shape
carat
color
clarity

"Ideal Cut" vs. "Ideal Range"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bams0103

Rough_Rock
Can somebody explain this to me? This is from the niceice website. The specs on my diamond fall within the specs on this table, except my total depth is 63.5%, which is far from ideal. Why is total depth not taken into account? I''m confused. I guess what''s ideal to one is not necessarily ideal to another?

To the average consumer, the terms "Ideal Cut" and "Ideal Range" might seem like the same thing, however they are actually quite different. Understanding how these terms are used and mis-used by the diamond industry will assist you in the selection process of your diamond and possibly prevent misunderstandings. A true "Ideal Cut Diamond" is a round brilliant cut diamond that has been cut to AGS Ideal Cut Proportions as defined in the following table:
Table Diameter: 52.4 - 57.5%
Crown Angle: 33.7 - 35.8 Degrees (My crown % is 16)
Pavilion Depth: 42.2 - 43.8% (My pavillion angle is 41.1)
Girdle Thickness: Thin, Medium, Slightly Thick
Culet Size: None, Pointed, Very Small, Small, or Medium

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe some insight here...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually use this chart to guide my choices on diamonds:

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

According to this, 62.3% is the deepest range for the highest category of ideal cut. In addition, when you get stones deeper than that, you may start losing some diameter since more of the weight is in the depth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results