shape
carat
color
clarity

I wish brooches would come back

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''ve *always* worn brooches. I don''t think they are ever out of style. I love to give or receive pins. It''s a compliment to honor a strong, independent, stylish women. Since Arts & Crafts pins tend to be geometric and more masculine, many of my guy A&C collector''s wear them on their lapel.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Widget,

Glad you like my butterfly brooch. I value your opinion. It''s one of my favorites. The picture does not do the brooch justice. The green and pink areas in the wings are actually plique-a-jour enamel. They are transparent when you hold the pin against the light. The picture does not capture the tranparency. Plique-a jour was a popular technique during the Art Nouveau era. Those of you who have been to the French Jewelry exhibition currentlly at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco would have seen great examples of plique-a-jour enamel brooches by Lalique himself and other famous jewelers of that period. I thought the exhibition is worth going to just to see the original Art Nouveau pieces.

AN

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
JustJulia I went on a brooch kick last fall, I found a lovely old one at a yard sale and started hunting them out elsewhere. I live in New England where outerwear ends up being the most seen peice of any wardrobe, and I love brightening up my coats with a bit of color or sparkle. Find some you lvoe and wear them with pride! Art Nouveau your collection is stunning!

And "here here!" on men''s hats, I''d like to see those some back in force too!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 3:00:40 PM
Author: Art Nouveau
Widget,

Glad you like my butterfly brooch. I value your opinion. It''s one of my favorites. The picture does not do the brooch justice. The green and pink areas in the wings are actually plique-a-jour enamel. They are transparent when you hold the pin against the light. The picture does not capture the tranparency. Plique-a jour was a popular technique during the Art Nouveau era. Those of you who have been to the French Jewelry exhibition currentlly at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco would have seen great examples of plique-a-jour enamel brooches by Lalique himself and other famous jewelers of that period. I thought the exhibition is worth going to just to see the original Art Nouveau pieces.

AN
Duh! What was I thinking? Of course I know plique-a-jour!

I think what got me on the tourmaline kick was a piece i saw once (I think by Carrera y Carrera) that actually did use carved watermelon tourmaline for butterfly wings)

Anyway, yummy brooch!

widget

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I have been wearing pins/brooches on my jackets for a couple years now, ever since my mom got me a cute shoe pin... all mine are SS/CZ costume jewelry, I like to browse antique shops for nice vintage stuff.

I just wear what I like, obviously nothing way out there, but if it makes me happy, I go for it!!
9.gif

ETA: AN - awesome collection!
30.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What about a brooch that can also be a pendant? I like brooches too, they are classic.

I actually found a vintage rhinestone one today while walking down the street. I''m such a magpie I never miss anything that sparkles.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 4:30:03 AM
Author: Art Nouveau
Widget,

Thanks for your kind words. I do have quite a few brooches. I have been collecting brooches for years. I wear them all the time. I don''t care whether they are in or not. A nice brooch can definitely dress up a blazer or jacket. I have posted a few before previously. I do not have photos of all my brooches, but I will try to take some next weekend. My avatar is a genuine Art Nouveau period iridescent enamel brooch. The enamel is not in percfect condition, but I love the colors of the enamel and the soft flowing lines of the piece.

AN
AN, what wonderful taste you have.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 5:34:19 PM
Author: innerkitten
What about a brooch that can also be a pendant? I like brooches too, they are classic.

I actually found a vintage rhinestone one today while walking down the street. I''m such a magpie I never miss anything that sparkles.
You know what, I have a pendant I bet would make a lovely brooch. You''ve just given me a great idea....

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
My little circle of life... looks good on a collar.

tiny pinonpenny.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results