carat
color
clarity

Icy’s CS adventures

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eye candy time!

7A6E0AA9-68C6-47FF-B4DD-114FC8ECC1E3.jpeg 1F32C36D-62A2-4934-872A-A8F234474B92.jpeg 78638707-196A-442E-9EA8-A08E92363C05.jpeg 6F14FF91-5B7B-4DA5-BA44-C1C2902D35F0.jpeg 8A7870EE-9BED-4E18-BCA9-15548D0C9A37.jpeg

Oh my goodness - what luscious gems :kiss2: I may have to pick your brain in a bit - looking for an icy jade ring to add to collection and I don't know where to start!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness - what luscious gems :kiss2: I may have to pick your brain in a bit - looking for an icy jade ring to add to collection and I don't know where to start!

Where are you located? What color are you looking for? My regular jeweller in Singapore has a few now:

I also used to buy from KathyJade but their quality has dipped a bit for the new stuff imo. Can wait for sale to buy.

@mellowyellowgirl buys from China sellers and she can probably rec some.

This is always the first thread I open, especially when I see @icy_jade has posted. @icy_jade: you never disappoint! You always make my eyes happy.
Awwww thank you! Glad you enjoy them too. I had such a hard time prying the big green cab ring off my finger after taking so many pics lol.

All are lovely - but what can you tell us about the loose lavender cab?
:love:

It‘s an unheated pink star sapphire. Hopefully. Currently waiting to be certed and mine if all goes well. Faint star but super crystal body. Placed it in a setting to imagine how it looks when set. B01548FE-9605-44CD-8173-77F7ABB6F18C.jpeg

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Wasn’t planning to post but thought of you

New 7.9 ct zircon and jadeite saddle in temp silver setting, in the sun.
IMG_4204.jpeg

So in love with the jade saddle!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasn’t planning to post but thought of you

New 7.9 ct zircon and jadeite saddle in temp silver setting, in the sun.
IMG_4204.jpeg

Happy eyes! And that blue!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So in love with the jade saddle!!
Thanks! Irl the cab is nicer, fresher looking but jadeite generally photographs well. Difference between cab and saddle is not apparent even for the pics taken in the store and shaded natural light and that‘s why I always prefer to shop in person as photos can be so deceptive.

In store:
IMG_4208.jpeg

In shade:
IMG_4206.jpeg

Happy eyes! And that blue!
Thank you!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Where are you located? What color are you looking for? My regular jeweller in Singapore has a few now:

I also used to buy from KathyJade but their quality has dipped a bit for the new stuff imo. Can wait for sale to buy.

@mellowyellowgirl buys from China sellers and she can probably rec some.

Thanks so much for the guidance, @icy_jade !! I really like this ring. It has the white/icy jade I am looking for, as well as some green pop of color.
Jade Ring.jpg

I am in the USA, so hopefully that's not an issue with getting the rings shipped. I may be going to Asia later this year, so may send some items for scrutiny to the group!!

I LOVE that jade saddle ring you have, such a luscious green :kiss2:

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade I hope you don’t mind me adding photos here. I am looking at these two rings. Leaning towards the thinner band/more delicate ring. Are they good quality?
4D83696E-4977-4184-9F61-4D82AC407AB5.jpeg
FDF7F902-4A84-48CC-9368-1892C33CC2A9.jpeg
0E11A009-048D-4AC9-AA00-28D46A40BA6F.jpeg
D911D5F4-6707-45A4-8FA1-9CCAFC329870.jpeg

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Eli22 I kinda prefer the bigger one as it looks like the glow is better? It looks clearer as well. In the pic where u have them both, the bigger cab stands out more to me.

Thank you @icy_jade !! I thought I saw a difference, but wanted to make sure! Now for the pricing, small one is approx $1700 and large one is $4100. Is that decent pricing for Asia? The store is JADEGIA.

33F0D389-4C15-41F1-B49E-018A3256EEAC.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @icy_jade !! I thought I saw a difference, but wanted to make sure! Now for the pricing, small one is approx $1700 and large one is $4100. Is that decent pricing for Asia? The store is JADEGIA.

33F0D389-4C15-41F1-B49E-018A3256EEAC.jpeg

Expensive

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Expensive

Ok…is there a $$$ range I should look for when looking at rings of this design/quality? Planning to visit a few more jewelry stores today. I don’t trust my ability to determine good stones to go to the jade market. Or maybe I should just buy from Wriston and FedEx? I want a souvenir, but not an overpriced one!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok…is there a $$$ range I should look for when looking at rings of this design/quality? Planning to visit a few more jewelry stores today. I don’t trust my ability to determine good stones to go to the jade market. Or maybe I should just buy from Wriston and FedEx? I want a souvenir, but not an overpriced one!

Hmm… you can have a look at Kathyjade for a quick price comparison:

if the link works it should bring you to cab rings. Remember that prices for Kathy can be another 20% off during annual sales.

It‘s hard to estimate prices accurately cos a bit more or less translucency or some inclusions may change the price quite a bit, not to mention the color, etc. But if you can find something cheaper/nicer on Kathy, then don’t bother with the jadegia one. Mind you, those who buy from China probably find Kathy expensive

@mellowyellowgirl for inputs too

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmm… you can have a look at Kathyjade for a quick price comparison:

if the link works it should bring you to cab rings. Remember that prices for Kathy can be another 20% off during annual sales.

It‘s hard to estimate prices accurately cos a bit more or less translucency or some inclusions may change the price quite a bit, not to mention the color, etc. But if you can find something cheaper/nicer on Kathy, then don’t bother with the jadegia one. Mind you, those who buy from China probably find Kathy expensive

@mellowyellowgirl for inputs too

Thank you so much! The link worked- the pricing at Kathy is much more reasonable! Did not find anything I like yet, but good to have price comparison. I saw some pieces yesterday that looked good, but again not very confident in my ability to choose. Thank you for the guidance! 5B3AD67D-538B-4B35-8DF1-A376224E8D12.jpeg E35C8504-B459-47EE-AF3B-9BAB15C74898.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I want a souvenir, but not an overpriced one!

No matter what, only get it if it makes your heart sing. If it does, you will probably continue to derive joy from it long after you forget the price paid.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No matter what, only get it if it makes your heart sing. If it does, you will probably continue to derive joy from it long after you forget the price paid.

Very, very true. Thank you!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade I hope you don’t mind me adding photos here. I am looking at these two rings. Leaning towards the thinner band/more delicate ring. Are they good quality?
4D83696E-4977-4184-9F61-4D82AC407AB5.jpeg
FDF7F902-4A84-48CC-9368-1892C33CC2A9.jpeg
0E11A009-048D-4AC9-AA00-28D46A40BA6F.jpeg
D911D5F4-6707-45A4-8FA1-9CCAFC329870.jpeg

I know you are still looking, but I also like the larger ring. I like the proportions of the center stone with the side "rails". And I like how it looks on your hand. I hope you have luck finding something,

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know you are still looking, but I also like the larger ring. I like the proportions of the center stone with the side "rails". And I like how it looks on your hand. I hope you have luck finding something,

Thanks much, @momofive ! The search is still on, but I have that ring in my inspo folder ::)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My regular jeweller was back from his HK shopping trip recently and for various reasons I didn’t get anything this time but some eye candies anyway. Posting now that his regulars had the chance to look at them the past week.

IMG_6415.jpeg

was smitten by the ruby ring at first sight but I already have a few ruby rings so didn’t get…
IMG_6420.jpeg IMG_6421.jpeg

burmese unheated sapphires
IMG_6422.jpeg

really tempted by these! But they sat oddly on my ears.
IMG_6437.jpeg

and I love this jadeite ring so just posting heh.
IMG_6442.jpeg

Set of pigeon blood rubies, Crystal body. red irl, but orangey looking in my pics cos phone cam and I’m lazy to color correct.
IMG_6687.jpeg

cluster earrings - pretty huh
IMG_6686.jpeg

also collected my giant 30 ct topaz from him. Was a bit stunned by the size as I somehow thought it will be smaller (bought via photos)
3a0792ad-f96c-4071-9296-ec80ca18c2ee.jpeg
ee4b3aff-c0b5-4e42-8311-ea766fe34042.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg what are the measurements of that Topaz Icy???

Hehe definitely can see from far away!!!!! I love Wriston's "can you see it from a distance?" things. They are words I try to abide by these days for gems.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg what are the measurements of that Topaz Icy???

Hehe definitely can see from far away!!!!! I love Wriston's "can you see it from a distance?" things. They are words I try to abide by these days for gems.

I used a ruler and approx 22 x15.5mm. Like it definitely looked smaller on his hands when I saw the pics he sent over (and I keep forgetting his size 22 fingers)…

IMG_6728.jpeg

With some other rings for scale
IMG_6729.jpeg

If I ever set it, will be a pendant/brooch for sure. Can’t imagine it as a ring. Too big even for me.

Poor Wriston is always hearing his clients (like me) moan “too small”. But then we faint at current market prices too. Sigh.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Picked my up 2.36 ct Burmese purplish red ruby (9.2 x 6.8 so big facing for its size) in its new dress and it made me wonder at the criteria for rubies vs sapphires.

It’s certified as ruby by GIA but honestly it looks like a bit like a sapphire to me especially under the sun when the fluorescence makes it look really pink. Asked and my jeweller said it is considered a ruby and that “Burmese rubies are like that”. Didn’t get the ruby from my jeweller so he has no reason to lie to me. Still…

IMG_7276.jpeg
Under the sun
IMG_7290.jpeg

You see what I mean right.

Anyway some group shots in various lighting with my other rubies. Two are vivid red, one red and then the new purplish-red one.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last group pic it is quite red Icy but next to the traps ruby in the sun, yes it's very pink by comparison. Your traps ruby is such a pure red!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
In the last group pic it is quite red Icy but next to the traps ruby in the sun, yes it's very pink by comparison. Your traps ruby is such a pure red!

Oh actually the Tanzanian is the most red red. The cushion has a tinge of purple that is sometimes visible in photos. Irl I see usually just see red but then the tinge shows up in photos.

Checked under the UV light and the rubies with strongest fluorescence looks the most pink in the day. Food for thought cos I know people usually advocate for strong fluoro in rubies but thought to highlight that strong fluoro can also mean pinkish tone in sunlight.

This pic is taken indoors next to the window and even under indirect sunlight you can see the effect on the two rubies with strong fluoro - both looking quite pink. Comparatively the other two are more red red. It’s quite interesting cos they all look a bit different in different lighting.

IMG_4193.jpeg

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Picked my up 2.36 ct Burmese purplish red ruby (9.2 x 6.8 so big facing for its size) in its new dress and it made me wonder at the criteria for rubies vs sapphires.

It’s certified as ruby by GIA but honestly it looks like a bit like a sapphire to me especially under the sun when the fluorescence makes it look really pink. Asked and my jeweller said it is considered a ruby and that “Burmese rubies are like that”. Didn’t get the ruby from my jeweller so he has no reason to lie to me. Still…

Yeah, this has often puzzled me. I've seen any number of books and websites that say that rubies should be straight red, then show an illustration of a distinctly purple stone. What gives...?

To be sure, the question is academic for me, because any ruby I'd want would be beyond my budget. But it's still puzzling.

Your collection is fabulous!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, this has often puzzled me. I've seen any number of books and websites that say that rubies should be straight red, then show an illustration of a distinctly purple stone. What gives...?

To be sure, the question is academic for me, because any ruby I'd want would be beyond my budget. But it's still puzzling.

Your collection is fabulous!

From what I understand if a corundum has a predominantly red hue, it qualifies as a ruby. But it seems fairly subjective. Went back to read a few articles and they all seem to agree that there is no clear cut line. Like when is a pinkish-red ruby a reddish-pink sapphire instead?

Thank you, I’ve been lucky to be able to see and buy most of my rubies in person. Still, it’s been quite a learning experience/process.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade what are your thoughts on the quality of her jade collection, was the necklace as beautiful as Barbara Hutton’s famous imperial jade necklace?

I saw the Hutton necklace recently and I was rather unimpressed. Not sure if it was the museum lighting. From that perspective I prefer HH’s collection.

=====

@mellowyellowgirl
Will take a break from all the PS drama but will probably post some eye candies on my IG. In case you are interested can keep an eye out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results