shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal diamonds for earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
I have 2 diamonds that are pretty well matched. One is an ideal .57ct H Si2, the other is .64ct H VS2, they have appraised at almost $4000. each.

Because they look like a perfect match I am thinking of having them made into a pair of diamond earrings. But I''d like to know whether they''re worth more as earrings or as seperate rings. (The disclaimer is that they are for resale). I would hate to seperate them being they look so much alike.

Any opinions?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------

The disclaimer is that they are for resale

----------------

Okay, so we're confused... Are these personal diamonds that you are thinking of putting together for earrings? Or are these two diamonds that you are hoping to sell that you are thinking might sell better as earrings?

If for personal use, we suppose that it doesn't matter that the size and clarity of the diamonds is pretty far off. However, if this is something you are planning to sell, it doesn't sound like an accurate match to us... Most high-line retailers try to match up their earring stock within 2-3/100th's of a millimeter and match the clarity and color exactly, but obviously a consumer can match up whatever they want to wear in their ears... Our answer may not be what you're looking for because we're not quite sure of the question - we're just assuming that this is what you're asking.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
If you can tell the difference between a 5.39 & a 5.49mm by eye, then my hats off to you!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Robin and Todd could spot a tenth millimeter difference in a second, but once mounted, most people would not notice it.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
That's it, they're both mounted now & face to face or even side by side they look like a perfect match. The color grading is the same & they're both super eye clean, which is why I asked.

But they're right about not being clarity matched - and I didn't think that would be such a concern because people don't walk around with a loupe checking other people's ears & total they're 1.21cts, so they're not going to target a high priced buyer, looking for such perfection.

Short of it, do you agree that they should be kept seperate?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not being in the jewelry biz at all...I think that the stones would probably be worth more unmounted, sold as loose stones. From watching eBay and the like, people seem to be bidding more on loose stones that don't stifle their imagination...e.g. people don't like mounted rings as much as as a loose stone as they don't seem to realize that the stone is easily removed from an old setting AND/OR the setting may color their judgement of the stone, and in my opinion you will lose buyers considering the difference in sizing...as most uneducated buyers will think, wow that is a big difference and bypass the auction. I'm not sure if you are considering eBay or an entirely different venue, but my vote is loose stones. People feel as though they can do more with them...

2.gif
Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results