shape
carat
color
clarity

I wish I could make up my mind!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
So I''m absolutely driving the lovely, understanding Rhino @ GOG nuts, I''m sure. Jon, if you read this I am so so so sorry I''m being such a difficult customer. It''s just a LOT of money so I want to be positive in what I choose.
15.gif
Honestly, I have never had better customer service buying ANYTHING though. Good Old Gold is just too awesome for words.
9.gif

...now if I can just pick a spec and stay with it!!

I started with a Jubilee cut, then moved to a PoH, now I''m back to a Jube. Then I changed clarity. Again. AND AGAIN. Then color. And fluor. Repeatedly. Finally I changed size from a 1.50 to a 2.00+

The 1.50 would be higher color. The 2.00 lower in color and clarity. Neither can exceed $10,000.

Now, I think (*think*) I want a 1.50 PoH or Jube in a trap halo (to make it look bigger
11.gif
). Then we can save up and upgrade to a high color, high clarity 2.50+ later. Good idea, right?

....what would you do?
---Would you get a lower color, lower clarity LARGER stone OR
---Would you get higher color, higher clarity SMALLER stone with the hope (no guarantee) that you can upgrade in a few years?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The answer will depend on the person. What colors are we talkin''?

BTW, I love the jubes and POHs...but after seeing the GOG video the jubes edge out ahead IM(personal)O.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
F being the higher, J/K being the lower.

I love Jubes, but it would be way harder to put it in a trap halo. heh.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those cuts really show color ... much more than an ideal cut RB. I wouldn''t go to J or K except in an antique cut + antique-style setting.

So I vote 1.5 ct "F".

Trap halo? Do you mean one with custom cut trap stones? I''ve heard that is VERY expensive ... have you priced it yet? Are you SURE about a step cut halo around a more brilliant cut center. It doesn''t fit right in my head, but may be terrific on the hand ... who knows?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I agree that Jon is the most patient vendor that I ever had the opportunity to work with. And with his knowledge of all things diamond, it''s a win, win combo.

I personally would go no lower than a G in colour and a VS2 in clarity. With a J/K you''ll see colour - if not from the top, probably from the side. I like white diamonds! There are lots of SI''s out there and many claim they''re eye clean, but when I see the plot diagram of an SI, I''m turned off.
38.gif

BELLA9280

Shiny_Rock
J or K!!!! i say stick with the 1.5 when a ring is 2ct u see everything including color!! go with the 1.5 and be happy most people would die for that!! dont think about upgrades already u didnt even get the ring yet!! just make sure u get something that u love

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nebe!

Just wanted to pop by say that I used to have a J color Jubilee (also from GOG!), and that mine looked pretty dang white. (It did have med. fluorescence, so that probably played a role.) My feeling is that you might have to see it in person to determine whether or not you''ll be cool with the color.

I''m with Deco about not being so sure about how a step cut halo will look with a brilliant center. But maybe it would totally work! There have been a couple of halo''d Jubes around here. One was made by Quest and one''s a Leon (pretty sure you can find it on his site). Might be good eye candy.
1.gif

Best of luck with your decision. Whichever direction you choose, you''ll end up with a winner!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I'd get the J, if it bothered me I'd return it. Then I'd get the F. IF those were my only two options.

I'd get an eyeclean SI (1-2) G-H ideally though and shoot for a 1.8.

Both those cuts are deep, like princesses. So I'd definitely try to get the most spread I could FIRST. But if your halo-ing it... the spread may not be a big concern of yours.

You're doing a trap halo with a brilliant cut white diamond center? I'd beg someone nicely to photoshop a jubilee or a Poh into the setting you are considering before you do that. HIGHLY recommend it.

As deco said, it's an expensive setting. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a higher color 2 carat center with the $$, in a simple and affordable setting, so you can just upgrade your setting later? If you upgrade your stone... that setting while lovely isn't going to work for it. And if you want it set with a colored stone afterward... make sure the depth of a colored stone would work in the setting you have made, colored stones are cut deeper than diamonds normally (when well cut) to maximize color depth.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are antique cut rounds or cushions, and the setting is well... not ideally constructed... but this might give you an idea of what a brilliant (ish) cut would look like in a baguette halo. I'd really have someone photoshop me a the cut I wanted into a pic of a baguette/trap halo, cause it's going to be a very distinctive look. Who are you considering as a vendor to do the project. Isaku and I have both priced out bag halos with MULTIPLE vendors, so if you need help, just ask.

earrings185.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here is one with a fancy colored radiant center. The bag halo works fabulous with colored stones. I'd just want to 'see' it with a white brillant cut, personally.

ISAKU%20setting.jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I would go with higher color and a "smaller" diamond (the sizes you are into are still very large!)...I had a larger diamond with lower color ("I") and ended out switching (for a variety of reasons, but color being one!).

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree higher colour smaller stone but I like colorless diamonds

1.5 ct''s is still quite sizable and with a halo will look more gianormous as well

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you will be able to decide until you see them in person. I agree with Gypsy, get the J and then work back from that if you don''t like it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are wanting to upgrade later, I wouldn''t get a halo now. Seems a rather expensive move to not be able to use it with the larger upgrade stone....

I''d probably try for a larger stone now, H, and the lowest clarity I could find, that is eyeclean.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d get the higher color 1.5 hand probably halo it, even with the possible future upgrade. Coming from someone who has had an upgrade in the works for over a year, life sometimes just gets in the way so you really don''t know when of if you''ll be able to do it any time soon. might as well get a ring that you can enjoy and love now. I do agree with gypsy and deco about the trap halo though, do get a good look b/f you spend that kind of $ on the setting, i''d be worried about the gorgeous qualities of the stone you are choosing would get lost or over taken in that kind of setting, or just not really look right.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally would go with the smaller stone (it''s still huge!!) and the F colour or maybe hold on a bit until you can get a diamond in the middle of the 1.5 and 2.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2007 10:59:13 PM
Author: decodelighted
Those cuts really show color ... much more than an ideal cut RB. I wouldn't go to J or K except in an antique cut + antique-style setting.

So I vote 1.5 ct 'F'.

Trap halo? Do you mean one with custom cut trap stones? I've heard that is VERY expensive ... have you priced it yet? Are you SURE about a step cut halo around a more brilliant cut center. It doesn't fit right in my head, but may be terrific on the hand ... who knows?
Deco,
Are you sure the PoH and Jubes show more colour? I have a H RB and a J Jube and both are just as white. In certain lighting, the Jube is a bit warmer, but not overly so. Of course, a 2 ct J Jube will be much warmer than a 1 ct J Jube. Jubes are cut with the brilliance of an ideal cut RB so it hides both colour and clarity very well.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I love how we''re all calling the 1.5ct "small." Even comparatively. Nebe, sweetie, 3/4 of America would give up limbs for a 1.5ct. diamond - and considering it sounds like the better quality stone, I''d say get that one. And then stop thinking about upgrades already - you haven''t even gotten the first ring yet!!
3.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
For me, personally, I would rather have the 1.5 F stone than a 2ct J stone....but, that''s just me....I wouldnt go below G for a ring...My stones have to me mind-clean for me as well!
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2007 8:25:21 AM
Author: Chrono
Date: 11/7/2007 10:59:13 PM
Author: decodelighted
Those cuts really show color ... much more than an ideal cut RB. I wouldn''t go to J or K except in an antique cut + antique-style setting.
Deco,
Are you sure the PoH and Jubes show more colour? I have a H RB and a J Jube and both are just as white. In certain lighting, the Jube is a bit warmer, but not overly so. Of course, a 2 ct J Jube will be much warmer than a 1 ct J Jube. Jubes are cut with the brilliance of an ideal cut RB so it hides both colour and clarity very well.
Actually, I guess "no" ... I''m not sure. I was comparing the cuts to Princesses or Radiants that I *know* to show more color, especially in the 2ct range ... because those were the closest in looks I could think of. If they do somehow mimic the color-correcting quality of Ideal Cut RBs -- maybe a different story??? But I think I''d stay higher color in a non-antique cut.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the help everyone!!

I have a terrible obsession with size (as does FH for that matter) but I''m now thinking that a higher quality, smaller (no, 1.5 isn''t small, it''s just smaller than I originally wanted) stone in a regular or trap halo will do nicely. I have a prong set halo RHR now and if you look from the top a few feet away which is the norm anyway, you can''t even tell the center diamond size. Originally I didn''t want to ever think about upgrading, but I think it''s just a better option for me.

I''ll go with and keep a 1.5 until I can go over a 2.5, I think
11.gif
I know women in the rest of the country would give a right arm for a diamond that big but... I''m not most women
2.gif
FH is not a jewelry buyin man either, so I have a feeling my dream stone will by my department, which is fine, it may just take 10 years.
12.gif

Thanks again for all the input, you guys are just so wonderful!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results