shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I had a question,... I was wondering what makes a stone an ideal cut? Is it the specs if they match the ideal cut? Or is it something that says so on the GIA?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It is a combination of proportions (total depth, table diameter, crown angle, pavilion angle, culet size, girdle thickness); and the polish and symmetry rating. The GIA does not state the crown and pavilion angle measurements on their lab report so you will need to obtain a Sarin / OGI computerized proportions analysis in addition to the lab report to make the determination. Some people consider diamonds to be "ideal cut" if the proportions alone fall within the range for Ideal as set forth by the AGS, but in our opinion the polish and symmetry must also be Excellent if GIA Graded and Ideal if AGS Graded. Not all ideals are created equal, the range for ideal as specified by the AGS Laboratory is too broad, recommend a tighter combination of proportions such as:
Total depth between 59 - 61.8%
Table diameter between 53 - 57%
Crown angle between 34.3 - 34.8 degrees
Pavilion angle between 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Girdle 1.0% thin to 1.8% medium, preferably faceted.
Culet: GIA None or AGS Pointed
Polish: GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal
Symmetry: GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal

Other combinations of proportions work equally well, but take a bit more practice to work out which combinations work better than others, assuming that you're trying to select a diamond by Christmas / New Years the aforementioned set of parameters will cut a lot of the guesswork out of the process for you.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
ic.. okay... so it's looking for the proportions.. and also the measurements... but the GIA certificate doesn't actually say so... got it. Thanks..

And also I'm looking for something with LOTS of FIRE. Not having as much brilliace is okay.. I would just like it to have lots of bursts of color.. and look like it has much more faucets..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not happy with your new stone, Leota??

If a stone has more fire than white brilliance, it may lose something in the transition. That is why something like a TIC is the best of both worlds. You should have tons of fire with an ideal stone. Depends on lighting, again as I mentioned the other day.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
hahah .. mara..

I LOVE THIS DIAMOND! But this is a gift for my mother..paid for by myself and my 3 other sisters for her birthday and christmas gift. If you saw the pics in SHOW ME THE RING... the sizing is for her.. so I had it on my index finger. Waaaay too big for me.. her size is 5 1/2.. mine is 3 1/4.

For myself... I think a 1 carat... But I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on myself tho..

boyfriend says he'll buy me one. and the budget will be $10,000 ... but I really doont' want him to spend this kind of money right now... he's 25.. Cause I know for himself he never wastes money on useless things.. And I'm already very touched that he offered cuz he knows I LOVE diamonds.. and he sees me surfing the web just to look at them.

We're trying to save money for a house.. and we've talked about getting marriend.. so....*sigh* haaha....
21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh I know that you noted that you were giving this ring to your Mom but I thought it was a 'later' kind of thing.

$10k..nice budget
1.gif
We can definitely help you spend that. But.....

Suggestion? I love diamonds too. Sometimes it helps to start out small. I have a 'plan'....trying to get the fiance to agree to it. He's coming around.
9.gif
The plan is that every year we'll put aside something like $2k into my 'diamond fund'. I can get a stone with that from an online company that has a lifetime upgrade policy, and then year after year as we add to the 'fund'...I can get a larger stone. Eventually I'll have a pretty big stone! In the first few years I may do a pendant or something fun with it, but eventually I want it to be an upgrade to my e-ring stone, but still be able to keep the original e-ring stone because we are somewhat sentimentally attached to it.

So why don't you have your bf start you out with something like $3k...you can get a great .80 H SI or similar with an excellent cut and wear it in a pendant or a right hand ring or similar. Then maybe in a year or so if you guys decide to get engaged, you can add to that original amount and upgrade the diamond. But you'll have something to play with in the meantime.
2.gif

I am eyeballing WhiteFlash if my plan works out, because they have spectactular selection on all different shapes and sizes of stones (e.g. pears intrigue me), and their ACA RB H&A stones are stunners. Plus their upgrade policy is excellent.
2.gif

Food for thought. You can get something really awesome for $3k and it can be something like a starter stone for you and your bf to play with until the actual engagement/wedding etc
1.gif
Plus it's alot easier on the wallet and you still get a sparkly stone.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

Thank you for your thoughtfulness...
21.gif
I think you're idea for me is really good! I would be happy and proud to wear anything he gets me.. even if it's 0.10 carats.. hahaha.. that sounds pathetic.... (i would make it into an earing and wear it in the second hole of one ear) haha.. j/k

I think he did get me something with the hearts and arrows cut for christmas

the other day I found a slip in his car with some vendors written on it like GOG, WF, NICEICE.. their sites.. something about a 7 stone ACA for $1400.. and I found that matched up to WF band.. I'm not supposed to knoiw about this tho...

haha.. I"m really excited..

now, what do i get him? act surprised when i open it??? hahahahah .. no.. i really will be...

But I think when he mentions about picking out a ring again, I think I will tell him about your idea.. to start small and upgrade later...

thanks, mara

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results