shape
carat
color
clarity

ID Jewelry or David Class for Custom Setting

djamish

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I got quotes from both jewelers and trying to decide which one is better to get an e-ring made. I'm looking for a platinum double edge halo with a split shank. Both get great reviews on the site, so I'm just curious. Is one better than the other?

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I've never gone custom with IDJ but they knocked it out of the park with my e-ring and my studs (both daily wear items). You can check Pinto Bean's thread in Diamond Hangout for some recent custom work by them. I have a project in progress with David Klass and I found his pricing for custom work fair, but his pricing on melee quite high. I ended up sourcing certed 0.24 ct stones of the same quality for less than he was quoting, which to me was a bit of a turnoff.

Q

Queenie60

I can vouch for IDJ - Yekutiel is making a custom pendant for me and I am pleased with his customer service. Good luck, I'm sure that either vendor will serve you well. :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never worked with David Klass, so I can't speak to his services.

Besides my awesome experience with IDJ for the past 6+ years as a repeat customer, one benefit is that IDJ has access to all different kinds of benches so you don't have to worry about IDJ only being able to execute one style. IDJ knows which bench to tap for which style of setting, so you can use them for all kinds of projects.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Queenie60|1461253115|4022063 said:
I can vouch for IDJ - Yekutiel is making a custom pendant for me and I am pleased with his customer service. Good luck, I'm sure that either vendor will serve you well. :wavey:
Never worked w DK (good rep tho) but IDJ/Yekutiel rocked! It was massive $ (for my wallet) and he took care of me the entire way. I feel it was the best decision ever to work with IDJ. Yekutiel was heck (I may have tested his limits w my decision making) :)

Not to mention IDJ is priced well!! DK is $$??? Pricy?

Good luck!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, IDJ made a custom round 2ct, 5 diamond setting in plat. Bought center diamond loose from IDJ -then they created the setting per my requests. All online. All GIA. Really expert work! I believe prise wise cpuld not have done better AND excellent customer service. Hands down!

GL!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can recommend David Klass, I have made over 20 pieces with him, His pricing is phenomenal compared to other jewelers. I have not been disappointed with him. I have had him source OECs, traps, baguettes, and recently cadillac pairs for me. I have also had communications with ID jewelry but sadly no projects have come out of it.

Good luck with your choice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Queenie...question...Did you buy this stone from IDJ?

Just wondering because I wanted them to set an OEC for me and they didnt want to do it. (the OEC did not come from them)

Q

Queenie60

tyty333|1461676596|4023725 said:

Queenie...question...Did you buy this stone from IDJ?

Just wondering because I wanted them to set an OEC for me and they didnt want to do it. (the OEC did not come from them)

Hi Tyty333 - Yes, I purchased the stone from IDJ and he is setting it in a double milgrain bezel for me. Probably will not receive it until next week as it's Passover right now! I was going to purchase an OEC from another vendor and had Yekutiel take a look at the stone and he advised me against purchasing that stone for various reasons. At that point, I felt I did not know enough about OEC's to go that route at this time - I ended up with a round brilliant, H&A GIA stone. Yekutiel sourced the stone and is custom making the pendant for me. Hope you can find a vendor to do a setting for you. :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never worked with IDJ, but I had DK do the setting for my honey zircon asscher... He was super quick, very easy to work with, and was very reasonably priced. I could not have been happier with my ring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass' workmanship for the price is excellent, and by all accounts he's wonderful to work with.

However, his complete lack of professional regard for other jewellers' custom works and respect for other designers' intellectual property pains me: vendors with practices like his are a very large part of the reason artists are no longer comfortable with people posting process photos, CADs, etc. on this forum. He does beautiful work, but I disagree strongly with his business ethics and personally will neither work with him nor recommend him.

These two vendors are on opposite sides of the country - where do you live? What are your priorities for this project - workmanship? Price? Relationship with your jeweller? Location of jeweller?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results