shape
carat
color
clarity

Icy white diamonds and yellow gold?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think the warm gold plays up the icy contrast or do you think it imparts a warmth on the stone? For DEF colors. Thanks

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 stone set in 18K yellow gold originally the stones are E-F and it did make my stones look "warmer" so much so that I finally had my jeweler make a new "top" setting in 14K white gold to put my stones in and to me it made a big difference I like mine better in the white gold

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Do you think the warm gold plays up the icy contrast or do you think it imparts a warmth on the stone? For DEF colors. Thanks
(I started this hours ago and the phone rang before I hit send. I am obviously of a different opinion than @diamondringlover. One of the things I love about jewelry is the fact of neither of us being wrong, just of different opinions.)

I am an absolute lover of yellow gold. When I joined the jewelry profession, it was exceedingly rare to sell white gold or platinum.

I sold mostly D-E-F colored diamonds back then, as the cutting was not like it is today where color is much less of an issue to the face up appearance of the diamond.

In my opinion, 14kt yellow with D-F colors is great.
In my opinion, 18kt yellow with D-F colors is even better.
In my opinion, 22kt yellow with D-F colors is incredible.

This is my answer to your specific question. You will not see color imparted into a D-E-F colored diamond with prongs, either in four or six. I do not think you would see color with a half bezel setting, but I do not have one here to look at. DEPENDING ON THE CUTTING OF YOUR DIAMOND, you could see yellow in your diamond and diminished sparkle with a full bezel.

If you take my comments about 14kt, 18kt, and 22kt yellow and apply it to all colors, especially lower colors, the lower the color the higher it will appear in yellow gold. The yellower it is, the better. I personally wear a cut to order P color in a half bezel 22kt ring that was supposed to finish a Q. I have shown it to many people, professionals and aficionados, and none of them have ever guessed lower than I-J on the first guess.

I love yellow gold with diamonds, the contrast always makes them look whiter to my eyes. As I said above, my eyes may be different than your eyes.

Wink

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Wink! Appreciate your detailed response based on all your years of experience! I’m just loving yellow gold these days.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
My 5 stone set in 18K yellow gold originally the stones are E-F and it did make my stones look "warmer" so much so that I finally had my jeweler make a new "top" setting in 14K white gold to put my stones in and to me it made a big difference I like mine better in the white gold
Thank you! This is what I’m afraid of. That’s a great idea, best of both worlds

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
(I started this hours ago and the phone rang before I hit send. I am obviously of a different opinion than @diamondringlover. One of the things I love about jewelry is the fact of neither of us being wrong, just of different opinions.)

I am an absolute lover of yellow gold. When I joined the jewelry profession, it was exceedingly rare to sell white gold or platinum.

I sold mostly D-E-F colored diamonds back then, as the cutting was not like it is today where color is much less of an issue to the face up appearance of the diamond.

In my opinion, 14kt yellow with D-F colors is great.
In my opinion, 18kt yellow with D-F colors is even better.
In my opinion, 22kt yellow with D-F colors is incredible.

This is my answer to your specific question. You will not see color imparted into a D-E-F colored diamond with prongs, either in four or six. I do not think you would see color with a half bezel setting, but I do not have one here to look at. DEPENDING ON THE CUTTING OF YOUR DIAMOND, you could see yellow in your diamond and diminished sparkle with a full bezel.

If you take my comments about 14kt, 18kt, and 22kt yellow and apply it to all colors, especially lower colors, the lower the color the higher it will appear in yellow gold. The yellower it is, the better. I personally wear a cut to order P color in a half bezel 22kt ring that was supposed to finish a Q. I have shown it to many people, professionals and aficionados, and none of them have ever guessed lower than I-J on the first guess.

I love yellow gold with diamonds, the contrast always makes them look whiter to my eyes. As I said above, my eyes may be different than your eyes.

Wink

Wink, I would love to see a picture of the ring. I love 22k gold and have it in everything except stone rings. I was always told that it is too soft to have a diamond set in it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original engagement ring had an F color diamond set in a yellow gold ring, but the head/prongs were white gold. My diamond stood out as very white and I got many compliments on it. I would always set white diamonds in a white metal head, but there is absolutely no reason to avoid yellow gold for the rest of the ring!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that even if the diamonds are set directly in yellow gold, and even if it does make their visual color appear a bit tinted... they still are going to contrast very beautifully and strongly against the yellow gold. After all, if you went lower in color, you'd have the tint from the natural body color of the diamond as well as the apparent color of reflections of the yellow gold. So IMO if you like the contrast between white diamond and yellow gold, and want a DEF color, then do it and don't worry about it.

Personally I don't like the head being a different color than the shank, and if you have a well cut diamond, I don't think it makes enough of a difference to the color to take the aesthetic hit of a two-tone setting.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the cut.

My E-color OEC was set in YG before I bought it - now it is in platinum. I think the contrast with YG was gorgeous, I just knew I wanted it set in plat.

It's the 1.3 stone on the right in the video - the other stone on the left is a J.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDRpjbnBz0f/?utm_medium=copy_link

Here it is now set in platinum!

1622083945321.png

But to compare - I **think** these pears were F-color - to me they pick up the yellow a lot more than my OEC did

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGsxH7ABWfH/?utm_medium=copy_link

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the contrast of yellow gold with colorless diamonds. The ring in my avatar has a F ACA and it always looks very white to me.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the cut.

My E-color OEC was set in YG before I bought it - now it is in platinum. I think the contrast with YG was gorgeous, I just knew I wanted it set in plat.

It's the 1.3 stone on the right in the video - the other stone on the left is a J.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDRpjbnBz0f/?utm_medium=copy_link

Here it is now set in platinum!

1622083945321.png

But to compare - I **think** these pears were F-color - to me they pick up the yellow a lot more than my OEC did

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGsxH7ABWfH/?utm_medium=copy_link
Oooo icy! I love the faceting on the center stone!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wink, I would love to see a picture of the ring. I love 22k gold and have it in everything except stone rings. I was always told that it is too soft to have a diamond set in it.

I will disagree with the too soft comment, since I have worn my 22kt ring nearly daily for almost four years now. If I had set the ring with 22kt prongs, I should have lost it long ago with the abuse I inadvertently shell out just walking around. I set it in a nice thick semi bezel. The entire ring is frequently repolished as I like it to shine, and I suspect I will still be wearing it when I am an old man in my dotage. I had it made to last, and it has at least thirty years of life left in it, longer if I quit polishing it all the time... ;)2

As for posting a picture, it would be inappropriate for me to do so as a vendor.

Wink

P.S. My thanks to @diamondseeker2006 for reminding me that when I was selling those diamonds in varying colors of yellow back in ancient times, I always recommended my clients to set them in white gold or platinum prongs as they are safer than yellow gold prongs. For those that wanted yellow prongs, we only used 14kt yellow.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sigh, a mind is such a horrible thing to lose. My ring is actually 18kt. Somehow, I have been thinking of it as 22kt, but it is not. My apologies to all.

I do love 22kt and I have had other rings in 22kt, this one I am speaking of is just not one of them.

Wink

@dhimer I’m not a jeweler but I think bezel setting could work for 22kt gold. All indian jewelry for example is traditionally made in 22kt (or higher!) and with a version of bezel setting and it does involve setting gemstones. I mean technically it’s not a bezel, they embed gemstones in a frame of gold, but that seems pretty similar to bezels to me.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
allmine531111.JPG DB75A468-48AA-41B8-9197-9FD91938CF55.jpeg

my pictures are junk so not sure if you can tell the difference or not, the top one is the original setting the bottom is the newer one...what I really noticed is how in the white gold it really showed how much color my I colored princess has in it and I guess its possible that I noticed the difference because of the org setting was the bar setting and it had alot of 18K yellow gold around it

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will disagree with the too soft comment, since I have worn my 22kt ring nearly daily for almost four years now. If I had set the ring with 22kt prongs, I should have lost it long ago with the abuse I inadvertently shell out just walking around. I set it in a nice thick semi bezel. The entire ring is frequently repolished as I like it to shine, and I suspect I will still be wearing it when I am an old man in my dotage. I had it made to last, and it has at least thirty years of life left in it, longer if I quit polishing it all the time... ;)2

As for posting a picture, it would be inappropriate for me to do so as a vendor.

Wink

P.S. My thanks to @diamondseeker2006 for reminding me that when I was selling those diamonds in varying colors of yellow back in ancient times, I always recommended my clients to set them in white gold or platinum prongs as they are safer than yellow gold prongs. For those that wanted yellow prongs, we only used 14kt yellow.

I thought vendors were allowed to post pictures of their personal not-for-sale jewelry?

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I am a big fan of the contrast with yellow gold. Especially in higher colors.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
My photos are terrible and I’m admittedly not overly color sensitive but I think that yellow gold makes white diamonds really pop.

My 18k yg 5 stone bezel ring with F/G diamonds.

4D9FD8DC-16A1-4B9A-8319-48BF506527AF.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought vendors were allowed to post pictures of their personal not-for-sale jewelry?

As far as I know, they cant post their personal jewelry or stuff for sale (to avoid any perception of advertising their brand, etc).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always worn yellow gold and I prefer yg prongs because I love the contrast of the white diamond against the yellow. I think it makes the diamond stand out.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds function like a little box comprised of many tiny mirrors and windows.
The mirrors reflect the color of your shirt, hair, walls, the blue of the sky, etc.
Where it "leaks" it's like a little window you see right through.

No diamond has zero leakage.
So it's reasonable to expect you'd see a little of the color of a gold ring or basket under the diamond.
But the warm gold color won't be everywhere, as would warmth from diamond body color, only in those tiny leakage windows.

I think I've heard of that kind of leakage called "contrast" leakage, apparently a good thing.

Last edited:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
You may be right, I will have to check.

It is a moot point now, with CFlutist having posted a link. Thank you CFlutist.

Wink

Sorry folks, this isn’t true. We have occasionally allowed it in specific threads, but unfortunately what is a vendor’s own item and what is for sale is often fluid and as a result we have had problems in the past. So we do not allow it for this reason, as it’s a back door way to self promote for some folks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results