shape
carat
color
clarity

I would appreciate your opinions of this engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikenjersey

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone on Pricescope,
Since you people know way more about diamonds then me I was wondering what you thought about the ring Im debating buying.
Its a 3 stone ring from Blue Nile...

The center stone is http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD01127025?filter_id=8
And these are the sidestones http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.jsp?filter_id=8&pid2=LD01059283&pid3=LD01082510

Im wondering if the quality is good enough. I am far from a diamond expert and so is my girlfriend so I dont need the perfect diamond, not to mention Im on a budget. That said I do want a diamond that is a respectable quality and has quite a bit of fire.

What do you think of the ring and quality?
Thanks for the advice

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Center stone has too steep an pavilion angle for the crown angle.

Side stones are ok, but of slightly of a different characteristics.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is better for the center stone. Slightly lower in color at H.

mikenjersey

Rough_Rock
do you think that will make a difference to the naked eye? The proportions are not that far off are they?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn't go that deep (aside from the angles issue). You want a well cut 1 ct. stone to have about a 6.5mm diameter. If I wanted a 1 ct., I'd want it to look like one. Try to find a stone with a depth of 60-62.0.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:59:38 PM
Author: mikenjersey
do you think that will make a difference to the naked eye? The proportions are not that far off are they?
But the angle is different. The original stone's angle will result in light leakage through the pavilion making the stone less brilliant.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to stay in the same price range for the 1 carat stone, try dropping color to an H. I agree with others about the center stone - I''d keep looking.

mikenjersey

Rough_Rock
do you think H color is okay with platinum?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure H color is OK with platinum. There are TONS of pictures on this website of diamonds of all colors in platinum, including I''s and J''s and even lower - with a truly ideal cut, odds are very high you won''t even notice the color
1.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I have an I/J colored stone (depending on if you talk to GIA or my jeweler) in platinum and its very icy white thanks to the fact that its cut very well.

I''m no diamond expert either but from everything that I''ve learned from these lovely folks I would agree to keep looking for a different center stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, looks like a good stone from the numbers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mikenjersey

Rough_Rock
Cool, thanks for the advice on the center stone.
How should i check that it is ''eyeclean'' by asking BlueNile? Can I trust them? I feel like since they are trying to sell a diamond ofcourse they are going to say that its eyeclean.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Iirc, BN carries virtual stock. So there''s no way they can verify the eye-cleanliness of the stone without going thru another party...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 8:11:10 PM
Author: mikenjersey
Cool, thanks for the advice on the center stone.
How should i check that it is 'eyeclean' by asking BlueNile? Can I trust them? I feel like since they are trying to sell a diamond ofcourse they are going to say that its eyeclean.
All you can do is to ask them and say you have great eyesight and high expectations. Hopefully they should come through and get an accurate description from whoever has the diamond. I am glad you passed on the first diamond, it is what we call a steep deep, both crown and pavilion angles are not a good combo to work efficiently together, light leakage is often the result.

The diamond you chose looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results