shape
carat
color
clarity

I would love hand forged setting but out of my budget :(

dri0817

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I just got our diamond from JA, round 3.16ct, H VS1, and we are now searching for the perfect setting. After reading many posts here, I was pretty sure I would get my diamond set with VC, but today I received his quotes and they are way out of my budget of $2.5k. The setting that I really want is a platinum, very thin band with pave 3/4 way, 4 single eagle claw prongs, a straight basket with pave.This is essentially what I want, except the pave on the prongs: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/pave-four-prong-solitaire

I have also reached out to Maytal and SK to get quotes, SK is pricier than VC, and I am pending a response from Maytal. I would love to get some additional suggestions as to where I can get my hand forged that would be within my budget, and if not, then where can I get a CAD/mold setting that is high quality? I do live in NYC, so any suggestions in NYC would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Hand-forged platinum settings (plain, without pave) are running around 2-2.5k , so unfortunately I do not think that hand-forged is possible in your budget.

BE (Brilliantly Engaged)
IDJ has made beautiful rings within budgets
David Klass in LA probably is within budget.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
Alistair Kelsey was recommended to me by Acinom and arkieb1 in another thread. He does hand-forged work and is based in Australia (conveniently close to me, but from an exchange rate perspective perhaps conveniently located for you too!). It might be worth sending him a note, he has been very responsive so far.

http://alistairkelsey.portfoliobox.me/

Cheers,
SC

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stick with NYC jewelers so you don't have to ship your diamond somewhere and increase the expense. I'd honestly bite the bullet and get SK to make it. You have invested in an expensive diamond, and I just wouldn't compromise on the setting. An extra thousand isn't that much in the overall scheme of things considering the value of your diamond.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh dear.

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could set it in a simple Wg solitaire and enjoy the beauty of the stone for now, and on your one year or two year anniversary, or as a wedding gift, reset it into your dream hand forged setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to IDJ, they have a very good CAD bench and their prong work is great. They also have a handforged bench too. So they could give a quote for your setting from both benches and you can see the work in person, and make a decision then.

I think you'll be really happy with their work. AND they are local to you. So go in person, tell them PS sent you. You can mention me if you want, they know Pinto Bean well too. They'll take good care of you.

I would just caution you on the design you want. Having pave on the donut of a solitiare like that means you can't have a flush fit band. Actually even without the pave that big donut means no flush fit band. So just make sure you are positive on the design before you commit.

:wavey:

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Does IDJ set stones purchased elsewhere? For some reason I am under the impression that they don't. But do check it out to be sure - they are AWESOME. I have a pair of studs from IDJ that makes the setting of my previous Tiffany pair seem like they were made by someone with 10 thumbs...

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have used almost every single vendor listed in this thread. Honestly with your budget (which is actually a great budget!!!!) I would go with ERD. They can give you what they want, our located in NYC and their settings are fabulous (hand forged, CAD/ CAST etc). I have had VC, SK and LM rings and I wouldn't hesitate to get an ERD CAD ring at all. Go to their store and take a look around- I think that is an excellent option for you. I agree with DS about not shipping your diamond. It is a PITA!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with SB that ERD (now called Brilliantly Engaged) is probably your best option if you can't do SK and don't want to wait to get a SK setting. And, as Gypsy said, don't do pave on the doughnut if you want to wear a wedding band at all. It doesn't matter whether it is flushfit or not, diamonds on the doughnut are going to really scratch up the wedding band. I'd just have pave on the top of the shank.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of other choices, go with Brilliantly Engaged, or email Victor and ask what he can make (what sorts of settings) are in your budget range and if there is something else that is close pick another one.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I would recommend Thomas Organ on etsy. I have some of his workmanship and he comes very, very highly recommended. He is well known to my area. At least do yourself a favor and get a quote from him. You'll find he is reasonably priced for heirloom quality work. I have a bead set 1.9mm platinum diamond band from him and absolutely love its delicacy.

tom [!at] thomasojewelrydesigns.com

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please don't let anyone here make you feel like you have to spend $5,000 on a setting because you "invested" in a larger stone. Brilliantly Engaged does wonderful HW style cast halos and should be in your budget.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1472836006|4072611 said:
Please don't let anyone here make you feel like you have to spend $5,000 on a setting because you "invested" in a larger stone. Brilliantly Engaged does wonderful HW style cast halos and should be in your budget.

+1 and well said....I was struggling with saying something similar but not coming across in a mean way. It's one thing to recommend something a few hundred over budget, but quite another to insist they go for the $5k setting just because they have a big stone. Unless you're going to personally makeup the $$$ difference, let's keep in mind that the OP has already posted her setting budget of $2500 and has already stated that VC/SK/etc. is too expensive so let's try to help her find something within budget that she'll love.

I also highly recommend IDJ because I have personally worked with them and love what they do. I've never personally worked with BE and know they have had some recent fumbles, but their work also seems solid and beautiful.

fair75

Rough_Rock
In my opinion, you have a few choices if the hand-forged setting is too costly for you.

1. Call IDJ and have them help you. They are knowledgeable and highly regarded on Pricescope. I find their prices to be reasonable when compared to other vendors online. Most likely this might be your best route.

2. Visit some local jewelers and see what you like. Make sure you know what they are offering you and bargain with them. Local retail jewelers traditionally have much higher markup on both diamonds and settings.

3. Get a simple solitaire setting like someone already suggested. This kind of setting is great for showing off the center diamond when the stone is ideally cut. Everyone's attention will be on the diamond.

4. This could be the most cost effective way but it depends on who you know and if you are comfortable doing almost all the leg work. I know some people would actually get the ring casting they want from the diamond district. Of course, you will have to know what you are doing and who sells these castings. And then after that, they will bring the casting to a bench jeweler so the casting will be polished, plated and the diamond can be set. Typically, most people do not have access to these vendors/jewelers and hence most of us pay retail prices. However, for people who know the bench jewelers and where to get castings, the prices will be much lower than retail. But if all you want is a simple solitaire setting, then it may not be worth it to go this route even if you know where and who to go to. For more complex settings, it could be worth it for some people.

I believe that in most cases, having IDJ or other reputable vendors to guide and advise you would strike a balance between cost and value. But regardless of what you ultimately decide, always do your homework and comparison shop.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might also schedule an appointment with Yoni (Eternity by Yoni, formerly Eternity Diamonds)
https://www.eternitybyyoni.com
15 W. 47th St. - Suite 1800, NYC; contact page here:
https://www.eternitybyyoni.com/contact.php

I posted more about him a few months ago in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/eternity-by-yoni.223550/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/eternity-by-yoni.223550/[/URL]

fair75 said:
* * * 4. This could be the most cost effective way but it depends on who you know and if you are comfortable doing almost all the leg work. I know some people would actually get the ring casting they want from the diamond district. Of course, you will have to know what you are doing and who sells these castings. And then after that, they will bring the casting to a bench jeweler so the casting will be polished, plated and the diamond can be set. Typically, most people do not have access to these vendors/jewelers and hence most of us pay retail prices. However, for people who know the bench jewelers and where to get castings, the prices will be much lower than retail. But if all you want is a simple solitaire setting, then it may not be worth it to go this route even if you know where and who to go to. For more complex settings, it could be worth it for some people. * * *
I honestly don't know of any casting house in the Diamond District or NYC environs, or an independent "for hire" bench in the Diamond District (like those that do bench work for, e.g., Brilliantly Engaged, ID Jewelry, Diamonds by Lauren, and other Manhattan diamond-jewelry vendors), that is willing to work directly with consumers. (Their desire to work solely with those in the trade is understandable imo.) So if you have names and phone numbers/email addresses, fair, I hope you'll share! Although I'm not someone who'd want to be bothered with making a ring more of a DIY project & I am happy to pay a "middleman" to take care of it, I imagine there are others who would be keenly interested in the info.

P.S. for the OP: dri087, do you already have an insurance policy on the stone; if not, Jewelers Mutual is the only US personal jewelry insurer I know of that will cover a consumer's loose stone while it's being set, but think they currently allow just a 30-day window between purchase of the stone & it being mounted. Most jewelers-benches will not assume liability for loss of/damage to an "outside" stone, so that's something you want to nail down in your conversations with any of the ones you ask for price quotes.
Victor Canera is one of those; here's his answer to the question -- Do you accept customer-supplied center stones? -- on his FAQ page:
Clients may supply their own center stones provided that
a)We have available manufacturing capacity and time for pre-mount orders
b)The design requested is available without a center stone (as a pre-mount) from our catalog
c)That a customer supplied diamond is insured against damage during manufacturing.

https://www.victorcanera.com/service/faqs

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ac117|1472836512|4072617 said:

+1 and well said....I was struggling with saying something similar but not coming across in a mean way. It's one thing to recommend something a few hundred over budget, but quite another to insist they go for the $5k setting just because they have a big stone. Unless you're going to personally makeup the $$$ difference, let's keep in mind that the OP has already posted her setting budget of $2500 and has already stated that VC/SK/etc. is too expensive so let's try to help her find something within budget that she'll love.

I also highly recommend IDJ because I have personally worked with them and love what they do. I've never personally worked with BE and know they have had some recent fumbles, but their work also seems solid and beautiful.

She isn't looking at halos. She is looking at a solitaire with some pave on the shank and a little on the basket. I am quite sure VC does not charge $5k for that, because I have seen Emilya halo quotes for less than $5k very recently. I wouldn't be recommending a $5k ring for someone with a $2500 budget, but it would be worth it to me to pay a few hundred to a thousand more for a handforged setting for hopefully a lifetime of wear when I had invested in a very expensive diamond. However, I did post above that if she didn't want to go with SK, BE is probably the next best option.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the setting is that important return the diamond and get a smaller one. Youve clearly got a large budget, you could budget more for the setting if it's your dream setting.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1472863019|4072741 said:
ac117|1472836512|4072617 said:

She isn't looking at halos. She is looking at a solitaire with some pave on the shank and a little on the basket. I am quite sure VC does not charge $5k for that, because I have seen Emilya halo quotes for less than $5k very recently. I wouldn't be recommending a $5k ring for someone with a $2500 budget, but it would be worth it to me to pay a few hundred to a thousand more for a handforged setting for hopefully a lifetime of wear when I had invested in a very expensive diamond. However, I did post above that if she didn't want to go with SK, BE is probably the next best option.

This wasn't directed solely at you, but since you quoted my comment....the point is that she has already looked into that option and she herself has deemed it "way out of budget." You might get that quote and find it necessary or worth it, but she already has looked into that route and wants a similar design for less. VC charges more for larger diamonds so while it might not have been $5k, it obviously was too much for her to be comfortable with at this time.

I know you said hopefully, but we both know that just because it's hand forged doesn't mean that it'll last a lifetime or will be indestructible. My coworker has an Emilya halo, is hard on her rings, and has basically destroyed her struts so now she'll need to shell out more for another new setting (the Emilya was her second in 2 years and she spent $4k on the setting for her 2.5ct diamond).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call me an alarmist, but I'd want more than four prongs holding a 3+ carat stone.

BTW have you checked out Mark Morrell's designs? They're hand-forged and have lovely lines - but you'd probably have to choose between pave in the shank or the basket.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, just my 2C.

So when I bought my first upgrade (2.59 carats), I was averse to spending so much (or what seemed a lot) of money on my setting when I had already forked over a ton for my rock. I too fell in love with a setting by Victor, the Anne Marie. Long story short, I bought a different one from a local vendor, was still ultimately unsatisfied, and two years later went back and bought one from Victor, although not the Anne Marie. I ended up spending almost twice what the Anne Marie had originally cost.

I know everyone is different. Some people will be perfectly satisfied with another setting/maker, and will never look back. Others may continue to hanker for it, until they get it. I don't know which you are. Heck, I didn't know which I was, until I had spent the money on a major mistake.

Whichever way you go, I urge you to get to know yourself first. Figure out if you are sure you will be ok not getting a setting you have your heart set on, or the quality of the setting you have your heart set on. If you know you will be happy with any maker, and a non-handforged setting, great. If not, proceed with caution and think carefully.

Btw, I got one very similar to the one you are looking for, but with double claw prongs, from Victor. I don't have a stone for that setting anymore because I upgraded, and now it sits empty. But I have no regrets, strangely enough. I may use it in the future, or sell it.

Enjoy the process. Congrats on your engagement and finding a huge, gorgeous MRB!

dri0817

Rough_Rock
Hi All -

First, I would like to thank everyone for giving me your opinions and different options. After further discussing it with my SO, we really want to make sure we are doing it right, since "technically" I am only allowed one shot at this :)

I just kept going back to VC's website over and over again, so we decided that we should up the budget and get what I want! I would hate to go with another option and then not be happy with it and then go back and do it all over again.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it was very helpful and I can't wait to show off the ring!

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1472883233|4072821 said:
Ok, just my 2C.

So when I bought my first upgrade (2.59 carats), I was averse to spending so much (or what seemed a lot) of money on my setting when I had already forked over a ton for my rock. I too fell in love with a setting by Victor, the Anne Marie. Long story short, I bought a different one from a local vendor, was still ultimately unsatisfied, and two years later went back and bought one from Victor, although not the Anne Marie. I ended up spending almost twice what the Anne Marie had originally cost.

I know everyone is different. Some people will be perfectly satisfied with another setting/maker, and will never look back. Others may continue to hanker for it, until they get it. I don't know which you are. Heck, I didn't know which I was, until I had spent the money on a major mistake.

Whichever way you go, I urge you to get to know yourself first. Figure out if you are sure you will be ok not getting a setting you have your heart set on, or the quality of the setting you have your heart set on. If you know you will be happy with any maker, and a non-handforged setting, great. If not, proceed with caution and think carefully.

Btw, I got one very similar to the one you are looking for, but with double claw prongs, from Victor. I don't have a stone for that setting anymore because I upgraded, and now it sits empty. But I have no regrets, strangely enough. I may use it in the future, or sell it.

Enjoy the process. Congrats on your engagement and finding a huge, gorgeous MRB!

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: LLJsmom let me know if you ever want to sell it!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for BE
Call Chris at BE.
Good luck

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dri0817|1473186189|4073761 said:
Hi All -

First, I would like to thank everyone for giving me your opinions and different options. After further discussing it with my SO, we really want to make sure we are doing it right, since "technically" I am only allowed one shot at this :)

I just kept going back to VC's website over and over again, so we decided that we should up the budget and get what I want! I would hate to go with another option and then not be happy with it and then go back and do it all over again.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it was very helpful and I can't wait to show off the ring!

Looking forward to see what Victor will create for you. Have you decided on a design yet?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if that is what you had your heart set on, you will be really happy with it. You can always modify it to have no pave in the basket to make it a bit cheaper.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dri0817|1473186189|4073761 said:
Hi All -

Yay!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: You will never regret getting quality in the first place. Regrets usually end up costing us more in the end!

dri0817

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I am finally engaged!! I am beyond happy with my ring and I really think we made the right decision to choose Victor for the setting. He listened to all of my requests and gave honest feedback. He was speedy and his customer service team was great to work with. His work is just amazing and I cannot stop staring at it :love:

Thank you all that gave me advice and I am truly happy with how everything turned out!

Special shoutout to frankiextah for being my diamond fairy and connecting me with VC :dance:

img_9916.jpg

img_9919.jpg

img_9922.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning!! Congratulations!! :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results