shape
carat
color
clarity

Idea: 'cage' necklace w/keshis

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
I have a bunch of little SS keshis in all colours (silver, white, platinum, champagne, golden, mixed etc.) that are just sitting in my jewelry box while I think about something to do with them (anyone know of someone who would do pave-style work with tiny keshis? if that's even possible?) and I am considering a cage-style pendant necklace filled with keshis (not stuffed full, I want them to move around a bit when moved). I randomly found this photo online just to give an idea of what I mean by 'cage' - but this specific piece, while illustrating the general idea, is far too clunky for me. I'd be looking to have something finer, more delicate, hopefully in white or rose gold. I am also considering 1-3 short chains (1-2 inches) hanging from the pendant with small gemstones (pink sapphire? aquamarine?) attached to them.

Am I describing this in a way that is helpful?

Has anyone ever seen something like this? Do you have opinions on the idea itself? Be honest, I want genuine thoughts and am not offended by someone not liking the same things I do.

PHOTO:

cagenecklace.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I did a search on pearl cage holders, and got a lot of listings on eBay. Most of them are designed to hold just one pearl, but I thought this one might hold two or three keshis. They said the pearls can be up to 7 mm. Cute idea.

Pearl Cage Holder.jpg

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Huh. Who knew 'pearl cage holders' existed? I think I'm going to have to get someone, possibly someone from Etsy, to make a leetle cage for me, out of more delicate materials than the photos in this thread. I know if I do this it will become the thing I fiddle with - I'm a fiddler - hair, jewels, buttons etc. I'll be giving it little shakes all the time. :)

Thank you for replying btw, Flygirl, I was sort of feeling insecure about this thread having no replies. "OMG! They all HATE it! You must run from the pearl forum in disgrace and never return!!" etc.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think it is slow on PS with the holiday coming up. People are probably traveling, cooking, and entertaining. DD is home from school but has a paper to write, and DH is sick, so I'm expecting a quiet holiday here.

I think a pearl cage holder will be a lot of fun for you. Just be sure the tiny pearls can't slip out of the cage. :naughty:

I'll be curious about the design you come up with. Keep us in the loop on this project. :appl:

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to see the design process as well. Really interesting project.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi WHB, :wavey:

Nobody hates anybody on here, we're just busy. :D

i'm actually not crazy about the cage idea. . . I think it will be hard to appreciate the pearls' beauty when they are in a container.

Are they drilled? Can you make a bracelet out of them? If they're not drilled, maybe you can send them to Sarah at Kojima Pearls and she can drill them and/or make a bracelet for you.

You can string them yourself with some little (2-5mm) white pearls from Pearlunar on ebay and bing! A bracelet. I will post a bracelet that I recently made when I get some time.

Or if you like, you can learn to knot them yourself! There is a video from a jewelry/craft supplier on Youtube, and my DD learned to knot her own pearls (I'll post pix soon) from the video.

But if you decide that you want a pearl cage, you might want to contact DanielM Jewelry on Etsy. I've used him, he's quick and efficient and will supply you with computer drawings before he does anything. He's also fairly inexpensive.

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Oooh yes, I forgot it was Thanksgiving for you Americans this weekend! Have a good one - I always feel smug eating turkey in October when all my US friends are jealous - then it's payback time in late Nov. :D

iLander - I get what you're saying about it possible 'hiding' the pearls - which is the main reason I'm looking to use a fine (and by fine I mean a lot more delicate than the photos here - thinner wire/metal) cage. I DO want the pearls to be appreciate-able. If it doesn't look possible to do this, I might shelve the project, but I'm still going full steam ahead. Thanks for the Etsy rec, that's very helpful, I was worried about having to spend hours on there finding someone. Also thanks for being honest in your opinions!!

Will keep this thread updated. Don't eat so much turkey you burst, Yanks!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
whitehotblank|1290698295|2779049 said:
Oooh yes, I forgot it was Thanksgiving for you Americans this weekend! Have a good one - I always feel smug eating turkey in October when all my US friends are jealous - then it's payback time in late Nov. :D

iLander - I get what you're saying about it possible 'hiding' the pearls - which is the main reason I'm looking to use a fine (and by fine I mean a lot more delicate than the photos here - thinner wire/metal) cage. I DO want the pearls to be appreciate-able. If it doesn't look possible to do this, I might shelve the project, but I'm still going full steam ahead. Thanks for the Etsy rec, that's very helpful, I was worried about having to spend hours on there finding someone. Also thanks for being honest in your opinions!!

Will keep this thread updated. Don't eat so much turkey you burst, Yanks!

My turkey is in the oven, but I only have a half hour until I have to start cleaning. . . :rolleyes:

If you are not set on the bird cage shape, maybe DanielM (he's reasonable, professional and I will use him again!) can design a round, disk shape pendant for you. Like 2 shallow bowls placed one right side up, one upside down on top of each other. Maybe with the wires making a sun shape or something? Just a thought. I would like to see a pendant that lets people know how precious the pearls inside it really are. . . :D

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask Sarah at kojimapearl.com. I saw a picture of a necklace she created of wire wrapped pearls on the other forum. The necklace was breathtakingly beautiful. Granted they were large south sea but they were wire wrapped. She might have ideas about how to artistically execute a cage for your pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results