shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal H vs Very Good E

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atldc

Rough_Rock
I am new to all of this diamond shopping so I am looking for some honest opinions. I am trying to decide between an Signature Ideal cut 1ct H color diamond or a Very Good cut 1 ct E color diamond. Both are are princess cut, at least very good to excellent in polish and symmetry and both are at least vs1. The big decision is between the Ideal H color or the Very Good E color. The diamond will be set in platinum. Any suggestions or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Dave

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen the diamonds? Can you tell that one is better cut? What about color?

If I were going totally from just what you told us, I''d go for the better cut.

Cut will always win over cut for me.
35.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Patty makes a good point...you have to see them...

My take is... is you have a stone that isn't "ideal" just b/c a number might be off, but it's still a VERY GOOD cut...I'd go for the E. Numbers are important to me. But not as important as my eyes...

But you'd totally have to see them and I'd go for the one that caught my eye more...Can the vendor send you pix or you see them in person?

Oh yeah, and the one that's bigger might win me over
9.gif

PS. Blue nile is way over-priced if you're looking at their signatures or any other stones for that matter

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are funny... I would have said at this point, it pretty much looks like a tossup (unless you''ve gotten to see the stones or at least their ISes and see a marked difference), so *I''d* buy the one that''s cheaper.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they are both the same size and one is ideal and the other is very good. I''d go for the E. Numbers are a guide yes, but the eye''s are my best tool. Get pics if you can, that''s assuming you haven''t seen them. Good luck!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
labels such as ''ideal'' or ''signature ideal'' don''t mean much by themselves. find out what the vendor claims to make ''ideal'' or ''signature ideal'' before making any decisions.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Can you post the specs on those stones? Vendors have VERY different ideas of what makes for an ideal stone. In fact, there are sites on which the ideal or signature cut princesses are not stones I would even consider (not up to my quality standards). So, I can''t say which stone I would choose--sorry!

atldc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyones input here. To answer some of the questions posted, I have not seen either of the diamonds and yes, I was looking at them on Bluenile. Their definition of of their Signature Ideal from their website is "Our ideal princess-cut diamond features a crown height greater than 8%. This almost doubles the industry standard for crown height, allowing the diamond to capture and return more light. " The links to the two diamonds are below. And of course I am open to any suggestions of other places to shop online for diamonds.

1.00 Carat Princess Cut Loose Diamond (Ideal, H / VVS2)

1.00 Carat Princess Cut Loose Diamond (Very Good, E / VS1)

Thanks again,

Dave

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Dave~
Between the two stones you posted, I like the H/VVS2 better. But, it''s hard to know anything without the pavilion and crown angles, and without an ideal scope image. If you want Blue Nile, I would also consider:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00936597&item=16_169&filter_id=0&sec=&query=21&page=1&sortby=size-d

Personally, I would never buy a diamond from Blue Nile, but that''s just me. I just think better deals on better diamonds can be found. In fact, sometimes the diamonds you find on Blue Nile are list stones and can actually be bought for less through companies like White Flash. Just something to keep in mind!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a couple of random thoughts...

If 8% high crown is 'twice the standard' I would like to know where is that 4% standard - never heard of it yet.

And why the same quality insures better brilliance, beats me. It is very easy to find exceptions to that rule.

Interestingly, when a performance-bases cut grading standard for princess cuts was issued by AGS recently, they took into account allot more detail about princess cuts to estimate brilliance.

So.... the 'very good' and 'ideal' cut grades may be a tad random, and perhaps not as strongly related to appearance or significant as you considered them.

Given this, I would not know if the trade-off between cut and color is even meaningful. You will never get to see the diamonds side by side and neither would we. I know what 'E' means, what 'ideal cut' means according to that definition is less clear. Maybe the trade off is totally worth it, maybe not.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Neither of those stones have the same potential if you go by the numbers, at least for me. The first is not bad, but I prefer VG or EX on symmetry and polish. That being said, there is a debate about how much the numbers can tell you without the crown and pavilion information (and even then you need a lot more). The stones I posted all fall under the top category in the AGA charts which at least helps you to weed out the worst stones. Have you checked out the tutorial on GOG?

What are the specs you're hoping for? It seems that you really want an E in color.

atldc

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. As far as the specs, I am obviously very new to all of this and the only thing I know about diamonds is what I have been able to find online. I guess the bottom line is I would like the best quality I can find for under $6000 and prefferably over a carat. Thanks again.

Dave

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looked everywhere for an AGS princes...

You are going to hate THIS... or maybe not. 'Thought I'd try. There may be more suitable options with comparable cut, just not where I happened to look.

pic%201.jpg

There has been at leats one AGS0 princess on the Show Me the Ring forum, and very enthusiastic feedback from buyers, sellers and appraisers about these diamonds. Compared to the good old flat princess look, I can't believe these are the same cut either. Compared to the BN one, there is some premium though (about $600).

Ironically, there's a H-AGS0 on the list too LINK. (Researcher listed it below while I was writing!)

I wonder what difference color makes between these two... with cut tops.

Just a thought... At least these come with a book of data each and not much left to the immagination about cut.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You''re definitely on the right track
1.gif

If you''re wanting an AGS stone, I like this one. But, the stones I posted above could be really amazing too, with great color and size. AGS stones are more expensive because you''re guaranteed quality, but the PS vendors like WF will help you determine if the GIA stones are well cut too.

I personally am a big fan of size after cut quality, as long as the color/clarity is I/SI1 or better. All of those stones will face up very white if they''re well cut. But, keep in mind that D-F colored stones will be an icy white while G-I may be a slightly warmer white. Oh, and you don''t have to worry about clarity--as long as the stone is 100% eye clean and SI1 or better you''re fine
1.gif

atldc

Rough_Rock
I was just looking over the diamond you recommended and the one I had seen on Bluenile and trying to compare the numbers, but they are pretty much foreign to me. Here are the numbers for the Bluenile I was originally looking at if it helps you....

Blue Nile - Diamond Certificate

Blue Nile - Diamond Certificate

Again, thank you for much for all of your help,

Dave

researcher

Ideal_Rock
ALthough it''s not always the case, you usually want a diamond with the depth greater than the table. Also, Blue Nile does not provide pavilion and crown angles--important information for judging the quality of a stone. Now, it is possible that the stone you seem to like could be a good one. BUT, they do not give you the information you need to truly judge the quality of the stone. In fact, the supposed photos of the diamond can''t be THAT diamond because a stone with a 71% table would NOT look like that. Those are the types of things that concern me. However, I am just not a fan of Blue Nile so I may be biased. I just don''t think they do you any great service, AND their prices are higher. Just my $0.02!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my stone which also has a 71% table.

mydc.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the BN image of a stone that supposedly has a 71% table:

princess_100_lg_top.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
So, I think you can see that the photo is NOT of the stone you''re looking at. It''s things like this that make me question BN.

atldc

Rough_Rock
Ah yes, I see what you are saying there. Any thoughts on this combo?

1.01 Carat GIA Certified Princess Cut Diamond: E Color, VS1 Clarity

Platinum Comfort Fit X Prong Engagement Ring for Princess Diamond, by Vatche

And it does seem like I am stuck on E, but that seems like the highest color I can go with with an ideal cut and VS1 and vg/vg polish and symmetry. Possibly going to my original post, would you suggest going to a lower color? I have some posts that people like the warmer colors of G/H. What are you opinions.

Thanks,

Dave

researcher

Ideal_Rock
That stone looks good, although stones with an average girdle of TK may look smaller than similar stones, and would not get the highest grade. That being said, it is not a bad thing at all--I would choose TK over one with a lot of variation.

As for the color, you will definitely not notice the difference between E and F, and possibly even E and G. Each stone is unique. My stone is an I, and I NEVER thought I would go below a G. But, my stone faces up really white. Here's a photo (the stones in the band are I think F/G):

slh2ba2c.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Also, because you are looking at stones in the 1ct range the color will show even less. And, as I said before, there''s no reason to pay for clarity. If you want to be guaranteed that the stone will be eye clean stick to VS2 and above. Because you are focused on color, I would not go below a G. But, I do not think there''s any reason to stick with the E in color and not get quite as good of a stone. Why not get a stone that looks bigger and that you can not tell the color difference in once it''s set? Just a thought!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 2:41:52 PM
Author: researcher
Also, because you are looking at stones in the 1ct range the color will show even less. And, as I said before, there''s no reason to pay for clarity. If you want to be guaranteed that the stone will be eye clean stick to VS2 and above. Because you are focused on color, I would not go below a G. But, I do not think there''s any reason to stick with the E in color and not get quite as good of a stone. Why not get a stone that looks bigger and that you can not tell the color difference in once it''s set? Just a thought!
I''d listen to researcher, very good advice being given here.
2.gif

blr66666

Rough_Rock
What is the Pricescope discount with Whiteflash? I think I read that you get the wire price. Do I still get the wire price if I charge it on my credit card? Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I am aware you get the PS discount which is Whiteflash's strongest discount if you pay by wire transfer only, I don't know if it applies to credit cards. More info to come in a minute!

"All diamonds at WF have a discount when PS is mentioned. All discounted prices are bank wire prices." You will have to contact them directly to discuss the discount and how much etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I made a purchase from WF recently, I got the PS discount. Since my $ amount was small, it didn''t make sense for me to go the bank wire transfer route since the cost came about even with their bank wire discount. In your case, since your purchase is around 5K, you will get two discounts: the PS discount and if you choose to wire the funds, the bank wire price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results