shape
carat
color
clarity

ID jewelry eternity ring

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
Been given a reasonable quote for a 2.5 ct eternity band shared prong setting for my wife.

She currently has a small pave wedding band this will be replacing. Her main stone is large cushion cut solitaire on a 4 prong platinum band.

Is there anything I should be thinking about before I place the order? Is there any concerns with ID jewelry?

Really appreciate all the opinions on this forum.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
IDJ did my 3/4 eternity. It’s the only piece they’ve done for me and I’m a pretty indecisive person, but Jonna was great! Super patient and the band came out perfect!

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've had custom made bangles from IDJ. No issues whatsoever!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to make sure the sides of the eternity band (the diamonds) can not cut into her ering. Do you have any pictures of her ering? Does
it set high enough so the eternity wont cut into it?

Some people have to wear a solid metal separator band to hold the eternity band off the ering.

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
That is a concern. Idj said that setting would be fine with it.

current setup on my fingers

CF170AFE-39FB-4CDB-9FD6-A8D3CF3DB2F5.jpeg CF170AFE-39FB-4CDB-9FD6-A8D3CF3DB2F5.jpeg CB9DEC4B-B9BA-4135-84F8-C1A93564277F.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the clarity had to sneak the picture

also concerned about the full eternity, I know she loves the style but hard to change sizing

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
Bump for some help

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would ask for a sizing bar so that it can be resized a bit later if necessary. Also, wider bands fit more tightly than narrow bands, so you may want to size up a quarter size or more.

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
What is a sizing bar in an eternity ring?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming from your username you are a fellow Mustang? If so, pony up. Our teams haven't totally sucked this year.

re: eternity bands - the main thing to know is that fingers change sizes, and if you get a full eternity band, you won't be able to resize it so you'll have to get the stones re-set or buy another when the finger size inevitably changes. (Women's sizes can change during pregnancy, and sometimes never go back to the same size - but then hand sizes also change as people age, especially when they get older and some people start getting arthritis.) So some people prefer a 3/4 eternity or an eternity with the place where just one stone would go just metal instead because they can have that resized. But that's a personal choice based on aesthetic, sentimentality, projection of future finances, etc. Like if you know she will want THESE EXACT STONES in any future iteration of this ring, then you know that selling this one and buying a new one wouldn't be what you'd do, so you'd either have to pay to have a new setting made and the stones taken out of the old setting and put in the new one, or a sizing bar - but if you go with the sizing bar, of course you don't have diamonds quite all the way around, though they'll be most of the way. I'm more of a "diamonds all the way around and I'll deal with it when my finger size changes" person but other people sometimes prefer different things. But also my eternity band is not my everyday wedding ring and I don't have any sentimental attachment to it.

It looks from your pictures like the eternity band is well-matched with the solitaire ring and won't cut into the prongs, which is great. If an eternity band is too high, the edges of the diamonds can rub on the prongs and eventually cut into them, which could result in one of them failing and the center stone falling out, which would obviously not be ideal. It's always good to check for that. If it happens and you want the band anyway, she can wear a small plain band in between them to stop them from touching (like if you look at my avatar - I have an engraved band between my two diamond bands because they're each three-sided pave and would chip each other and cut into my prongs, but wearing the band in between them prevents that).

IDJewelry is well-liked by many PSers. Have you asked for "pricescope quality" diamonds (they know what that means)? The quote will be higher but the diamonds are higher quality. If you liked the exact band you saw though then there's no need.

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
Yes. We are good it’s been a fun year for smu

the picture is her original wedding band, it’s in bad shape as she beats it up pretty good. I know she would like an upgrade,and I know she will want a complete eternity band, but this makes it difficult to order as there are no changes.
I will think about a sizing bar, maybe if it’s small enough that’s the way to go?

L

lydial

Not everyone likes the look of larger rounds next to a cushion. You want to make sure the shapes work together. Just my 2 cents.

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
Does it make sense to go down in size a touch from2.5 to 2ct

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it make sense to go down in size a touch from2.5 to 2ct

What finger size is she?

The below is a 2-ct single-prong band that is size 4.5ish:

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
She is a about a 6 ring size. I think that looks proportional. E-ring is 3.21 ct solitare

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either 2-2.5 would work fine with a 3.2 ct solitaire. Probably mainly depends on what you want to spend - there’s not going to be a HUGE visual difference in them. It’s probably the difference between having 8-pointers and 10-pointers.

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
Been qted $3k for 2.5ct pricescope quality from IDJ. Wouldn't mind going a little cheaper since there are a couple other things she would like for xmas.

Pricing seems fair compared to blue nile or costco.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It never hurts to get the quote for 2 ct and ask for the width in millimeters of each. That way you’ll have an idea what sort of visible difference you’re paying for.

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
Will Do. You have been really helpful.

Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go half size up so if the finger gets larger with age she’s good. It won’t fall off because of the ering.

NickSMU17

Rough_Rock
2450 vs 2950
2 vs 2.5 ct. with price scope diamonds.

is the savings worth it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results