shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal center stone size for size 8 ring!! Help!

sgil09

Rough_Rock
So what is your opinion on the ideal round center stone size for a size 8 ring. Here is the setting I will most likely select.

Thanks!!!!

Paradiso.JPG

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
My suggestion would be to find out the width of the setting to get an idea of how much bigger the stone would look as would be wider than the setting.

sgil09

Rough_Rock
I was hoping to go 10k max on the center stone. Especially given the setting isnt so cheap either! ;-)

So what do you think is the best I can shoot for?

sgil09

Rough_Rock
Cant seem to find the band width, guess I would need to get the jeweler to measure it.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is hard to tell how wide the ring is, but I would guess around 4 to 5mm, you have a $10,000 budget so I would think you should go as large as it will allow, I havent priced diamonds lately but I think you will get around 1.25ct, which I think would look pretty darn good on a size 8 finger. I wear a 8.5 and I have a 1ct and I wished it was a little bigger....

ETA: that is a very pretty ring :wink2:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would stick with excellent/ideal cut and get the largest diamond you can within your color/clarity preferences.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you the intended wearer or is this an engagement ring? The wearer's preference should come into play I think.

sgil09

Rough_Rock
I am the giver, not the wearer. Unfortunately she seems just as clueless when hinting on this topic. I don’t think she wants anything obnoxious but nothing small either. I guess I am asking what would look most balanced.

Thanks

gummy-bear

Shiny_Rock
Yay, I am also a size 8. I think it comes down to personal preference and style. I tried on 1-2 ct diamonds before choosing a 1.2 ct. For me (this may sound crazy) 2 cts didn't suit me. I don't wear any jewelry or dress up normally and worried that a 2 ct on me would look out of place. I was also afraid that 1 ct would get lost on my rather large hands. The setting I chose is a 3mm band that tapers to 2.5 near the stone.

I have not seen it on my hand yet but according to the boyfriend (not yet fiance :p) it gives great coverage. Try taking her to a local B&M just to try on different sizes. I know it's hard for ladies with bigger hands to find display rings that fit. I tried them on my pinky to see how it would look like on my hand overall. Good luck.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
In these trying times ( high diamond prices! :lol: ) I would spend as little as possible on the setting and go for the highest amount possible on the center stone.

If she's not averse to picking a setting with you at a later date, then I would put all of my "eggs" (read: cash) on the center stone. G color, excellent cut and SI1 (VERY EYE CLEAN) or VS2 clarity. You have a healthy budget for the center stone but in my opinion, it's always easier to wrangle up say another 3k for a setting over a span of "x" amount of months and have a better sized center stone which (seems) like it takes forever to save up for...lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results