shape
carat
color
clarity

ID help with pearl ring

MTswirls

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to learn about this pearl ring. It belonged to my mother, but unfortunately I don't know anything about it and I'm not very familiar with pearls. I'm hoping to find out what type of pearl this is. I thought it might be a Tahitian pearl, but I don't know if the color is natural or not. It seems kind of large and it looks like it is only a half of a pearl. The ring is stamped "14K" on the inside. If anyone has any tips on identifying pearls I would really love to know. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me, I really appreciate it!

IMG_1368.jpeg IMG_1373.jpeg IMG_1375.jpeg IMG_1393.jpeg IMG_1356.jpeg IMG_1359.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lovely mabe pearl ring-- such an interesting setting!

Mabe (pronounced mah-bay) pearls are assembled rather than solid pearls. The mollusk lays down nacre over a dome shaped form that is glued to the inside of the shell. When the pearl is ready to be harvested, the dome shaped pearl is cut out of the shell. The shell and the dome shape insert are removed, leaving just the concave nacre, which is filled in and a mother-of-pearl disk placed over the back of it to finish it. I expect if you look at the inside of the ring you'll see mother of pearl on the back of the pearl. Sometimes the shell is not removed, and the pearl is called a blister pearl.

Various mollusks are used to make mabe pearls, including Pteria penguin (mostly used to culture mabe pearls), Pinctada maxima (south sea pearl oyster), Pteria sterna (sea of Cortez pearls), Pinctada margaritifera (Tahitian pearl oyster) ,and even paua abalone snails (see Eyris pearls).

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I suspect that isn't the original pearl in that setting. It looks a really bad fit

MTswirls

Rough_Rock
A lovely mabe pearl ring-- such an interesting setting!

Mabe (pronounced mah-bay) pearls are assembled rather than solid pearls. The mollusk lays down nacre over a dome shaped form that is glued to the inside of the shell. When the pearl is ready to be harvested, the dome shaped pearl is cut out of the shell. The shell and the dome shape insert are removed, leaving just the concave nacre, which is filled in and a mother-of-pearl disk placed over the back of it to finish it. I expect if you look at the inside of the ring you'll see mother of pearl on the back of the pearl. Sometimes the shell is not removed, and the pearl is called a blister pearl.

Various mollusks are used to make mabe pearls, including Pteria penguin (mostly used to culture mabe pearls), Pinctada maxima (south sea pearl oyster), Pteria sterna (sea of Cortez pearls), Pinctada margaritifera (Tahitian pearl oyster) ,and even paua abalone snails (see Eyris pearls).

Thank you so much for all of the info! The color on the back of the pearl is a very similar to the color of the front, just not as lustrous. So I don't think there is a mother of pearl disk attached, but I'm not sure if it is the shell I'm looking at. Only a small part of the back of the pearl is exposed so it's a little hard to see. So can I tell what mollusk was used to make this pearl just from the color? I was wondering if this would be considered a Tahitian Mabe pearl because of the color.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's Tahitian. I lean toward Pteria penguin, just because they are so common. As to the color, it might be natural, or not.

Here is my Tahitian mabe pendant, front and back, for comparison (that's MOP on the back):

mabe Tahitian pendant front.jpeg MOP back of Tahitian mabe pendant.jpg

MTswirls

Rough_Rock
I don't think it's Tahitian. I lean toward Pteria penguin, just because they are so common. As to the color, it might be natural, or not.

Here is my Tahitian mabe pendant, front and back, for comparison (that's MOP on the back):

mabe Tahitian pendant front.jpeg MOP back of Tahitian mabe pendant.jpg

Yes, I think pteria penguin seems like a good match. I can recognize the differences between the pearls now. There is definitely no mother of pearl on the back of the Mabe pearl I have. Your Tahitian pearl pendant is stunning! I can see it has a really nice luster. Thanks again for all of your help!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a website with photos of some dyed Pteria penguin mabe pearls...

MTswirls

Rough_Rock
Here's a website with photos of some dyed Pteria penguin mabe pearls...

Ok thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results