shape
carat
color
clarity

ideal color for a larger pendant?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am shopping for a Ideal or Super Ideal pendant for my wife. She currently has a 4.04ct K that is a very bright stone; it graded well on the idealscope and ASET when I purchased it, and would probably be considered "ideal", but not quite that extra tier of "super ideal".

I would like to get her a somewhat matching pendant. Not 4ct obviously, but 2ct plus seems like a good matching size. I am wondering about color though: she is not worried about having a warmer diamond, and loved the fact that she got 4ct instead of 3ct by getting a slightly warmer K instead of, say an H or I. What if I go with something like an L or M for the pendant? I can get her more size for the money.

Will the slightly warmer diamond "pop" less, or does that "wow" factor have more to do with cut than color? I have seen several posters here say they are very happy with warmer diamonds: it allows them to get more size at a given price point. Others say they only want basically colorless.

She is happy with either, but what I want to know is: does the "wow" factor get diminished with a warmer stone? I am primarily shopping with "super ideal" vendors.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you maximize performance and focus on buying the best cut, K is a fabulous color for a pendant. And no, the WOW factor absolutely does not diminish with a K at all. The sparkle, the life, the fire... that's where the wow is and that comes from the best cut you can afford. Not with the body color. I promise.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I think pendants have a little more flexibility with color because they aren’t usually viewed or inspected as close as a ring when worn.
Cut, cut, cut- find a little sparkle bomb!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m fairly color sensitive with my diamonds in my rings (J or higher), but I have a 1.5ct M OEC pendent and it doesn’t bother me at all. And I agree with others- cut makes all the difference in the world so focus on that :geek2:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience If she already is happy with a "K" for a ring she will likely be fine with a "L" or "M" for a pendant. If it's well cut (which it seems like you're well versed in) it will still have excellent light return and IMO the color will not diminish the beauty. Color is my favorite "C" to save some money with :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
n-m or even one with more color are awesome for someone who likes warmer looking stones.
Some of my favorite all time diamonds that I have seen were in the n-m-op range.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
btw in my opinion there is no ideal color, color is what it is and different people have different preferences and tolerances.
To me a D color is more ideal than a M color.
Some people do have an ideal for them color but "we" can not tell you what that color would happen to be.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I will look into the warmer colors. I see some nice larger stones on a couple of vendors sites. The OEC looks amazing too. I will check that out. It seems like the price is right!

Her engagement ring, being a K, still faces up beautifully and is exceptionally bright.

It is an upgrade, as I originally got her a smaller I 2.3 carat AGS 000

She liked the larger size, and couldn’t tell much of a difference in the way of color, so to her it was a big upgrade! Nobody ever commented on the color with her old ring, but she certainly gets a lot of compliments now with the larger size! The other day, we were at a whiskey tasting and the owner of the distillery stopped when she came up and said “well dear, don’t blind me with your ring”

I have liked whiteflash products in the past, but I called them and they don’t do warmer diamonds for some reason.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m fairly color sensitive with my diamonds in my rings (J or higher), but I have a 1.5ct M OEC pendent and it doesn’t bother me at all. And I agree with others- cut makes all the difference in the world so focus on that :geek2:

I certainly don’t think anything I give her will “bother “her. She isn’t the type of woman to be prissy about gifts that she is given. Especially not about super ideal cut diamonds. That would be akin to Leslie Nielsen in naked gun complaining that the chateau le blanc 68 thevprisoners were being served was at room temperature instead of slightly chilled. To most everyone outside of these forums, a big, bright diamond is just that: spectacular!

She knows I put a lot of time and effort into getting her well thought out gifts, and she has always been appreciative. She said a cracker jack box engagement ring would’ve been worn proudly, if that’s all I could afford

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly don’t think anything I give her will “bother “her. She isn’t the type of woman to be prissy about gifts that she is given. Especially not about super ideal cut diamonds. That would be akin to Leslie Nielsen in naked gun complaining that the chateau le blanc 68 thevprisoners were being served was at room temperature instead of slightly chilled. To most everyone outside of these forums, a big, bright diamond is just that: spectacular!

She knows I put a lot of time and effort into getting her well thought out gifts, and she has always been appreciative. She said a cracker jack box engagement ring would’ve been worn proudly, if that’s all I could afford
I wasn’t trying to suggest wouldn’t love whatever you got her. Was only trying to give you an idea of how much lower in color you could go with a pendent since you asked :)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
She said a cracker jack box engagement ring would’ve been worn proudly, if that’s all I could afford

Ahhhh True love!!!!
Sounds like she's a treasure. I'm so glad you're happy!

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wasn’t trying to suggest wouldn’t love whatever you got her. Was only trying to give you an idea of how much lower in color you could go with a pendent since you asked :)

yes, I figured! Thank you for the reply!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results