shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal Asscher Dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I believe I am finally well versed with Asscher stones, Royal Asscher, step cut, and square emerald cut differences, as far as names are concerned.

I realize I truly do not WANT to afford a Royal Asscher, and want an ideally cut generic Asscher/step cut/sqaure cut emerald.

What dimensions do i need to have to come close to the branded versions of the original or Royal Asscher stones? I know you cannot get exact as far as facets go, but I need some help.

Thanks in advance,
G

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to me that the ideal-ness of an Assher is in the precise pattern of the pavillion faceting. Light return is not the main concern.

I'd say all you can do it look at some stones and see if they speak to you. Maybe one of the pros can comment as to if the depth for a well-cut emerald can be used as a guide to narrow down your Assher search.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Because of the nature of the cut, there is no "ideal" make for an Asscher. The Royal Asscher is a very finely cut stone and beautiful.... Grading it "Ideal" would be a totally subjective decision on anyone's part. Don't be fooled by terminology. Look at the diamond...

If you want a high degree of light performance than you need to compare various Asscher cuts until you find one that suits your taste in brilliancy, dispersion and scintillation. There will be variety in the way they look, so it is more a matter of what suits YOU.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks alot.

The advice is much appreciated, but it makes it very difficult to buy online than doesn't it? Photos typically never do the stone any justice.

-G

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That's the case with fancies in general, but even more so with a shape that's basically trying to knock-off another shape--but can't get anywhere close to duplicating it without a lawsuit. It think your best is to find a jeweler you trust, have them send you one or two for evaluation, and hope for the best.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It helps buying online if the vendor carries IdealScope images of the stones. You can weed out the poor performers pretty quickly by viewing the images.

If they don't have images posted, ask them if they can email them to you.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The importance with the Asscher cut is not so much the proportions, but the precision with which the stone has been cut to produce the concentric squares pattern in the center of the stone... Shallower stones don't seem to perform as well as those cut a little deeper. We've been playing with a lot of Asscher cuts lately and have yet to determine a specific combination of measurements which consistently delivers diamonds with the look that we seek... The Asscher cuts definitely are not as easy as the rounds to predict the visual performance of based upon numbers alone, we rejected more than 70% of the last load we considered for inventory for various reasons, it's driving the cutter insane... Find a dealer who you can relate to and send them on a quest for the diamond of your dreams but don't get too caught up on the proportions because there doesn't seem to be a set combination of rules to play by with this cut...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results