shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal cut proportion standards - an alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vvv333

Rough_Rock
I''ve been studying up on cut quality on the Good Old Gold and Pricescope sites. I''ve learned that ideal proportions are often defined differently by the originators of each "standard" and by some certification agencies. There are also caveats explaining that these ideals are just predictors that a particular stone has optimal fire and brilliance, and that there may be other combinations of angles and depth for that stone that may also provide almost, or just as much, brilliance and fire as the ideal proportions. Given this variability, why doesn''t a standard exist that specifically measures and grades a diamond''s light return/refraction in terms of fire and brilliance using an instrument such as the brilliancescope? It would be much easier for diamond consumers to compare prospective diamonds based upon this particular measurement, rather than working through calculations based on ideal proportion guidelines which may or may not result in the identification of a stone with optimal fire and brilliance.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
::crickets::

I think you've asked a really good question! I don't know the answer, but I'd like to.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I'd like to interject that beauty is not quantifiable.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Good question, and subject of much past discussion.

Quick answer: In today’s world of strict tolerances and measurements to fractions of a percent the Brilliancescope is not consistent enough to be adopted as a measure of exact performance. BS given error is +/- 5% which is far too high for any “precise” device.

Much BS in this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/x847.htm

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Much of the problem is that the properties you propose to measure are so vaguely defined that there is little agreement on how they can be measured.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results