shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal diamonds on paper to real life...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
When we are talking about the best of the best cut diamonds on PS- I gather diamonds have different "personalities" and this becomes a matter of personal preference. Some like more fire, white light, broad strokes vs. pin like sparkle, etc.

If you do not live near a PS vender- how in the world do you find a local jeweler who will show you a bunch of different ideal diamonds with the stats so you can start to figure out what visually appeals to you the most? I am not talking about comparing a well cut stone vs. a so-so stone. I am talking about the personality differences when comparing stones that all have excellent cut grading. The local jewelers I have found look at me like I am crazy when I start asking PS type questions to compare stones. I am in the LA area. Any ideas how to find a place that appreciates an educated consumer and one that is willing to talk about more than just carat, color, and clarity?

Plus- it seems like my local venders charge WAY more than prices found online so it seems like even if I find a vender that will take the time to show me lots of diamonds, i will probably not buy from them anyway so maybe they know this????

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll look for locally owned non chain type jewellery stores and upscales stores (like Tiffany).

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
You mean NOT Tiffany right? This is one place in particular where i discovered I seem to know more than the salespeople about diamonds and I have only been learning from PS for about one month! They will not share certificates until after purchase and will only give % if really pushed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do mean Tiffany. If you want to see which shapes appeal to you, that's the best place to go SEE the diamonds. That way you'll know the different sparkle between rounds, ECs, princesses, ovals, etc. As for asking questions, well, it's up to the individual salesperson's knowledge.

If you want stats AND see the stones, then you'll have to find a jeweller who can call in stones for you to view. This will prove very difficult as it'll cost them a lot of shipping costs PLUS you might end up not buying from them.

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
I am talking about comparing round to round, all with similar color and clarity.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, gotcha!
3.gif
I thought you also wanted to see other shapes.

In that case, try local mom& pop non-chain type stores and other high end local jewellers. Especially the higher end stores, they''ll have a decent amount of loose stone inventory and would be more than pleased to show them to you.

junior35

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 12:28:14 PM
Author:JulieA
When we are talking about the best of the best cut diamonds on PS- I gather diamonds have different 'personalities' and this becomes a matter of personal preference. Some like more fire, white light, broad strokes vs. pin like sparkle, etc.

If you do not live near a PS vender- how in the world do you find a local jeweler who will show you a bunch of different ideal diamonds with the stats so you can start to figure out what visually appeals to you the most? I am not talking about comparing a well cut stone vs. a so-so stone. I am talking about the personality differences when comparing stones that all have excellent cut grading. The local jewelers I have found look at me like I am crazy when I start asking PS type questions to compare stones. I am in the LA area. Any ideas how to find a place that appreciates an educated consumer and one that is willing to talk about more than just carat, color, and clarity?

Plus- it seems like my local venders charge WAY more than prices found online so it seems like even if I find a vender that will take the time to show me lots of diamonds, i will probably not buy from them anyway so maybe they know this????
Sadly you are right. In general, jeweler education is not up to snuff and it's unfortunate,but true that by reading threads here on PS you could very likely become much better versed than many local jewelers. Please remember that the quality of stones discussed here on PS truly represent the pinacle of diamond production and a really small fraction of diamonds polished reach such a caliber.The mainstream buyer still has (although I suspect it's changing) very limited diamond knowledge and is probabely quite content with the information he/she gets in the shops.How is the saying?Ignorance is bliss?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe go to the AGS website, and by zip code or what not, look for a member store near you?

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
Thanks- I want to AGS website and was surprised how few retailers in LA! Not including the Tiffanies and Ben Bridge chain stores- there were less than ten in LA area. I have purchased fine watches or other jewelry at a few of the places listed and my past experiences tells me they are WAY overpriced and snobby. For a location where everyone wears huge bling I would think there would be more stores listed at AGS site. Interetsing...

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Look for stores that carry branded H&As, Lazarre Kaplan, Hearts on Fire, etc.

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
I actually did find a store that carried hearts on fire (gosh they are expensive!) and he swears they are the BEST cut, but my understanding it these are basically the exact same as ACA hearts and arrows, right? It seems like WF has a very specific idea of what is the best looking diamond, but it seems like GOG and others have different concepts of what looks the best within the strict parameters of AGS0. I am trying to figure out what I prefer among the slight visual differences in AGS0 round. I am going to try some of the places on the AGS list that i have not gone to before- or I might be taking a LONG trip to Massapequa Park!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results