shape
carat
color
clarity

iceland jewellery

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
PS is such a big community, but we never know how big it is~ Going to visit Iceland in coming year, it seems to be such a beautiful yet mysterious nation, curious anyone knows anything about Jewellery and art in Iceland, or even based in Iceland?

Hope there'll be at least one or two replies~

Reactions: AV_

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i went a couple of years ago and all i remember is the lava rock jewelry ...it's a beautiful place!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a buddy just get back about a few weeks ago. It was on his bucket list. Found cheap round trip tickets for $400 or so. =)2

Him and his wife did a bunch of hiking adventures. They aren't jewelry people, and he didn't mention art to me but I didn't ask either. I will see if he has any additional input I can share with you.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Filigree jewelry has a long history in Iceland and is still much in evidence in their pieces now. The lava jewelry is based on the volcanic activity in the country and is beautiful. My mother is Icelandic and I visited the country a couple of years ago with my whole family. We bought my daughter a bracelet for her 21st that she celebrated up there. It had a central piece with "scratches" of reindeer tracks symbolizing the tracks we leave as we go through life in an uneven line.

My niece was in Iceland recently. She was in raptures over the jewelry, particularly over a shop called Frida.

Jóhannes Sveinsson Kjarval is Iceland's most famous artist. We have a couple of his more simple artworks dating from my mother's time. You can google his work. Many of my relatives up there have lovely original artworks on their walls. I think those long cold winters must leave you wanting to look at something lovely on your walls.

The wool products in Iceland are lovely. The Icelandic Knitting Association shop is worth a look if you are into such things.

The scenery in Iceland is really why you're there. Everywhere you look you see something amazing. The Iceland ponies are lovely and are particular only to Iceland.

The country is expensive to visit as so much has to be imported. My nieces managed to find a place in Reykjavik that was reasonably priced for food. Worth googling to find cheaper restaurants for food. We went to a lovely pancake place, with a choice of fillings which everyone enjoyed. I like the dried fish you can buy up there. Halfiskur, that comes in a range of quality, the finer textured one is yum.

Enjoy your trip.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes the wool! I bought a few blankets and scarves, they made fantastic gifts. :mrgreen2:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much guys! So glad to hear from you all~In fact we are already quite excited and looking forward to this trip though not a very long one. We are planning on it and we looked at some pictures there and the scenes are out of this world. My wife told me she just can't focus on work with 2 very important and promising trips ahead, Maldives next month for our anniversary which I am passing her the "gift" that I am working on it with BGD, and this Iceland journey next year^^

I have an impression that Iceland is a place with rooms for creativities, that's why I enquired for their jewel aspect. And I had a habit looking at the local accessories and hand crafted stuffs at the place I visited, although not buying one every single time~It doesn't have to be expensive or high end, and one of them we love very much is a luminous shell pendant we get from Okinawa where I proposed marriage to her~

Memories are always full of happiness, and we enjoy to create more!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy for you guys @Double E!

Jewelry aside, Iceland was a dream trip for both my buddy and his wife. Not many realize the beauty in that country and despite the name, it's actually quite green. As opposed to Greenland, which is the opposite and icy.

Word of general advice, don't be the goofy tourists with the puffy winter gear, lol. Dress in layers and buy some gear so you look more like a local. My buddy did this and most would talk in their native toungue to him. One local got mad when he realized my buddy was American and let him go on talking otherwise, lol.

His wife on the other hand....:lol-2:

a_christmas_story.jpg

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Filigree jewelry has a long history in Iceland and is still much in evidence in their pieces now. The lava jewelry is based on the volcanic activity in the country and is beautiful. My mother is Icelandic and I visited the country a couple of years ago with my whole family. We bought my daughter a bracelet for her 21st that she celebrated up there. It had a central piece with "scratches" of reindeer tracks symbolizing the tracks we leave as we go through life in an uneven line.

My niece was in Iceland recently. She was in raptures over the jewelry, particularly over a shop called Frida.

Jóhannes Sveinsson Kjarval is Iceland's most famous artist. We have a couple of his more simple artworks dating from my mother's time. You can google his work. Many of my relatives up there have lovely original artworks on their walls. I think those long cold winters must leave you wanting to look at something lovely on your walls.

The wool products in Iceland are lovely. The Icelandic Knitting Association shop is worth a look if you are into such things.

The scenery in Iceland is really why you're there. Everywhere you look you see something amazing. The Iceland ponies are lovely and are particular only to Iceland.

The country is expensive to visit as so much has to be imported. My nieces managed to find a place in Reykjavik that was reasonably priced for food. Worth googling to find cheaper restaurants for food. We went to a lovely pancake place, with a choice of fillings which everyone enjoyed. I like the dried fish you can buy up there. Halfiskur, that comes in a range of quality, the finer textured one is yum.

Enjoy your trip.
I googled the shop Frida, it's at the heart of Reykjavik. I think we will surely visit it when we are there~=)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a wonderful time! iceland is on my bucket list, so I’ll be looking forward to the reports of your trip.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We went over the summer. Frida was lovely. We also went to Orrifin - not the usual PS style, but organic and interesting.

We got a hotel with a kitchenette and a shared laundry room, and that made the trip much easier and much less expensive. Because the grocery was all European, it was fun to cook things we don’t see here in the US.

My kids love to swim and we especially enjoyed going out to Seljavallalaug and the city pools. My kids quickly adapted to going down the water slides in the chilly air with all of the local kids while my husband and I lazed in the warm water with the parents. It was a fantastic trip and I hope yours is, too.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just got home from a trip to Iceland!

It’s a beautiful harsh country. The land of fire and ice indeed!! Since it was autumn when I went, we got a mix of everything. We went glacier hiking, saw plenty of ice in the glacier lagoon, on diamond beach... but also fall colours in the lowlands. We also went whale watching and fishing on the boat. And saw the northern lights. It was amazing.

I visited Frida while I was there. The designs were very pretty and intricate, and I came close to purchasing a small pendant which was inspired by the wood carving patterns they used to decorate their houses with (but in gold). Do note that for most jewellery stores, the chains that come with pendants are gold plated only.

I opted for a pendant made of a small piece of lava rock with gold threads running over it instead. It’s probably a bit touristy and cliche, but it reminded me more of Iceland. The gold pops against the black rock, and reminds me of lava running over it.

It was a seriously long way to travel for me (from australia) but well worth it. It IS a very expensive country to visit... but you can find ways to reduce cost (like making your own tea/coffee etc!)

And remember to try their geyserbread! It’s cooked in the ground! Seafood (fish- usually cod) is surprisingly affordable and ridiculously fresh. Their biggest industry is the fishing industry afterall.

Whenever you decide to go... bring weather resistant gear. Wind breakers were a must. The country is so windy they don’t even have mosquitos!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results