comparison on these two stones, and you will see what i am talking about.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent__79ct_g_vs1.htm (regent)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess__77ct_g_vs2.htm (princess)

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I only considered round because it is classic, and I am a classic sort of person when it comes to certain things.

jerseycat10

Rough_Rock
Very interesting thoughts. Thanks for the input. Last night, I ended up researching diamonds until about midnight. I learned a lot about the princess cut! I am not totally opposed to the round cut, my girlfriend simply expressed an interest in the princess, although I should verify that that in fact is the cut she wants. I sent an email to Diamond Brokers last night, after all the good things I heard about them on this board. I would like to get in the 1.25 ct range, but I don't want to sacrifice color or clarity. I guess I will keep researching. Thanks!

AJ

jerseycat10

Rough_Rock
Silvertrii (sp), I looked at the links you provided. The Regent cut is attractive, and as I can see compares favorably to the Princess cut in terms of reflection, at least for the example you provided. I have never heard of the Regent cut, so I am interested in the availability of it.

catatonic

Rough_Rock
Hey JerseyCat!

I sent you an email through this website, but I am not sure if you got it... If you didn't reveive it, please email me at [email protected] as I have some info about a diamond that might interest you!

Good Luck to you!

:wavey:

jerseycat10

Rough_Rock
Round versus Princess. Are their substantial differences between dimensions and brilliance in similarly sized ( i.e. 1 ct.) rings? Any side by side pictorial comparisons? Maybe round IS the way to go.

AJ

golfer

Shiny_Rock
If your gf wants (or has expressed interest in) princess, I'd stick with that. They're a lot cheaper than rounds.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Just get round. She seems to have had a Princess catch her eye, but did not seem attached to it. If she had a round and now wanted a Princess then fine, but if it is a toss up in her mind (on shape), get the round. More classic, easier to find a good cut, easier to appraise. But only if you know that she is not set on Princess.

catatonic

Rough_Rock
RSilvers, you are usually so good at remaining objective....unfortunately, in this case it seems that you may be missing the mark.

Some girls are less blatant about what they want in a diamond. Most of us girls know what we like, but many of us are unsure how to "hint" as to what we would ideally want, without seeming greedy or pushy.

Most of us don't know when our guy is actually considering buying a diamond for us...so it becomes a touchy thing....do we want to start outright discussing the type of diamond we would eventually like, and risk making our men feel like we are applying the "screws" to him?

For most girls this answer is no...so we find little ways of dropping "hints" or "comments" about other rings we've seen...in hopes that you men are paying attention!

I say, if she said she liked a princess cut, jerseycat may want to start his search in that area...

Not every girl likes round stones, you know! I'd like to think I'm a classy girl, but Mom's stone is certainly not the one for me...I am a radiant person. So, its very possible that AJ's beloved is a princess person!!

Good luck AJ!

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
It is very possible she had looked at magazines, talked to her friends, and decided on a non-round diamond and then dropped hints to guide him. I am more direct with my girlfriend, and I just asked her outright if she likes this or that, etc. I know a girl who really wants a Tiffany Lucidia, so you could easily be right. He will have to decide based on his relationship with her if she is set on a certain cut or not.

I guess I am just set on certain things and assume everyone agrees -- such as Ferarri being better than Porsche, Coke being better than Pepsi, anything being better than Ford, etc.

mon

Rough_Rock
I would definately look around first. Since I can remember, I always knew I would want a princess cut. When my boyfriend & I started looking, I noticed a difference in the sparkle of the two. I don't know much about price differences, etc, but I know that after trying on a few I changed my mind. If you don't want to give away the secret, I would suggest looking at diamonds at a jewelers on some platinum settings & go from there. Plus, if you get a beautiful diamond, she probably wouldn't think twice about the cut. (Unless she is one of the avid few on this site, & if that were the case I am sure she would let you know what she wanted!) Good luck!

Just a thought from my experience!

Mon :bigsmile:

PS: You guys are a lovely couple! :love:

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
as far as i know, it is rather new cut, and still tough to find. however the folks at good old gold would be much better at answering questions about it. email him on the website. Though he does sell the stones too, so he will probably be *very excited. hehe. good old gold does come with stellar recomendations from others that i have read.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results