shape
carat
color
clarity

Idea For Hiding

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am currently moving to a house from a condo. Please suggest some ideas for hiding jewellery. I don't have much; only need a shoe box for my collection. My condo is very secure so I have no worry about losing my collection. However, there are so many houses getting break in my city. I am looking for idea to hide my collection. Thank you.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I have a book that looks like a dictionary. I think I bought it on Amazon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please get a home safe or keep your valuable bling in a safety deposit box. Not worth the risk. Thieves can find it if you hide it in your house.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get a safety deposit box at your local bank and put the jewelry you aren't regularly wearing in it.

The worst part about hiding things in your house is that you might do such a great job hiding it that you forget and or accidentally toss out your jewelry!

Q

Queenie60

I suggest a home safe and to have it bolted into the foundation. Research the safe and be sure to purchase a sturdy, not easy to break safe. Thieves have been known to carry away safes that are not secured to the foundation. I would not suggest a wall safe as they're easy to break with a heavy object.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do a search on advice from burglars. Some good articles about what they look for. How to make your house less appealing to break into and how they find your stuff if they do go in.

Short answer is that they know all the hiding spots and still get your stuff. Secure a safe (attach it) or store in the bank. You can't outsmart them.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do hide items in your house, send yourself an email, or create a document on your computer detailing where they are-- in case you forget in the future!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your ideas. I didn't want to get a safety deposit box at the bank because I don't like going out. If I put the collection at the bank, I probably will not go to the bank to look at the collection.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you structurally change your condo, like install a hidden safe somewhere like in the floor or wall? Again unless it is both a) hidden and b) hard to break into, robbers know all the usual hiding places and they are OK with turning your place inside ou. The main things I've heard, is to have an alarm system that connects to the police, because they will be on the clock, and then have it hard to find/hard to break into so they will run out of time before they can access it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your ideas. I didn't want to get a safety deposit box at the bank because I don't like going out. If I put the collection at the bank, I probably will not go to the bank to look at the collection.

Then a home safe bolted to the floor and wall are your best option. I have these and so far so good. I get to enjoy any/all of my collection whenever I want to and wear what I want when I feel like it.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-jewelry-box.217341/#post-3949910

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodies are at the bank.

If it has to be at home, I think whacky and utterly unexpected places are best.

Inside a curtain rod.
Inside food.
Unscrew a doorknob and put them in the door.

Remove a door.
Remove a hinge plate.
Carve out a hole in the wood for them.
Replace plate and door.

Plant some decoys.
Keep a jewelry box in the top drawer of your bedroom dresser.
In it keep a couple CZs (not too big) set in real gold with the 14K or 18K stamp.
After grabbing that some will assume that's the best you've got and stop looking.

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home safe bolted to the floor. Don't count on "hiding" jewelry, it's not a good plan.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEVER hide it in the light switch box... I forget who did it here in the group, but those pictures were awful!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of the above ideas, and if you would like it, a large, loud dog. DH's former boss had worked in security prior to the time they worked together. He really felt it was the best deterrent to bad guys going into house. Why deal with a dog, when it would be easier to move onto another home?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
If you need a cheap option, a tackle box or tool box works, especially if you put it where they'd normally go.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the toilet tank!..;)2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FCDs look nice sprinkled in an aquarium. :eek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results