carat
color
clarity

idea for circle pendant

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
I decided I want a circle pendant likely made with moissanite/lab diamond. I couldn't find anything that quite fit the aesthetic I wanted, so decided to make mock-ups of what I want and then try to have one of the moissy vendors make it for me (likely Tianyu or goldenbird since they have the kite/asscher shapes I used in my designs).

What do you all think? These are super rough (done in power point by combining multiple pics). The idea is to have a solid gold circle with a small hanging strip of pave with a larger fancy cut at the bottom of the pave strip. I like both the kite shape and the modified asscher cut.

The circle itself is only 1inch (from the pic I used), so the stone wouldn't be huge. I'd have to figure out how big would work for the middle stone itself (or ask for CADS to visualize).

kite on bottom.jpg

Obviously the other option is to go with something standard and premade. I like these ones:

The problem is that nothing premade is "speaking" to me. I'd love to hear thoughts!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I love both of your rough compositions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So GoldenBird said that the modified asscher shape will look better than the kite shape, but I am still not positive I agree. @anangel @mrsgreeneyes you guys are moissy experts--what do you think? There's something that appeals to me about the kite shape but I can't quite put my finger on it.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I like the way the kite looks in the circle better than the asscher. Did GoldenBird mean the cut quality of the asscher perhaps? If so, I’d love to see the asscher compass set- so the corners are NESW if that makes sense.
I’m with you on the kite though- the asscher looks like your trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the way the kite looks in the circle better than the asscher. Did GoldenBird mean the cut quality of the asscher perhaps? If so, I’d love to see the asscher compass set- so the corners are NESW if that makes sense.
I’m with you on the kite though- the asscher looks like your trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to me.

ahhh interesting! Good point. I am paying him a tiny fee to make CADS, so I'll see what it looks like and ask him about either turning the asscher NESW or just changing to the kite shape. I love the kite shape, but obviously the guy at goldenbird knows their cuts better than I do haha.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
actually I just did it in PPT and really like the idea of the asscher turned sideways. asscher turned .jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
reminds me of the lightbox princess pendant, you could totally get that and have a gold ring added to it :D actually maybe i should do that and solve my pendant problem... :lol-2:

i think both shapes you mocked up look good, is there one that goes better with the jewelry you typically wear? more modern vs more antique? or more angular vs softer corners?

1592885136994.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
reminds me of the lightbox princess pendant, you could totally get that and have a gold ring added to it :D actually maybe i should do that and solve my pendant problem... :lol-2:

i think both shapes you mocked up look good, is there one that goes better with the jewelry you typically wear? more modern vs more antique? or more angular vs softer corners?

1592885136994.png

haha good point! Although I honestly think that the project will end up being less expensive than it would be if I bought LB and added the gold ring :) I also have an inexplicable dislike for princess stones that I can't quite explain. Something about the faceting has never appealed to me. Even though they look similar, I much prefer asscher vs princess.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha good point! Although I honestly think that the project will end up being less expensive than it would be if I bought LB and added the gold ring :) I also have an inexplicable dislike for princess stones that I can't quite explain. Something about the faceting has never appealed to me. Even though they look similar, I much prefer asscher vs princess.

yeah i hear that, princess is a very specific look ..i think asscher has that timeless retro elegance. excited to see what you come up with =)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah i hear that, princess is a very specific look ..i think asscher has that timeless retro elegance. excited to see what you come up with =)

Thanks! I'm excited to see the CAD they make for me. I have a feeling I'll end up with the lozenge/kite shape bc I just love it. But of course I'll ask him why he prefers the asscher and see what the CAD looks like

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anangel I emailed Tianyu today bc their cuts are so good. Ella suggested that the lozenge shape would work best. So I assume that vendors have their own preferences about cuts. I might end up using Tianyu bc I trust their pave work and cuts a lot and they have a long track record. Plus I feel like the Chinese material is more consistently white/colorless than the material from India, and in this case I want colorless.

Tagging @swaye2010 and @Rfisher too because swaye has worked with lots of these vendors and Rfisher is a photoshop editing genius and can visualize stuff better than I can :)

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@anangel I emailed Tianyu today bc their cuts are so good. Ella suggested that the lozenge shape would work best. So I assume that vendors have their own preferences about cuts. I might end up using Tianyu bc I trust their pave work and cuts a lot and they have a long track record. Plus I feel like the Chinese material is more consistently white/colorless than the material from India, and in this case I want colorless.

Tagging @swaye2010 and @Rfisher too because swaye has worked with lots of these vendors and Rfisher is a photoshop editing genius and can visualize stuff better than I can :)

I totally agree that the results with Tianyu have been pleasantly predictable. I don’t think your project is super ambitious, so if they said they can do it, I believe them.
I’m really excited to see how this turns out- you’re always so nice giving feedback on everyone else’s projects, I hope yours comes out exactly how you envision it.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

I wonder why I never get alerts anymore? Seems since the updates, I never see half of these. Anyways...I agree that Tianyu will give you more predictable results. I prefer the Lozenge probably over the kite. I like the idea of the circle and the lozenge kind of dripping in the center. Even more so then the idea of the kite.

Somebody did a grey shield recently on reddit that is a cool color & shape

I also saw something that could be amended to work for you from Mona.

I would also look at some of the portrait cuts that Tianyu have done lately on the sub. I think there are also more then one way to do the lozenge from this pic although I am not sure what they are each called but I am sure you can choose. We seem to get a lot more traffic over there then we do in this section so it is hard to find examples w/o directing you over there to look at recent projects.
FAC6EF5C-632D-4B66-B6F0-B2C37079CAEB.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back with cads! Unfortinately I don't love the proportions. Can others who are better at reading CADs help me figure out why I prefer the mock up I did above? One thing is that I dont want the end of the moissanite to be so close to the bottom of the circle, so I need the circle a bit bigger. Tagging @Rfisher because you are great at reading images.

20200629_075904.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this :oops2: didn’t see the previous tag!
I will be back a bit later with my thoughts for sure
I really do like your inspo mockups :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this :oops2: didn’t see the previous tag!
I will be back a bit later with my thoughts for sure
I really do like your inspo mockups :)

No worries! Thanks for your help, I appreciate it :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs
I think you hit the nail on the head and that it’s the size ratio of the two shapes of moissy to the gold circle.
The other things that I see as being different is your mockup has an elliptical shape as opposed to the CADs circular shape. The bail on the CAD is depicted more dainty, and also depicts all yellow gold as opposed to your mockup being two tone.

The only other thing I can think of - And it’s not in relation to your question as to why you prefer your mockup over the CAD-
Is some pendants have the bail extend a bit further back than the back of the actual pendant. I don’t know the why or what or if the length of the pendant on the chain at which it’s worn matters for the ‘why‘ - but thought I’d bring it up. Hopefully someone that knows the ‘why’ can answer that for me.
@bling_dream19 posted her gorgeous pear pendant last week that shows the bail being like I’m talking about.

FD86D8B6-F825-488A-99A4-ADF8BBF9087A.jpeg
Sizing the circles to approximately the same size height wise on a grid helps to see the proportion differences and hopefully might help you choose what you like better and what to maybe alter?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs
I think you hit the nail on the head and that it’s the size ratio of the two shapes of moissy to the gold circle.
The other things that I see as being different is your mockup has an elliptical shape as opposed to the CADs circular shape. The bail on the CAD is depicted more dainty, and also depicts all yellow gold as opposed to your mockup being two tone.

The only other thing I can think of - And it’s not in relation to your question as to why you prefer your mockup over the CAD-
Is some pendants have the bail extend a bit further back than the back of the actual pendant. I don’t know the why or what or if the length of the pendant on the chain at which it’s worn matters for the ‘why‘ - but thought I’d bring it up. Hopefully someone that knows the ‘why’ can answer that for me.
@bling_dream19 posted her gorgeous pear pendant last week that shows the bail being like I’m talking about.

FD86D8B6-F825-488A-99A4-ADF8BBF9087A.jpeg
Sizing the circles to approximately the same size height wise on a grid helps to see the proportion differences and hopefully might help you choose what you like better and what to maybe alter?

Thank you, this is super helpful! I thought both were circles, so that shows my awful visualization skills lol. Also putting them next to each other I can see that the lozenge in my mock up is less elongated, which I much prefer. My mock up was only 2-tone because I found the diamond "line" piece from a pic in white gold, but told Ella that IRL I wanted all one tone and more dainty (I think the one in my mockup is too bulky and the stones aren't set well--it was just the best example I could find).

But the shape of the circle and the shape of the stone is definitely the issue. Any thoughts on how I communicate this to them clearly? @anangel? I feel like drawing is going to be better than trying to explain in words.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used calipers and drew out the pendant to see what it might look like IRL when wearing it. I think 25mm for the circle might be best and a 9x9 (ish) lozenge cut. Here is my drawing. The circle itself is about 2mm wide.
Does it look too big on my neck? I want to be able to wear it regularly without it looking huge or costume. But I also want it to be visible as a circle with a lozenge inside and dont want the details to be too small.

20200629_121549.jpg 20200629_121427.jpg 20200629_121446.jpg

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I know where you’re going with the pendant, but I’m having such a hard time visioning it- I’m useless! I’ve never seen anything like it in person. I can’t wait to see the finished product though!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I approved CADs today and paid--can't wait to see it IRL! Approved CAD.png

I made some changes to the thickness of the circle itself, and asked for a less elongated stone since the 6x12 wasn't what I wanted. Overall I am very happy with how the CAD looks. Thank you to @Rfisher and @bludiva and @anangel for your help!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great, and it’s a nice overall size on you as well

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awesome! the first word that came to mind for me was "celestial," go figure. =) standing by for lots of photos!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s very classy, and eternal looking. Your portions are fantastic too. Please post a pic of the moissanite when it’s cut- I don’t think I’ve seen that shape before.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Think I saw your stone on IG today! You could get lost in those facets- love it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results