shape
carat
color
clarity

I''d Like To Share My Rings -- NEED PHOTO ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I''d like to post pics of my e-ring and wedding band.

What is the best camera to use?
What is the best background color to use?
What is the best lighting, indoors or outdoors?

Thanks.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
As posted by Walnut Crunch ...

I haven't taken photos of a ring yet (that's because I'm still searching!) but I have taken close-ups of small objects with a digicam before. I can tell you how I would do it (it's by no means the only way); although all cameras are different so you'll have to read your manual for some of the features. I've checked the specs for the PDR-M65 and it looks like it's got many features so that's a good thing.

Here we go... Make sure your ring and the camera are both completely stationary (ring on table, camera on mini tripod or table), this is important because we're not going to use the flash (most point and shoot cameras' flash drowns out subjects in close range, and we want to control the lighting). Instead, position lighting (desk lamp, halogen spot light, etc.) so that the ring looks great thru the lens of the camera. The lens should be at wide angle (zoomed out) and positioned no less than about 4 inches from the ring. The ring will look small, but most point and shoot cameras can't focus any closer than this. You'll have to crop the picture later.

(Here's where you'll have to start using your camera's manual) Put your camera into Aperture Priority mode and choose the smallest aperture (puts more of the object in focus when the photo is taken). Choose the highest resolution (allows better cropped pictures later). Choose a low ISO (50 or 100). Turn on Macro Mode as well (usually a button, tells the camera that you want to focus on a close-up object). Turn off the flash. Turn on the 2-second timer (this will let you press and release the shutter button and let go of the camera, to eliminate camera shake that happens when there's no flash).

You can take the picture at this point, but I would manually adjust a couple more settings (if available). First of all, indoor lighting is usually orangy in colour. You'll want to choose a white balance setting on your camera to counteract that (the W/B setting is sometimes called Incandescent, and even better if you can set your own using a piece of paper). This will make the light look whiter and more natural. Also, if your camera has manual exposure setting, I'd set that too; but every camera is different and you can get by without it.

Now, you're ready to try taking the picture. Hold down the shutter button halfway, hopefully it'll indicate that focus as been achieved (green light or something). Go ahead and press it all the way and release (all the while keeping your fingers on your other hand crossed). You should have a picture in about 2 seconds. If it turns out, great. If not, keep trying. You'll want to crop out the ring in a photo editor.

You can try getting closer to the ring and start experimenting with other settings after you've got the hang of it. As I said, I don't have a ring yet, but this will be the first thing I try once I get it!

Good luck!

WC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results