shape
carat
color
clarity

I''d LOVE ideas for ring settings for my 10x8 sapphire please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
I''ll be celebrating my 10 year anniversary AND my 40th bday at the end of this year and my husband said it would be fine to get a new ring! He''s rather anti-diamond, being more than a little turned off by the whole "diamond rings are just a by product of a big marketing campaign" idea. Combined with the desire to buck the trend, my husband suggested a colored stone and we both love blue sapphires. After some searching we found this beautiful stone - it is lab created in order to better fit our budget but I love the color and the way it sparkles. I think it''s an octagonal cut - and I''m trying to figure out what kind of setting would look best. It''s 3.3 carats and measures about 10x8 and 5mm deep. It would be a left hand ring and I''m a size 5.5. I love the HW micropave, Tiffany Legacy look with the halo, but wonder if that might not be too big for my hand given the size of the stone. I would be wearing this every day so it needs to be user friendly (though I do take my rings off to do dishes and when I shower/wash my face/etc.) other than that I''m a day-in-day-out have a 3 and 6 year old. Any suggestions? THANK YOU!!!!!

sapphire 001.jpg

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
I MEANT to say that I am a stay-at-home mom to a 3 & 6 year old!

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Thanks SanDiego Lady (my sister lives in Del Mar Heights!) - I''ve lurked a while so I am familiar with Leon''s name but that''s about it. How does one get him to create a ring and how much can one expect to spend or is he someone (as an artist) who doesn''t like those type of questions to be asked? I love the micropave idea (and I hear he''s an expert in that) and I do have some small stones already from an inherited chevron necklace (smaller than the 1.5 pt that he says usually qualifies it for pave use) that I''d love to use but since it wouldn''t be enough would he match them or would we be responsible for that?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Your stone is an elongated cushion cut.

I'm not sure that Leon sets stones that aren't natural. I think his prices are in the $1.5 - 2k mark for plain solitaires and for settings with lots of pave I've seen plenty that are $5k plus.

(PS. You do know we're not allowed to discuss man-made gemstones here)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 5:31:51 PM
Author: Pandora II
Your stone is an elongated cushion cut.

I''m not sure that Leon sets stones that aren''t natural.

From his website: "We can work with any gemstone, natural, synthetic, simulant, old, new, any shape, any cut." The entire page is here.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ah ha, I stand corrected!

With the type of setting you want it might be worth having a look at settings that other''s on PS have and how they find them to look after.

Micropave can be quite delicate and need a decent amount of babying.

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Oops - Pandora - thank you. I didn''t read that or at least I might have when I signed up a couple months back and forgot! From all I have heard, Leon does great work. How hard would it be to find a ready made semi mount? Does anyone have a set sapphire or colored stone that they would like to share that is elongated cushion cut or emerald cut? I''d love to see it. Hand shots help SO much.

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kismet! I''m glad to know that. We spent less on the stone so that we could spend more on the setting for it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 7:57:59 PM
Author: belleetbonne
Oops - Pandora - thank you. I didn't read that or at least I might have when I signed up a couple months back and forgot! From all I have heard, Leon does great work. How hard would it be to find a ready made semi mount? Does anyone have a set sapphire or colored stone that they would like to share that is elongated cushion cut or emerald cut? I'd love to see it. Hand shots help SO much.
Hi, I have an elongated cushion cut (my avatar) - the setting is custom made to my design.

There are loads of photos here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-tsavorite-e-ring.75458/

I LOVE cushions, they are definitely my favourite cut.

Since your stone is calibrated, it sohould be relatively simple to find a stock setting for it. I'm hunting some down for a pendant and earrings - Stuller, Ingwer and others to find them. They're probably a good place to start!

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
I LOVE your ring Pandora - even my husband commented on how beautiful it was when he saw me (yet again) on Pricescope lurking :) Whatever I do, I plan on getting a pendant and earrings down the line for other celebrations. I see it as helping my husband find the perfect gift, nice wife that I am ;-)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color of your sapphire! My color change sapphire is a cushion cut and it is set in a parade setting.

cmsdrkblue024.jpg

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Oh MY! That''s BEAUTIFUL! Did you have your ring custom made to fit the stone? The color is gorgeous! The stone really pops
30.gif
I also love your "avatar" ring (is that the right word for the picture by your username?) is it a cushion cut yellow diamond?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it''s a beauty! Great color too.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone, and you''ll get some serious finger coverage with it. Since you''re planning to wear it everyday, I''d be more inclined to bezel set it so that it''s more protected. I like sapphires with halos, but I think it would be almost overwhelming on your hand that way. Have you considered setting it east-west, or sideways? I like this setting a lot (though I''d choose white gold instead:

f3081_small.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2008 12:09:29 AM
Oh MY! That''s BEAUTIFUL! Did you have your ring custom made to fit the stone? The color is gorgeous! The stone really pops
30.gif
I also love your ''avatar'' ring (is that the right word for the picture by your username?) is it a cushion cut yellow diamond?
Thanks! I picked out the stone separately and found this setting and was lucky enough to have it fit. YAY! My yellow diamond is actually a rounded corner radiant but it looks just like a cushion.

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Selkie - I hadn''t thought of that design but I do like the idea of a bezel set since it''s a little lower, though I wasn''t sure if that would decrease the light under the stone to help with the sparkle. I would imagine it would have to be a custom?

"Thank you for flying Church of England. Cake or death?" and of course, another favorite "He was a cheeky monkey..."

And Catmom - it''s really quite lovely - I''m sure the radiant cut makes it just sparkle like crazy. Any pics posted somewhere so I can see it better?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 12:27:08 PM
Selkie - I hadn''t thought of that design but I do like the idea of a bezel set since it''s a little lower, though I wasn''t sure if that would decrease the light under the stone to help with the sparkle. I would imagine it would have to be a custom?

''Thank you for flying Church of England. Cake or death?'' and of course, another favorite ''He was a cheeky monkey...''

And Catmom - it''s really quite lovely - I''m sure the radiant cut makes it just sparkle like crazy. Any pics posted somewhere so I can see it better?
Heh, I used to have "Cake or death?" as my sig.

It would most likely have to be custom, but a halo might as well. I think that it would be easy to find a stock prong setting, but anything that covers more of the stone will have to be fitted exactly to it. That particular setting is the "Saturday in Maine" ring from crossjewelers.com.

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Thanks Selkie - can a stock prong setting be made to bezel a stone?

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
So I found two different looks on The Natural Sapphire Company that look like it might work. Thoughts anyone? Oh, and does anyone think this stone could stand alone as a solitaire?

natsapcotypes.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally think it could stand alone. I''ve gone to the stores looking at blue stones for my ering and looked at ovals that are 10 x 8 and they kind of seemed to overwhelm my finger-plus with prongs they were really high. And BTW I''m just over a size 6. I think unless you like the finger coverage, and want it to be that big...10 x 8 is the biggest I''ll go for a stone, but I prefer about a 8 x 6. Of course, that''s just my taste. If you halo it it will end up being at least 10 x 12 and probably closer to 12 x 14.

I''d take a ruler and cut out a couple of pieces of paper for the various diameters and put it on your finger and see what you think. (I do this all the time and walk around with paper rings on my fingers. BF thinks I''m nuts!)

E B

Ideal_Rock
And another (this belongs to PSer kcoursolle, I believe, and I love it!):

kcoursolle Garnet

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 11:49:23 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I totally think it could stand alone. I''ve gone to the stores looking at blue stones for my ering and looked at ovals that are 10 x 8 and they kind of seemed to overwhelm my finger-plus with prongs they were really high. And BTW I''m just over a size 6. I think unless you like the finger coverage, and want it to be that big...10 x 8 is the biggest I''ll go for a stone, but I prefer about a 8 x 6. Of course, that''s just my taste. If you halo it it will end up being at least 10 x 12 and probably closer to 12 x 14.

I''d take a ruler and cut out a couple of pieces of paper for the various diameters and put it on your finger and see what you think. (I do this all the time and walk around with paper rings on my fingers. BF thinks I''m nuts!)

Well, if you''re nuts, I am too! I''m constantly pulling out the ruler and drawing & cutting out boxes.

Given my ring size, the added halo might make it too big. But durnit if I don''t just love the look of a halo! Of course I could always look for another stone and do the halo for a RHR...did I just say that?
2.gif

I''m really more for a simple classic look and yet I love the way the white of the diamonds provides such a lovely contrast for the stone, not to mention the extra bling.
9.gif
But I don''t want it to look like a cocktail ring. I guess with a small finger size I''m lucky so that I don''t have to buy as large a stone, right?!

EBree - Both are great ideas and I LOVE the double claw prong! The baguettes on the side are just beautiful. I would think it would be easier to find a semi-mount for that type of style, but where would I begin to look for one like that?

Anybody else got some solitaire ideas? Here''s a "hand shot" with the stone on it for the coverage aspect. I think you''re right about the halo making it too large. I''ll see if I can "photo shop" one in - though I don''t know if I''m that good!

stone on hand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results